Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: GameMaker vs MMF2  (Read 4345 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: November 29, 2016, 07:08:12 PM »
I know at the end it comes down to personal preferences, but what are your thoughts? Which has a steeper learning curve? Which is more versatile?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
Are you trying to make a Castlevania fangame? I've been trying to make one for 12 years and my coder keeps abandoning the project. Anyway, I've used Game Maker, MMF2, and Construct 2. MMF2 and Construct 2 are pretty good. Game Maker was ok, but I was using a really early build from way back in the day. They're probably a lot better now.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:13:43 PM »
Are you trying to make a Castlevania fangame?

No, Megaman X.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 06:38:21 PM »
I feel it depends more on your prior experience. I for instance started learning programming way back when they still taught VisualBASIC and C in college. So I'm very comfortable with GameMaker's GML. And to be honest if you are going to use GameMaker you should rely on scripting everything yourself than using the built-in drag-and-drop interface. It does the job when making simple projects, but GML is where it's at for real game creation.

I don't know much about the others.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »
Tried both, multiple versions over the years.

GM > MMF/CTF

The former's much more user-friendly IMO, whereas x Fusion have a bit less versatility. I stuck with GM though, so maybe I just don't have enough time using x Fusion.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:19:26 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »
I say GM as well. Ive used it for years and tried pretty much everything else under the sun but always come back to GM. Its actually incredibly powerful for 2d games if you get into GML and basically just use GM as an IDE for making games and tools instead of an all in one system. Its room editor is its biggest downfall

I wish theyd make a 3d centric version... REAL 3d... models... skeletal system... blending and ik... but with all the same ability of GML in 2d

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 08:34:49 PM »
I wish theyd make a 3d centric version... REAL 3d... models... skeletal system... blending and ik... but with all the same ability of GML in 2d

If you want something like that your best bet would be Unity. It's supposed to be nice, but it has a steep learning curve.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 08:31:51 PM »
I hate Unity... Its way overly complicated... not complex... needlessly complicated. Unreal Engine is good though and Id take it any day over Unity

But no... I mean literally gamemaker but made for 3d

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:21:57 AM »
I'm really curious about GM2. Seems they have made a lot of changes to it. Sucks I'm going to have to throw more money at it.
PS- Yeah. The room editor is a sad mess for no good reason. Just a few simple changes ant it would rock.
"Stuff and things."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »
The amount of times I have GameMaker games that don't run right, crash, wont start, etc is ungodly. I wouldn't recommend it for a second.

Unity is great. Go for that. Despite what someone here says it's not overly complicated. I come from making my own engines to Unity thinking "god damn this is so simple".

Tags:

anything