Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Faked deaths on the internet  (Read 8278 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:04:15 PM »
I've just came across a faked death case on a forum I'm a member of. The member who had supposedly "died" was a very loved and appreciated member of the forum who contributed a lot to it.
I was not such an active member of that forum, but I've read many messages by the member, and when a message has been posted about his supposed "death", I responded with some words of empathy.
After the death has been revealed as a fake, it also turned out nothing about the member was real: his photos were fake and he never really got personal with any of the other members. Of course the one who posted his death message was the same member with a different username.
It was shocking, as he managed to fool so many people, including the owner of the forum, for so long.

I've heard there have been many cases like this, of people faking deaths on online communities. Did any of you come across such cases? What benefit can one gain from faking his own death online?
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:34:26 PM »
In Reply To #1

This is Slayer's brother. I just walked into his room and he died from vidya giehms. I will now ask for a moment of internet silence.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
*flushes Slayer down the toilet.*

He'll be sorely missed.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Faked deaths on the internet
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:08:46 PM »
Why can't people just die like real men?

It's like a bandaid: one motion -- RIGHT OFF!

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:10:47 AM »
People that do that are usually extremely hopeless people in real life. They have no friends, sit in front of their computers all day, and are usually overweight, so they masquerade themselves over a computer monitor, and try to get people to think they are something they aren't.

It really is pitiful. I've dealt with quite a few people like this, and I can only say they were dealt with accordingly (Most painfully I assure you).
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Bizarro Belmont

• WHAT?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »
Shame they don't have a 7-year waiting period like folks who really do fake their death and try to cash in on the rewards.

Off-subject, but I remember someone throwing up a very convincing 9th edition poster and fooled some 350 people on MTGSalvation until he just confessed and said he did it for a photoshop project or something. Even more ironic one of the cards he joked about being in the set (Jester's Cap) was in!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:43:33 AM by Bizarro Belmont »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
I wonder if Smiling Bob faked his death.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »
What benefit can one gain from faking his own death online?
attention whoring.

there are people who can't stand being lonely, yet do nothing about it. they do this probably to draw others' attention to themselves.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 12:51:22 AM »
Any comments, Redrum?

*ducks*

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 03:34:20 AM »
Every time I have an Asian girl, Brazilian honey, redheaded Irish lass... Well, any kind of girl really -- staying the night at my house, I die and go to heaven.

MOBIUS R.I.P. - Nine times this year and counting

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:09:07 AM »
Every time I have an Asian girl, Brazilian honey, redheaded Irish lass... Well, any kind of girl really -- staying the night at my house, I die and go to heaven.

MOBIUS R.I.P. - Nine times this year and counting

Yeah. Speaking of attention whoring, no one gives a damn.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »
Wait, so Mobius is a tranny lesbian? Guy -tranny op-> Girl -decides-> to like girls? Couldn't you have just like skipped that middle step and been straight and cool like normal people?

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »
Well, as long as you don't turn out like Uzo, you're fine in my book Mobius.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
In Reply To #13

This poster is definitely not straight and cool. Also needs to use less jap naming conventions for American produced games.

Offline Dr. Mario

• A PC
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »
In Reply To #14

KAPOW! Trolling the wrong guy uzo. Nice try though.
-------------------
I'm a PC and I like cheeseburgers. Sometimes more than one.

Tags: