Poll

Should all illegal drugs be legalized?

I believe the Constitution protects an individual's right to ingest whatever substance they want.
5 (29.4%)
Illegal drugs should remain strictly illegal because of the dangers they pose to our society.
11 (64.7%)
I don't know.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Legalization of drugs in the U.S.  (Read 10962 times)

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 11:06:04 AM »
In Reply To #14

If the dose were measured and it weren't as addictive, people would have less of a chance of ODing and they probably wouldn't do it as much. Part of the harm of heroin is the toll it takes on one's body because of years of repeated addictive use. That, and people know they aren't doing themselves any favors when they do drugs like that. They know what they're getting into. Like I said, we can't and shouldn't protect everyone from themselves.

If you're walking thru your school hall smelling marijuana smoke, your school has a problem. Just thought you should know that. Just as you aren't allowed to drink alcohol on a school campus, I'm not saying you should be allowed to smoke weed either.

Were drugs to be legalized, there wouldn't BE any blocks or schools locked down for searches (which are illegal in many cases). I'm NOT advocating rampant unchecked public drug use, I'm saying, we treat it the same way we do alcohol.

As for your friend, my heart goes out to her, but she's an exception rather than the rule. That, and as I said before, if there were less of a stigma attached to drug use, I bet her mother would have gotten the help she needed. Her mother is a fool, but just because she's a fool, that means everyone else, who CAN get their priorities straight has to be criminalized?

Alcohol has negative side effects. Cigarettes have negative side effects. A lot of foods have negative side effects. Yet, these are all legal. Your point?

IF we're ever going to begin to fix the problems that drugs create in this country, we're going to have to get past these Puritanical ideas we have of them first.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:11:30 AM by DoctaMario »

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 11:51:02 PM »
Majority of violence in the US is drug related. Gang wars, territory...etc. Another majority of deaths is related to alcohol. Smoking is bad for you, but it's legal. Hell even some cigarette companies are putting the gonja in the cigarettes to make them addictive (Marlboro does this)

Weed? Isn't harmful. It actually kills cancer cells in your throat to prevent throat cancer. It also doesn't impair your brain. How? Your brain makes natural THC (why do you think you get the urge of hunger?) Most people who act stupid on the gonja are putting too much THC in their system. I smoke it regularly, it doesn't "destroy" my life has the media wants to tell you. Hell I use to goto sleep at night and to wake up. If I smoke it the night before and wake up I wake up 1. More focused, 2. Relaxed, 3. Energized and can get my work done with no problems.

It's kind of sad how they state that it can cause mental disorders which is an oxymoron because it can prevent mental disorders such as people with depression. You can cook it, you can make clothes out of it, even grade it into certain building materials to build houses and cars, maybe even a gas source. Clothes, food...etc.

Hell, it's also friendly to our earth and air. Why? The plant actually produces more air than your regular tree... So lets just say what will happen when the earth is over populated by more mass of stupid, you would need more trees to cut down to build homes...etc. How the heck are we going to get our air? Pot plants.

It's a plant. Cave men smoked it, My ancestors (Native Americans) smoked it. African Americans smoked it, face it everyone has. But I don't see why it is not legal...

...Maybe: It's the drug business. Not illegal drugs you foo' but medicine like morphine, anti-depressants, would in reality would lose their billions if not trillions of dollars because one drug is legalized. It's just how things work.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 07:45:58 AM »
Majority of violence in the US is drug related. Gang wars, territory...etc. Another majority of deaths is related to alcohol. Smoking is bad for you, but it's legal. Hell even some cigarette companies are putting the gonja in the cigarettes to make them addictive (Marlboro does this)

Weed? Isn't harmful. It actually kills cancer cells in your throat to prevent throat cancer. It also doesn't impair your brain. How? Your brain makes natural THC (why do you think you get the urge of hunger?) Most people who act stupid on the gonja are putting too much THC in their system. I smoke it regularly, it doesn't "destroy" my life has the media wants to tell you. Hell I use to goto sleep at night and to wake up. If I smoke it the night before and wake up I wake up 1. More focused, 2. Relaxed, 3. Energized and can get my work done with no problems.

While I agree with just about all of that, it can also have different side effects depending on who is smoking it , I tried it a few times but it always made me feel paranoid so I've never smoked it since.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Thaddeus

• Sensitive Iga-basher
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Legalization of drugs in the U.S.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 11:31:14 AM »

It's kind of sad how they state that it can cause mental disorders which is an oxymoron because it can prevent mental disorders such as people with depression. You can cook it, you can make clothes out of it, even grade it into certain building materials to build houses and cars, maybe even a gas source. Clothes, food...etc.

Hell, it's also friendly to our earth and air. Why? The plant actually produces more air than your regular tree... So lets just say what will happen when the earth is over populated by more mass of stupid, you would need more trees to cut down to build homes...etc. How the heck are we going to get our air? Pot plants.

It's a plant. Cave men smoked it, My ancestors (Native Americans) smoked it. African Americans smoked it, face it everyone has. But I don't see why it is not legal...

...Maybe: It's the drug business. Not illegal drugs you foo' but medicine like morphine, anti-depressants, would in reality would lose their billions if not trillions of dollars because one drug is legalized. It's just how things work.

Well put.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 05:15:40 PM »
There is one thing good about drugs. They kill off the weak.

LOL!! That IS true.....but I still said no. There are enough problems in the world already. I can almost guarantee that if drugs were legalized, we'd have a huge increase in the number of drug users and wierdness in the U.S. I'm sure therer are some people that are dying to try drugs, just too scared of getting caught.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 10:50:31 PM »
Weed? Isn't harmful. It actually kills cancer cells in your throat to prevent throat cancer.

But aren't we bypassing the actual fact that one would still be inhaling foreign matter, which consists of so many carcinogens. There's just no way to get around that negative side, in the terms of smoking. The properties of "weed" might kill off that certain cancer, but the carcinogens would still infiltrate ones airway. (Not to mention tar build up, with people who go extreme.) It's not like the bad stuff just vanishes, over time it can certainly accumulate and afflict negatively on the body, though everyone is different in handling the stuff.

I respect the ways of your ancestors and I don't want to offend anyone, but I just don't understand the need for, smoking, marijuana or any of those more serious drugs. I can get the exact same feeling that weed would probably have after a single workout session. As in being focused, relaxed, and energized after a nice weightlifting session/run... and I don't gain the negative aspects of smoking, like with the constriction/slowing of the vascular system and possible risks of cancers. I actually improve my vascular system, let a lone every other aspect of my body.

Diabetics, like me, can be picky on stuff like this. Smoking and doing drugs isn't a "natural" healthy staple in the human diet, so I just avoid it.

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 04:18:26 AM »
Interesting reply. Yes that is true. But tar build up only happens when "tar" is put in to the chemicals. Cigarettes never used to have tar in them. The only reason why tar exist in cigarettes is to make them more addicting by todays standards. Cigarettes never used to be addicting at all. Weed on the other hand isn't addicting either. I can stay clear off of it for for months if I chose without any negitive feedback.

Now here is another interesting fact. I'm not religious. But I find it funny when it the bible it states that god said "I give you all the herb in the land. Weed isn't a drug, it is a plant that our earth grows and for reasons it grows. It is 100% natural like tabaco wsas back in the 60s thru the 80s.

Besides if weed was legalized in the US there would be a huge   % drop in violence. Its majority of other drugs like meth, coke...etc. that should stay illegal because they are not natural.

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 07:17:39 PM »
In Reply To #22

Oh, lol. I meant like the type of tar that just builds up from the debris one would intake on the inhale of a cig or dewbie. I wouldn't think that either or would make a difference in the end, when it comes to just having smoke enter the lungs. I do realize the seriousness of the tar "chemically fused tar" in cigs though and it's not cool at all that the companies allow such practices. And with my natural part, I was just referring to our body. I understand that the marijuana leaf is a natural plant, like tobacco. Though the way we roll it up and administer it in the form of smoking (or chewing, but doesn't apply much to my case) isn't natural.

I'm just a guy who wants to be as healthy as possible. Smoking, whether it be normal cigs or a dewbie, would give me relaxation and reduce stresses. No doubt. But... doing so would only be doing it for the moment, short term benefits so to speak... and ultimately would have great consequences over time. (Such as amputation of my legs, due to a constricted vascular system, heart disease and lose use of my eyes.)

That's why I choose to exercise and like I said, it would give me all the same benefits as a cigarette/dewb and actually increase my particular life expectancy. Long term benefits so to speak.

And as for legalization. I'm not sure on that, you could go both ways really. :/

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 09:18:44 PM »
In Reply To #22

Oh, so because it's from nature it's okay to take it in, right?

Kay. Brew me some hemlock while you're at it. And just stick your hand in a rattlesnake pit. Those come from nature too!

Rath

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
In Reply To #24

*cue SFA3 KO s.e.*

You just did a custom combo to Marijuana.

Offline Thaddeus

• Sensitive Iga-basher
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 11:45:48 PM »
In Reply To #22

Oh, so because it's from nature it's okay to take it in, right?

No, because it's your body it's okay to take it in (or choose not to take it in). :)

For me this isn't a health issue. Obesity is the #1 killer of Americans -- not marijuana (or even harder drugs). The cost associated with providing medical care to people suffering from obesity-related illnesses is also a heavy burden on the tax payer, but the Federal Government isn't trying to illegalize Little Debbie snack cakes or McDonalds. Why is that?

I would wager each year in the U.S. more people are addicted to, and die from, eating fastfood, than all of the drug related deaths combined. Something to think about...

Offline Thaddeus

• Sensitive Iga-basher
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 11:53:05 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/conditions/01/21/obesity.spending.ap/

The CDC released an estimate that taxpayers foot the doctor's bill for more than half of obesity-related medical costs, which reached a total of $75 billion in 2003.

I guess my point is, given the number of premature deaths associated with obesity, and the burden on the taxpayer, by your logic do you think fatty foods should be illegalized?

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 02:26:24 AM »

The CDC released an estimate that taxpayers foot the doctor's bill for more than half of obesity-related medical costs, which reached a total of $75 billion in 2003.

I guess my point is, given the number of premature deaths associated with obesity, and the burden on the taxpayer, by your logic do you think fatty foods should be illegalized?

I agree obescity is a big problem here but it's do to abuse of the fast food industry, the food is dangerous to ones health if it's eaten like 3 times a day, but eaten say once every 2 weeks or less it's pretty much harmless. It's all moderation.
_______________________________________ ______________

Tags:

anything