Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dracula Untold?  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Prologue (extended)

imo, still unmatched till this day

Completely agree. This is a great example of a Vlad>Dracula bridge, and a greater movie (except maybe Lucy being a giant slut, that was kind of annoying).

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 01:03:38 AM »
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Prologue (extended)

imo, still unmatched till this day

Unmatched and unrivaled to this day.

Never did see Dracula Untold and have no real desire to. If it similar to LoS then obviously I have no interest.

(except maybe Lucy being a giant slut, that was kind of annoying).

Maybe when she was a vampire but that's in their nature as a vampire's sex drive is ten times pumped up then that of a human  :o  However, before she became a vampire she wasn't a slut. Mina narrated her friend as a pure and virtuous girl and she was simply checking out her suitors at the party. Virgins aren't sluts as they have yet to do the deed. Lucy just acts the way she does because she is a free sprite and has not been forced to conform to the strict laws of the church. And if she has then she just ignores it and lets her true self shine through.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 02:18:10 AM »
In the movie, I meant. Lucy's all over every guy barring Renfield and Dr. Van Helsing in the Coppola film. Just look at her dialogue involving Quincy's bowie knife:

Quote from: Totally Not A Slut
Oh, Quincy, it's so big...can I touch it?

Or her obssession with Arabian Nights early in the film, much to Mina's disgust. Aaaand also the heavy implications she banged Wolf-Bat Drac more than a few times before turning.

I suppose she's not a slut in the pure technicality of the word as she's not fucking dudes out of wedlock, but she still acts pretty loose .
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:20:58 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 07:28:14 AM »
I really enjoyed the movie. It's probably the best "B-action" movie I've seen lately.

I especially love the ending. There's no was the producers of this movie didn't not play Lords of Shadow or get any influence from it.

Speaking of, Luke Evans wouldn't make a bad Gabriel and Charles Dance would make a FANTASTIC Zobek.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
I really enjoyed the movie. It's probably the best "B-action" movie I've seen lately.

I especially love the ending. There's no was the producers of this movie didn't not play Lords of Shadow or get any influence from it.

Speaking of, Luke Evans wouldn't make a bad Gabriel and Charles Dance would make a FANTASTIC Zobek.

I agree with all of that.  That end scene really sealed it, Dance *was* Zobek through and through during that end scene.

It wil definitely be interesting to see how the reboot of the Universal Monsters franchise goes, following this.  It would be amusing if they did go for the twist and make Ingeras (Drac's son) turn out to be 'Count Alucard' (Drac in disguise in Son of Dracula.

It's also just struck me that a certain scene with Vlad and Mirena reminded me a bit of Gabriel and Marie's reunion in LoS2.  Plus, there was the bit where Vlad yelling Mirena's name did sound oddly enough like him yelling 'Marie'.  Just think about it as well, Mirena is closer to Marie than it is to say, Ilona (the name of Vlad III's second wife), or Elizabeta (which pops up occassionally as a name possibility for his first wife, the one who fell from Poenari into the Arges).  Vlad's castle looked quite Castlevania-y in some shots as well.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:43:07 AM by tatteredseraph »
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 10:09:15 AM »
Just got back from seeing the movie and I liked it, in a cheezy B movie type of way.

And holy hell I think the director played alot of Lords of Shadow because there's some scenes (and the ending especially) that are taken straight from LOS1.

Also, if what the rumors are true about the universal monster saga, it'll be interesting to se how The Mummy and Frankenstein are connected.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »
@Dracula9:

I was referring to the movie and yeah Lucy is pretty lose. As for the bit about her getting it on with Dracula in the maze garden, that was Dracula pushing Lucy's desires over the max. In essence she was under his spell through her own human weaknesses. She even mentions this to Mina as the two are heading back to her house. "Something pulled me and lured me, and I had no control..."
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 12:49:44 AM »
OK. Just finished watching it. It wasn't bad.
The main story was an interesting take on the origin of Dracula.
Would have liked it if they had used more details from the original novel.
The ending was practically ripped off from Lords of Shadow with a pinch of Bram Stoker.
Could have done without that, honestly. Especially since I seriously doubt there will be a sequel.
One thing I liked about it is that Dracula's powers, even as a newborn, are more on par with Imhotep from the Mummy.

All in all I give it a 7/10.

EDIT:

Huh. Did you guys know that this is supposed to be the first film in a new cinematic universe to reboot the original Universal movie monsters?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:11:42 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 07:32:53 AM »
Yes Inccubus, I was reading this topic now for the first time and they said it like 3 or 4 times already lol
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 08:01:52 AM »
Not to go off subject and I'm sorry if it's been talked about before but this could have been in a great origins story in the CV universe.
Have you played LOS? The only thing it's missing is the historical figure of Vlad.

I wish they'd made him a bit more of a tyrant, but in all honesty the people worshipped him as a national hero in Transylvania. Just playing on the Mythos of being ruthless a little bit more would have done well.
The whole thing about the legend of the vampire, although I like the idea it doesn't really explain where this came from. As far as I'm aware, there is no one magic bullet myth of the vampire. The vampire scenes were done well.

It was decent, I'd watch it again, and I'd watch its sequel... LOS 2 :P
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 11:20:08 AM »
Have you played LOS? The only thing it's missing is the historical figure of Vlad.

I've only seen walkthroughs online. I see what you're saying but I thought the way they're portrayed are different to me. It's probably because in LoS they're making Belmont be Dracula and to me Belmont is the honorable lawful good hero. To each their own but I felt the ending of LoI was closer to that video but even still I thought the video had more feeling.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 03:06:04 PM »
After reading the reviews you guys wrote I think I'll grab it when it hits Redbox.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
So to put it simple, its good but not a "must watch in theaters"?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »
That is what I understood from the comments, so I'll be waiting when it gets shown on cable tv.

Tags:

anything