Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Babby's first Blu-Ray  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:04:47 PM »
So I finally decided to join the video format cool kids club and got this thing:

(you can tell it's my Blu-Ray because you can see my Lisbeth, Rufina, and Tsugumi figures hanging out in the background)

And, yeah, it's pretty anticlimactic.  Most people probably buy Avatar or Prometheus or whatever HD THREE DEEZ thing is hip these days for their first Blu-Ray, but not me.  This is what convinced me to make the generation leap.  It was either that or .hack Quantum.

Now I can use my PS3 for something other than complaining about how bad all of its games are.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »
Yeah, now you can complain about how bad the movies are too. :D
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Lone Wolf

Re: Babby's first Blu-Ray
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »
Yeah, now you can complain about how bad the movies are too. :D

lol lel :P

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:18:23 AM »
Heard some talk about this release. Probably not my cup o' tea (guy who got excited for it is all into kaiju flicks, to which I say "eh") but I'll watch some trailers.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 04:21:01 AM »
I want those kaiju movies with a lot of them fighting each other. But I will always have a special place for Mothra.

Super Waffle might like this too: http://www.amazon.com/Daimajin-Revoltech-Poseable-Action-Figure/dp/B0035JJJEG

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:10:43 AM »
So Super Saiya-jin Waffle-chan finally decided in 2013 that VHS & HD-DVD is obsolete in his habitat? bahahahahaha

I hardly watch blu-ray movies anymore, most of my movie-watching is done online nowadays. I still have not seen Avatar in any format, or any 3D releases. I miiight purchase a fanct 3D TV if and when they become more affordable but I'm happy with my 42" that's what she said ^v^

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:23:24 AM »
Never heard of this guy from the cover, its suposed to be lika a "Menacing Macho Ultraman"?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »
+1
Never heard of this guy from the cover, its suposed to be lika a "Menacing Macho Ultraman"?

It's a series about a giant monster (kaiju)
Daimajin: Triple Feature Blu-Ray DVD (Trailer)
Think Godzilla but darker and in feudal Japan.

Personally this is the kaiju film I wanna see though.
The Big Picture: Monster's Movie

Eh you're not the last one to go to blu-ray Super Waffle, I've been waffling on whether or not to get one for a few years now. Always expecting a significant drop in the PS3 price as the new console generation approaches with glacial pace. (And just as significantly for Sly Cooper 4, which has come out so late I might as well wait a little longer for the next generation to actually get here before buying a PS3.) I think I probably will get a player soon since I've been meaning to get my own copies of the original Planet of the Apes series for around a decade now and the blu-ray set sells for about the same as the DVDs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:06:38 AM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »
Well, I dont even have seen a blu-ray for real, only in images, so you really will not be the last Ratty lol
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
And then there's me, who bought an external Blu-ray burner to watch Region B movies, and just splurged on a bunch of cult UK releases, among them Berberian Sound Studio which looks awesome.

This UPC is from a Gorgo comic collection and it's awesome:

Courtesy of Wtf-Film's Facebook, who's been on a kaiju kick for months, collecting and posting images of his toys and movie fiends (LaserDiscs included). For example:

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
This UPC is from a Gorgo comic collection and it's awesome

That is pretty nice, I'd like to get my hands on some of those Gorgo comics as they've always looked neat. I liked the movie as a kid but watching it now it hasn't aged as well as Toho's work. The painfully long scenes of the stupid human plot separating you from your cool monster rampage aren't any easier to sit through in English. The dialog is just as bad only with Gorgo everything in those scenes is dull looking and murky to. Still is a sweet creature design though.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
I just nabbed a Gamera triple feature Blu-ray in the Walmart dump bin, $7.88. The first in the series is one I saw as a kid; my brother bought the tape and said, "Here's a Japanese monster I used to love watching on TV—it's a new movie with really cool special effects, I heard," and that sheet blew my mind because movies were already inundated with CGI by that point and it was cool seeing these old school effects.

So who knows? With this purchase I may be on my way to being a kaiju maniac. It's just too bad that one of the Godzilla movies put on Blu-ray by Media Blasters has all sorts of problems. I can't remember what they are, but I think the initial batch had a gamut of extras including a commentary track, but Toho bitched about something or other and those copies quickly had to be recalled in exchange for a barebones edition. Something like that, anyway.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »
Cool, I've never seem the old Godzilla movies (I've only seem some new ones when kid) nor Gamera, but I know that they are enemies.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »
Cool, I've never seem the old Godzilla movies (I've only seem some new ones when kid) nor Gamera, but I know that they are enemies.

Yeah they're rivals in popularity anyway, from different companies. I've never been a big Gamera fan myself, maybe if I watched more of the films but I doubt it. Godzilla though, I've been a fan for a loooong time. I had Son of Godzilla on VHS and watched it a lot when I was all of 4 or 5. Had about 5 or 6 of the others on tape at various times in my childhood, and have made a bit of an effort in more recent years to see the ones I missed. 

I must admit though, the Kaiju genre (particularly films from the 60s and 70s) is often a lot more boring than many people who've never watched the movies probably imagine. Suite-work was difficult and expensive, so in a 2 hour monster movie you might get 15 - 30 minutes of monster battle/rampage. The remainder being taken up by characters you don't care about doing things you're probably not really interested in.

There are exceptions of course. The original Gojira and Godzilla: King of the Monsters were good character dramas for 1950s monster movies. And I would always recommend 1991's Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah as one of the best in the series (possible Anti-American sentiments aside) where the human plot ties in with Godzilla really well. I'm a bit of a King Ghidorah fanboy but it really is a fun, engaging movie. But when the aforementioned dullness of uninteresting characters taking up too much time gets bad in this genre, it can get really bad.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:05:53 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 08:45:52 PM »
Oh, there are definitely some (a lot) boring movies in the genre. I've seen my fair share growing up, mostly Godzilla movies. Great material for MST3K though.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything