Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anime & Manga Discussion Thread  (Read 24281 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 10:15:44 AM »
Back when I was a kid I had no idea what anime was nor why it was called that. I only knew it was just another animated show on TV that I would sit down and watch during Saturday mornings. Astroboy was one of them. Even on repeats I was still tuned to it. Now I have the entire 80's Astroboy box set as well as the original 60's box set 1 of 2. Don't know where I'm going to find 2 though...

Another anime I watched that's even more obscure was Kagaku Kyūjo Tai Tekunoboijā?, Scientific Rescue Team TechnoVoyager. Or as we knew it here; Thunderbirds 2086. Sadly there was only one season's worth of episodes, 24 to be exact but only 18 were ever shown.

From that point-on I wouldn't know what anime was until I came across it in the early 90's. Sailor Moon was that re-introduction for me. Not only into anime once more, but also into drawing anime because of it. I have found over the years that the anime style has started to become a little generic and/or very sharp-looking. I'm a fan of the more classic anime where look and forms of characters have more round lines then hard angular edges. Some other classic anime that I've also sat down and watched are The Dirty Pair and just recently You're Under Arrest! I also own the entire Project A-ko series as those are funny as hell to watch, and they are a comedy spoof on all that was popular back in the day. Guyver was another series that I viewed and I find that it's a shame they never completed the whole series. I own the new series which is actually more in line with the original manga then the other was, but is still largely unfinished. The anime 86' movie Guyver: Out of Control is also an interesting unique take on the Guyver story, although I think the artists and writers had a little too much time on their hands when they did up Valkyria's bonding with the damaged Guyver unit 2 (Then scene looks like it belongs in a hentai tentacle rape fest even though you see she's enjoying it and everyone around her has front row seats :P).
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:21 AM »
You should watch Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko (The "Hentai" Prince and the Stony Cat) its very good and you will laugh a lot. No, its not focused in ecchi and doesnt is a hentai, the hentai in the title is hentai as in pervert. Here is the OP (I choose shows by their OP if I never watched them):

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko OP 1 "Fantastic Future" on Vimeo

They silenced all OPs from this anime on youtube, so I posted a video from vimeo.

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
Thats why ecchi doesnt attract me, its all or nothing for me.
On the contrary, for me, it's better ecchi than H because to insinuate is sometimes better than showing. Maybe it's something only girls understand, but I see it that way. Of course I also enjoy H, but ecchi has an unique charm to it, and besides the arguments are way more fun in ecchi anime series.
I literally laughed out loud while watching ecchi many times (Sora No Otoshimono, Mayoi Neko, High School DxD), but with H, it's just to see the goodies  :P Rarely do I get a laugh nor I get interested in the story in H anime.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 12:23:12 PM »
It seems that you dont understood what I meant. Im not against ecchi and I even watch them if they are interesting, Im saying that I dislike anime that are mostly focused on ecchi and shows these scenes without a reason. I liked Highscool of the Dead for example, but some series (most of the ecchi series from these last years, not all) focuses only in ecchi. If I wants to see that type of thing without context, I go watch H. They use ecchi in various series only to get more attention from teenagers, instead of doing a good story and then it becomes a worsened H.

TL;DR: I can enjoy some ecchi, but Im not stupid like the majority of teenagers/mans these days that watches everything that have tits or asses showing regardless of the content. If its boring, you can add all tits from the world in it and it will still boring to me, vulgar (yay) but boring. So they shouldnt try to focus in ecchi only.

On the contrary, for me, it's better ecchi than H because to insinuate is sometimes better than showing. Maybe it's something only girls understand, but I see it that way.

You need to watch Yosuga no Sora.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »
You are talking with the number one ecchi fangirl, boy... I already watched that one!  :P

Among my favourite animes there are many recent or relatively recent ecchi series, like Rosario To Vampire, Sora No Otoshimono, High School DxD, High School DxD New, Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka, Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka Of The Dead, Mayoi Neko Overrun, Renkyuun San Magical Pokaan, Cyber Team in Akihabara.
I'm sure I'm forgetting about various series right now.

My top favourite remains Elfen Lied, I don't know if that can be counted as ecchi, though.
There's plenty of nudity, but the main focus is different.

I guess you are referring to that kind of anime with no argument and just ecchi stuff, and I understand what you say. I've come across many examples.
I guess the worst anime I've seen is one of those examples: He is my master.
Nothing makes sense.
A pity, since one of the girls was really cute and there was potential for a fun storyline.

About Yosuga No Sora...
Maybe I'm the only one who received it this way, but I found it annoying that there were so many fill girls and so little focus on Sora. I was mainly bored in all those episodes featuring random fill girls.
Luckily, in the end it paid to stick and keep watching.

And there's one particular scene I will always remember about this series, I guess you know which one I'm talking about  ;)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 01:39:48 PM »
I never watched the Highschool of the Dead anime, but I read some of the manga a few years back. It was kinda like a train-wreck, couldn't look away. I assume the artist saw "The Walking Dead" and decided to try it with high school anime cliches and fanservice... lots, and lots of fanservice. I felt like I needed a shower after every chapter. Even dirtier than straight H. Speaking of which, just a reminder for us all to try not to get too graphic with H descriptions and don't link to it. And try to make all your anime video links either official uploads or intros/short clips for illustration ok?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:47:06 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 01:40:23 PM »
Since X did a personal history of anime, I'll do my own.

First anime I think I ever watched was Superbook. Didn't know it was Japanese at the time, but I knew it was different from every other cartoon I watched because the art and animation was so much different, and I loved it.

Then Ronin Warriors and Samurai Pizza Cats came along, and I either determined on my own that they were Japanese or my older brother told me, but upon seeing the first episode of Ronin Warriors, all I could think was, "It's by the people who did Superbook!" :p

Sailor Moon arrived shortly after, and around that time my brother started buying anime on VHS because he'd grown up on Robotech and saw Vampire Hunter D on the Sci-Fi Channel long ago, so I got further exposure from him, including my favorite anime ever, the Macross Plus OVA. The original Dragon Ball aired around this time (at like 5 in the morning or something absurd), and DBZ came a year later, and by that point I was pretty much an anime freak of sorts—though far from being anything even resembling a weeaboo or otaku (or so I'd like to think; I certainly don't draw anime style or cosplay or think anime is THE BEST THING EVER! and I don't flip out about them being called cartoons because they are cartoons).

I never got into any of the stuff showing on Cartoon Network 'cos I didn't have cable at the time, and I kind of lost interest in cartoons and stuff around that time anyway. (Being a teen was all about listening to angsty music.) Although my brother did buy Cowboy Bebop and it blew my mind away, and he'd continue to show me stuff he'd buy like Record of Lodoss War and its TV series Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. Then of course Princess Mononoke was shown in the theater and it rocked my world, changed my life, etc.

So yeah, these days I have a pretty large collection of anime. I'm still not a weeaboo (despite having three anime wall scrolls in my room); call me one and I'll pop you in the mouth.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »
@Pfil: I like Cyber Team in Akihabara too, you watched it in Locomotion right? Along with Those Who Hunt Elves, Saber Marionette J (J to X, J Again, etc) and South Park? lol

About Yosuga No Sora...
Maybe I'm the only one who received it this way, but I found it annoying that there were so many fill girls and so little focus on Sora. I was mainly bored in all those episodes featuring random fill girls.
Luckily, in the end it paid to stick and keep watching.

And there's one particular scene I will always remember about this series, I guess you know which one I'm talking about  ;)

They dont are random fill girls, its based in a Visual Novel so they are alternative routes, but the world "fill girls" suits them because of the nature of this anime :P

You're talking about the part where the siblings are "having some fun" and then some "visitors" open the door right? Or you are talking about the drowning scene?

Even dirtier than straight H. Speaking of which, just a reminder for us all to try not to get too graphic with H descriptions and don't link to it. And try to make all your anime video links either official uploads or intros/short clips for illustration ok?

Dirtier than H? I dont think so. Yeah, entire episodes from unofficial uploads counts as piracy too, sadly, but I dont see how some OPs/EDs or short clips can do any real harm so its better to do as you say (even if I think that unofficial uploads helps to promote the source material, its against the rules here).

So yeah, these days I have a pretty large collection of anime. I'm still not a weeaboo (despite having three anime wall scrolls in my room); call me one and I'll pop you in the mouth.

You forgot to add Kaiju in the weaboo meter :rollseyes: j/k

My first anime were Fly (Dragon Quest), Dragon Ball, Street Fighter II - Victory, Pole Position (its from japan? whatever, its from a game company anyway lol) and Magical Knights of Rayearth on channel 4 (SBT). Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors (called Samurai Warriors here) and then sometime after they started airing Shurato on channel 7 I think (Manchete), they aired some tokusatsus in this channel too like Jiraiya, Kamen Rider Black (I dont remember watching this but my father says I've at the time, So maybe I had 3 years), Kamen Rider Black RX and some others tokus that stopped airing before those. (Im feeling like I forgot some animes from the list at this time)

Years after they started airing Monster Farm (Monster Rancher) and Digimon on one channel and Pokémon in another one. Then we acquired a cable TV and got Cartoon Network (because some months before my dad began recording Dragon Ball Z in some VHS tapes in his job, he worked and still works in TV companies, so he obtained a cable TV to be easier to record at home xD) with Card Captors Sakura (Sakura Card Captors here), Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball Z, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon R (they aired it until Stars, so I saw almost everything, except that we had cancelled or cable TV some times, so I dont watched like 50 episodes T.T), Corrector Yui and a lot of others.

I would make a giga post if I continued this story about my life with animes (all of this happened until I was 10 years old only lol), its like if animes followed me until my 16 years more or less, then Brazilian TV channels stopped investing in anime like they did before and I started watching it in pirate DVDs that my dad buys (these homemade with a simple menu and 10 to 15 episodes each, IDK if its common in another countries) and after, started downloading them from internet to watch on DVD (my dad started doing DVDs like these, so we could watch it on a TV).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
I never watched the Highschool of the Dead anime, but I read some of the manga a few years back. It was kinda like a train-wreck, couldn't look away. I assume the artist saw "The Walking Dead" and decided to try it with high school anime cliches and fanservice... lots, and lots of fanservice. I felt like I needed a shower after every chapter. Even dirtier than straight H. Speaking of which, just a reminder for us all to try not to get too graphic with H descriptions and don't link to it. And try to make all your anime video links either official uploads or intros/short clips for illustration ok?

no links huh? Oh wait what is this  :P ?

The tower of druaga: The best scene EVER!

yes tower of druaga went there  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
Link are okay, but its not a good idea to post a entire episode/movie/manga (I think its okay to send them by PM, so if you want to show/share something like a episode or manga chapter, warn it here and the interested people can PM you, someone correct me if Im wrong).

LOL at tentacles. I've never played any game from the Druaga series, but I know a brief of this story because of this:
OLD Let's Play Namco x Capcom 7 The Golden Knight, Gilgamesh!
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
@Pfil: I like Cyber Team in Akihabara too, you watched it in Locomotion right? Along with Those Who Hunt Elves, Saber Marionette J (J to X, J Again, etc) and South Park? lol
From those anime series the only one I didn't watch is Those Who Hunt Elves. I like South Park too, but I have to be in South Park mode, like with The Simpsons. From both series I like older stuff, not so much about new episodes with South Park, and The Simpsons have been terrible for some years.
Not quite with Futurama, which only inferior season was the last one, but it was good anyway, and especially with Family Guy, which seems to never decay despite so many years airing.
But my favourite thing is anime, that I have no doubt.

They dont are random fill girls, its based in a Visual Novel so they are alternative routes, but the world "fill girls" suits them because of the nature of this anime :P
That's why I said that I must be the only one who received Yosuga No Sora in that way. But I just wanted to have insight of the love story between the boy and his sister, I didn't care (AT ALL) about the rest.
I liked Sora too much.

Kind of the same happened with "My little sister can't be this cute" (I don't remember the japanese name). Too much focus on random girls with gigantic breasts and too little focus on the little sister who gives name to the anime.
Sometimes anime derail too much from the original idea and I lose interest, so I find myself in auto-pilot watching episodes to see if something interesting happens again.

You're talking about the part where the siblings are "having some fun" and then some "visitors" open the door right? Or you are talking about the drowning scene?
The scene where the boy is sitting and his sister goes under the table to have some fun  ;)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
Oh, that part, there are so much great scenes that its difficult to guess. You need to be alert, they will do a worldwide simulcast of the last 3 episodes from My Little Sister Can't be This Cute (Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai) in Crunchyroll. Here a preview:

Kiririn Finale

I dont have seem the first season yet (at the time this series really grabbed my attention with photos and news, but I didnt take my time to watch) and Im downloading the second season everytime that a new episode comes out, but I dont watched anything yet, only 1 minute from the second season 1st episode xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »
Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward for when the 2nd season ends, so I can make a marathon, as so many times. Yeah, I'm so crazy with some things that sometimes I watch an entire anime from 1st to last episode without stopping  :P

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
I did it when I borrowed some Saint Seiya - Hades from a friend.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
From those anime series the only one I didn't watch is Those Who Hunt Elves.

Watch TwhE Pfil. Funny as hell. They've got only two seasons last time I checked though.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

anything