Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: My CV2 Remake DEMO  (Read 22333 times)

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »
Hey who do you think you are?

Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush then. The demo is really cool. Are you putting in the NES music, or using remixes? I know it's a demo, but I do hope you change the speed in which Simon swings the whip.

Im really looking forward to this baby. Don't stop working on it just because some people would rather reply to "Women getting fat in RPGs" threads instead.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 05:07:24 PM »
CV2's stairs looked and operated way better. The ones you did get in the way of jumps.

Use classic CV stairs. Preferably Rondo style.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »
Checked it out. Pretty cool, I like the HUD for sure. But the stairs were really weird, and the jumping and whipping combo was hard to deal with if I wanted to do a high jump and whip. Also I'm running Vista Premium Home and everytime I talked to someone and whipped it crashed, also whipping going upstairs disconnected the whip from Simon and he jerked around while gliding up on his own. Simon does walk a bit too fast too. But I understand this is a very early demo and know how it goes with early things in the game as I'm making a fangame myself. But very well put together already I can tell for it being a Game Maker game.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
In Reply To #18

man... you have some odd issues. None of that happens in mine. Im runnin windows 7. Try settin the compatibility mode. No idea why yours would be freakin out and actin weird. Mine works aok and runs at almost constant 60fps the lowest it dips is 57.

As for the stairs... they work like SoTN or any other new CV game. Dont try to play it and use the stairs like in CV2 NES its not like that. No you cant just thru em just like in SoTN and no you dont stick to em... again just like in SoTN. This game only LOOKS like CV2 the engine is more like SoTN or the DS games. Dont forget that when you play it. You cant go in like its an NES style CV cause its not... at all.

As for music... prolly original havent decided yet tho
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:40:01 PM by Aridale »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »
This game only LOOKS like CV2

You better redesign all the maps then, because that doesn't work with the original maps at all.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »
In Reply To #20

Ill change em just like I did jova. With the jumpthru blocks so you can get on em etc. It works perfectly fine once you realize it doesnt work like CV2s stairs. I might have to move the collisions in a bit so it looks like your more on the step tiles that way its not as floaty tho.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
It doesn't work very fine when its knocking me into water.

Sorry if you find this offensive, but it sounds like you're taking the lazy way out. Either figure out how to code in proper stairs (I'm assuming you didn't because you haven't figured it out yet) or redesign the stages to actually fit with the fact that you cant move through them. As it is, it really doesn't work. It is just incredibly bad design.

Though I suppose there is a reason most fan games are mediocre.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:19 PM »
In Reply To #22

Am I gonna have to make you a video to show you that the stairs work perfectly fine? just because you cant grasp how to do it doesnt mean its my fault or I dont know what Im doin or Im lazy. They wont knock you in the water if you dont expect to jump thru em. I dunno what you cant understand about they work EXACTLY like SoTN and theres plenty of room all around em... /shrug

EDIT: Ok I couldnt make a vid because the capture slowed the game way down and the playback vid was laggy and generally ass so I did even better... I made a demo proving what Im talkin about.

This is the same exact engine from the demo (its actually my current build) but its just a small special demo room. Its a classic room from the library in SoTN. Its completely unaltered its not even tiles laid its an exact screenshot of the area used as a background. You control an unchanged Simon from the demo in this room and you can see it navigates just like it does in Sotn...

Press F5 and that pic from SoTN is turned off and youve got the Jova tileset matchin the layout of the room as best as an 8bit tile set can match a psx tileset. It doesnt look great and I didnt put a whole lotta effort into makin it look good but thats not the point. The point is the only thing thats changed is the VISUAL appearance of the room. None of the objects that you touch to move around in it have changed. You can navigate it the same as you could with the image turned on. F5 toggles it on and off.

If anyone cant understand how the damn stairs work in the normal demo now I cant help you and I doubt anyone else can either

http://www.mediafire.com/?dtmmmg2terd
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:50:53 PM by Aridale »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 01:16:56 PM »
I understand how they work. What I'm saying is they don't work very well the way you used them.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »
In Reply To #24

I still dont see how... I can play the game perfectly fine with one hand while holdin my bowl in the other and takin bites between jumps... I NEVER hit my head on the steps... You can jump 3 blocks roughly on flat ground thats 48 pixels wide the water holes are only 32wide. the only way to hit your head on the steps above ya is to try to make the jump from 3 1/2 to 4 blocks away which is impossible to make even in CV2 NES or without the stairs above ya

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 11:19:59 AM »
In Reply To #25

Because you're developing the game. I'm developing Bloodletting and over a year ago when I released the original beta demo tons of people had numerous issues that I never got because I was flawlessly playing the game, knew how to trigger the stairs perfectly, how to backflip, etc. That's part of being the developer so outside input is extremely important, ESPECIALLY cross platform testing.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »
In Reply To #26

Hes the only one thats mentioned it tho. No one else thats played it has said anythin about bad controls or stair interact. Even my friends in RL that have played it and believe me if they thought it sucked theyd tell me

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »
There are a few main differences between the others and myself.

1) They do not expect quality. Most people are amazed at any sort of fan game, regardless of quality. "Thats so cool!" they say. Partly, and there's nothing wrong with this, because they themselves cannot make something like that.

2) I do not care if I sound mean, or hurt your feelings. I know, it sounds harsh, but its true. This is a blessing in disguise though, because I will give honest critique without sugar coating it. Well, good if you actually want to do quality work.

3) I practice what I preach. I hold myself to the same quality standards, if not even more strictly. I don't settle for mediocre.

I'd actually like to see a successful project along these lines, but as is, it doesn't seem headed in the right direction.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »
In Reply To #25

Yo!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »
In Reply To #28

So... based on a 1 room demo that took me 3 days to make in my spare time you dont think this is headed in the right direction? Boy Im glad you arent a professional reviewer if you judged every game you played based on the first room you start in before you even had access to anything else Id hate to know what youd review things.

I do appreciate the honesty tho I dont sugar coat stuff mself and I think your wrong. Ive made upwards of 40 oblivion mods that Ive released I have no idea if how many Ive made that I havent released. Im a good judge of my own work and if I dont think somethin is good enough to release I wont. This is no exception. Its been DLed almost 30 times and besides Jorge your the only one thats had a complaint so far. Atleast Jorge explains why he feels the way he feels not just says it sux and its gonna suck etc etc.

In Reply to #29

I cant reproduce the whip error you mention... its possible its already been fixed in my current version. Im workin on the inventory system now and thats a lot of interaction with the message boxes so its possible in my changes Ive already fixed it and didnt know it.

Again with the stairs... atleast your a lil more indepth. So... move the stairs farther from the water and make solid blocks before the jump thrus? Or is a purely visual thing based on where the stairs are with the water? Im always open to suggestions that dont include the original CV2 stair method. Im not makin those I refuse.

Ive already tweaked the night darkness. It hit me just how dark it was after I finished Jova Woods. Its still dark but the backgrounds are blended as much so it while the actual darkess lvl is the same theres more visible still. I dunno bout the torches Im still not entirely convinced I like the effect at all. Puttin a light around Simon is out... I dont think thatd look good at all. The overly dark darkness is more a result of too much brightness around the screen vs how dark it actually is. A big bright patch followin Simon around would only make things outside that patch even harder to see.

The jumpin is variable yes. Thats intentional and I wont change it. I want you to be able to have complete control over the jumps and movement in air. Remember it only LOOKS like an NES game that doesnt mean its spose to control like one.

The "hill" tiles you mention arent flat on the bottom they look like this

\

where you hit your head is where you connect based on the height you jump. If your hittin your head on the bottom its cause thats cause you were directly under the bottom.

So far the 2 mentions of this hittin your head problem is tellin me 2 things 1) ppl dont realize you cant jump thru the stairs 2) maybe the stairs are too close to the water. Maybe its never effected me cause Im more of an "edge" jumper vs a "middle of the block" jumper. I dunno

Heres some new shots. 3 from Jova Woods 1 from Jova. The first two show the same area one around noon the other around 9pm the 3rd is the bridge around 9pm and the 4th is Jova about the same time. These are the new night time settings. Any improvement? Try to view em fullscreen with no bright colors around em. That why you can see what they look like ingame with fullscreen on.

Also: Does the "idle" sprite suck? Its the gate sprite from CV1 I edited. I think it looks kinda meh but its not too awful.

EDIT: Heres a pic of the inventory currently... while Im at it.

Dont mind the 2 reddish squares theyre for alignment. The 50 at the bottom is a debug var. As you can see by the location of the items in the pic this inventory works in the order you get things not the order the game displays em in. It also takes position in the room into account and tries its best to keep itself completely onscreen. You have to really want to get it to clip off the screen for it to happen
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:56:30 PM by Aridale »

Tags: