Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Games that you dismissed at first but soon grew to like.  (Read 21358 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: Castlevania Games that you dismissed at first but soon grew to like.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »
I dismissed Legends due to all the negativity that seems to surround the game, but the more I played it the more I liked it. Is it as good as Belmont's Revenge? No, but it has it's own unique charm and is still a really great game imo. The only thing that holds it back is the graphical limitations, which I lay at the feet of Konami deciding to stuff pointless Super Gameboy features on.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
+1
LoS

Yeah, I'd say this.

I think I'd say OoE too. When it was leaked at first my reaction was "Oh another DS one, that's cool I guess," and the monastery level kind of put me off at first. But I grew to like the challenge and how magic stuff was done.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:23:23 PM by Munchy »

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 06:05:10 PM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Judgment, Order of Shadows and Harmony of Despair.
Could it be that those games didn't grow on anyone?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »
In my case I never dismissed them, they are good, even OoS if we consider its for a cellphone.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 10:26:32 PM »
In my case I never dismissed them, they are good, even OoS if we consider its for a cellphone.
I particularly dismissed all 3 of them at the beginning, but they catched me eventually. First, with the soundtrack, and then with the look and stories (Judgment) and some character designs, and the gameplay and fan service (HD).
I can't say the same about OoS, though. I'm still waiting for it to be remade for a proper platform, phones from that time were terrible at playing games that featured a little complexity (not so much for Tetris and the likes).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »
Both Harmonies. Dissonance for all the reasons said thus far (music, graphics, etc), Despair for not being a Dissonance sequel.

...I keed. Despair for being a gimmicky mashup of the last ten years of Vania. I still think it is, but I've mellowed out a bit now that I've actually gotten to play it for myself.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 12:50:06 AM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Judgment, Order of Shadows and Harmony of Despair.

When I played Harmony of Despair, I hated it even more.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »
Both Harmonies. Dissonance for all the reasons said thus far (music, graphics, etc), Despair for not being a Dissonance sequel.

...I keed. Despair for being a gimmicky mashup of the last ten years of Vania. I still think it is, but I've mellowed out a bit now that I've actually gotten to play it for myself.
On PC HoD graphics look awful, but they look really great on a GBA/NDS (the first NDS is a the best option).
CV:HD, yeah, it's what you said, it's not even a good game, but for some reason I've played it for several hours and it was fun to do. I just can't dislike a CV game if the look and music fits right.

When I played Harmony of Despair, I hated it even more.
Hahaha! I'm aware of its lack of popularity. I kind of enjoy it, but it's not on my CV top list, either.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »
+1
But those 3 are irredeemable  :-X Add Haunted Castle too.

Everything comes full circle

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
I honestly can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed CVHD since I got it. I never expected it to make sense simply because it would be hard for a book (Grimoire) to tie centuries of vampire hunters together. I love being able to haul ass and play CV with friends even with the 30 minute time constraints. I don't believe it should be discredited because it didn't follow tradition. I say it's a win for them because whenever I get online it takes no time for 6 people from all over to shred the gnar  8)
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
I honestly can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed CVHD since I got it. I never expected it to make sense simply because it would be hard for a book (Grimoire) to tie centuries of vampire hunters together. I love being able to haul ass and play CV with friends even with the 30 minute time constraints. I don't believe it should be discredited because it didn't follow tradition. I say it's a win for them because whenever I get online it takes no time for 6 people from all over to shred the gnar  8)

Yep I have no problem helping either.

As for not liking a cv at first I really cannot say for me it's more so disliking over time

(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »
I didn't like Harmony of Dissonance when it first came out, something about it was off (it was most likely the music, I dunno) but I went back to it a few years ago and completed it and I ended up liking it. Not as much as CotM and AoS but it was ok.

The music quality still sucks though. (Thank Jorge that he remastered some of the better tracks of the game.)

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »
+2
LoS

I totally forgot about this. Should've added it.

But then I realized that deep-down, as much as I came to enjoy LOS from a gameplay perspective... part of me feels (or is that knows?) it's not truly a Castlevania game.  :-\

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »
But those 3 are irredeemable  :-X Add Haunted Castle too.
None of that 4 games are on the top of my CV list, to be honest. They are near the bottom, because the other games in the franchise are so, so excellent!
But personally, I find the looks, some character designs, some funny bits about boobs and especially the soundtrack the redeeming qualities of Judgment.
And I find the soundtrack and the possibility of playing again as some favourite characters the redeeming qualities of Harmony of Despair.
I voted for Haunted Castle as my least favourite CV traditional game in the poll, but it's pretty awesome for what it is: an arcade game from 1.987 (probably the best looking arcade game and one of the best arcade soundtracks), and an incredibly challenging Castlevania game (not unbeatable today, with the existance of Version K, which is easier, the fact that multicredits gives you more energy, and, if all that doesn't help, you can always save states).
I didn't find a redeeming quality, however, about Order of Shadows, with the exception of the final stage music, which I don't know if it's original or if it's a classical composition they just used, because it's so different from the rest of the game.
I still am waiting for it to be remade, though, since something good might come out from the general idea, with improved looks and music.

not truly a Castlevania game.  :-\
Hail to that  :)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »
+2
it's not truly a Castlevania game.  :-\

Hail to that  :)

Anyway, agreed. But if we continue this conversation we will enter in the same giant conversation again doesnt you think?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: