Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Horrorthon  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: September 28, 2010, 12:02:23 AM »
It's almost October. That makes watching horror movies a must—one or more a day/night if manageable. Well, it's technically September 28th in the very early morning, but I think I'll start my horror marathon early.

I guess I'll use this thread to post about the awesome movies I see.

My picks for tonight are At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul and The Beyond. I'll start with the former (and eventually get to seeing the excellent sequels, This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse and Embodiment of Evil) and afterward see if I'm up for the latter or if I'll be too tired, ha.

Watch horror movies. Post about them. Post trailers.

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul Trailer

The Beyond US trailer
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:06:19 PM »
No one gonna join in the fun?

I was really busy and tired last night, so I didn't get to watch any flicks, and I still haven't gotten around to The Beyond, but I'll likely do that tonight

...after I watch Suspiria.

Suspiria US Trailer

One of my absolute favorites; it impresses me even more each time I see it. And it has an atmosphere to it that's rivaled only by John Carpenter's The Thing, Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead, and Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

I also watched its sort-of sequel a few days ago, so I guess my Horrorthon kind of began with that. That movie's called Inferno. It's not exactly a sequel, yet it is; it, Suspiria, and The Mother of Tears are three Dario Argento films that concern the Three Mothers, so it is a trilogy of sorts. Inferno is almost as good as Suspiria. I love it so much. Both films are in ways homages to Mario Bava's gothic horror films, in style, atmosphere, and use of colors.

Inferno trailer, film by Dario Argento

It's just too bad Argento hadn't made the third film before he kind of lost his touch. I mean, I enjoyed The Mother of Tears, but it's nothing like the first two, thematically, aesthetically, creatively, and so on. If he had made it sometime in the '80s, I would be well-pleased.

Some have said that Dark Waters (a.k.a. Dead Waters) was kind of like the unofficial third film in the series, in that it has similar atmosphere and craft, but I didn't really get that kinda vibe when I watched it myself. Perhaps I oughta give it another whirl this month...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:14:53 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:09:02 PM »
Suspiria has the best horror movie soundtrack I heard. I love the prog-ness of it.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »
Yeah, that's definitely Goblin's (and Claudio Simonetti's) greatest work, of what I've heard, and it adds so much to the greatness of this film. Strangely, they didn't do the score for Inferno, but it was done by Keith Emerson, who was an influence on Goblin and Simonetti, so it works wonderfully. Simonetti also did tunes for Argento's Opera (my second favorite of his after Suspiria), which are really cool and proggy in a very '80s sort of way. (Well, of course, Goblin did s'more Argento stuff as well, like the Deep Red soundtrack, which is really cool.)

OPERA Soundtrack 05 Confusion

OPERA Soundtrack 02 Crows

Reminds me of the Akumajo Dracula X68000 arranged tracks at the end of the Bloodlines soundtrack.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »
One of my absolute favorites; it impresses me even more each time I see it.

I'll have to give that one another try one of these days. I remember watching it and not living up to my expectations, but it was a great-looking movie nonetheless...really rich in color.

Any recommendations for movies with kind of a psychological horror to them? I've always found the stuff that messes with your head to be the most enjoyable, as far as horror goes. My favorite horror movie is probably The Shining, but then again, I've never really dug deep within the genre. I think most of what I've seen have been 80s slasher flicks.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 09:21:45 PM »
Truth be told, I wasn't wild over Suspiria when I first saw it. I think it was the pacing and some of the strange acting that kind of killed it for me the first time. I then started watching more Argento flicks and other Italian cult cinema, got used to the Italians' pacing, rewatched Suspiria, and absolutely fell in love (and wondered what the hell was wrong with me the first time seeing it).

Psychological horror flicks? Hmm... I know I've seen plenty, but I'm having a tough time thinking of some. The original Texas Chain Saw Massacre is psychological in ways; you don't really see most of the violence so the more grisly bits are left to your imagination. It's psychological in that way, but probably not in the way you're looking for.

The Thing (the 1980s John Carpenter version) is pretty psychological in that it messes with your perceptions of personal safety and who to trust. It's also the finest horror film ever made, in my opinion.

Man... I'm drawing blanks! I hate this. I'll get back to you if/when I think of some others.

Anyone seen House (a.k.a. Hausu)?

House (Hausu) Trailer - Subtitled (Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977)

That's a really fantastic one, and I'm so excited Criterion Collection are releasing it on Blu-ray (and DVD) at the end of October, just in time for Halloween. This is DEFINITELY a party flick, the kind of thing all sorts of people can gather and enjoy on Halloween night whether they like horror movies or not, and have tons of commotion go on without it bothering me, but rather the opposite: it makes things more enjoyable. Normally, I hate it when people talk or shuffle around when I'm watching flicks, so I've kind of stopped asking people over for movies, especially big groups.

Another fun one to watch on H'ween and with a group of friends is Trick 'r Treat, so you can be sure I'll be watching both this and House with some friends that night. Already did that with Trick 'r Treat last year, and everyone who was there is amped to see it again this year.

'Trick 'r Treat' Trailer HD

This trailer, however, reminds me why I hate most modern-day Hollywood horror movies and the trailers that advertise them, ha.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:32:52 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:26:49 AM »
I'm gonna be watching "Let Me In" on Friday.
I didn't get to see "Devil" but heard it sucked.  Might download it sometime, bwahahaha. ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:23:04 AM »
trick or treat is really good. Its one of the best horror movies Ive seen in years. There werewolf scene alone makes it totally worth it

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 01:39:31 AM »
Trick 'r Treat is one of those rare and few horror films that really embodies the spirit of American commercialized Halloween. I absolutely love it; it's an anthology film but one that brings all the parts together so well.

Haven't seen Let the Right One In. Been meaning to. Not a fan of Hollywood remakes of recent foreign films, so I'll likely pass on Let Me In.

Devil looked like such a steaming pile. Not going near that.

A few weeks ago I enjoyed the hell out of Piranha 3D, however. It's such a dumb, shitty movie, and it knows it so well. Tons of boobs and blood—all a red-blooded horror fan really needs. The flick even features literal ass eating. I laughed myself silly.

Think tonight I'll watch the second Coffin Joe movie, This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse. It has a really fantastic and bizarre hell scene, where the movie goes COLOR for the duration.

On second thought, I'm a little tired, lol. It becomes a chore watching films when my mind's like this. Think I may just brush ma teefs and go to sleeps insteadz, and resume my Horrorthon tomorrow.

Shitty haunted hayrides are a blast, by the way. Just wish when I had gone today there were more screaming girlies. They make the experience.

Lastly, the third (or fourth?) annual Cinemassacre's Monster Madness has begun. I've loved all previous installments of this series. Looks like this year, James intends to focus on more campy, sometimes crappy movies.

http://cinemassacre.com/
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »

Haven't seen Let the Right One In. Been meaning to. Not a fan of Hollywood remakes of recent foreign films, so I'll likely pass on Let Me In.

Let Me In was pretty awful compared to the original, you definitely wont miss anything if you skip it.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 11:51:52 PM »
Watched From Dusk Till Dawn and There's Nothing Out There tonight—both class-ass films of the highest order.

From Dusk Till Dawn Trailer HD

Love how this one isn't even a horror flick until halfway through. Just totally hits you with it, out of the blue. First saw this on TV as a kid, not knowing what it was all about, and when it got to the crazy happenings in the bar, I thought, "What the hell????" Loved it, and surprisingly it still had an immense impact even when censored for syndication—or it did on the impressionable mind of an 11-year-old.

There's Nothing Out There - trailer

So fun. Love this one. LOVE it!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:02:35 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 06:46:46 AM »
I absolutely love John Carpenter's "The Thing." 8)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:23 AM »
Sweet. I'm gathering a collection of old b&w Universal movies for my Halloween party this year.
It'll give me an excuse to watch them again. ^_^
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »
dusk till dawn is one of my fav movies ever

Tags:

anything