Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A DmC platforming video...  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« on: December 08, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
DmC Gameplay - Escape

It looks... Great, actually! This is the sort of stuff I wanted from LoS - QTE-less hopping from place to place and chain whip zooming.

I also got great lolz from the environment taking the time to insult Dante.

Still want to see more in-depth combat.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »
That does look better then LoS. But Dante should've retained his "classic" look just for the fans.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:21:35 AM »
That is the type of platforming 3D CVs need again, bottomless pit-looking platform LEAPING. No shimmying or mountain climbing. Hell, Dante grappling onto the pews and beams and swinging from one to another was extremely CV-ish. I might not like the look of new Dante(well, it sucks), but this type of platforming IS, IMO, what the "natural 3D evolution" of the 2D games(in 3D) SHOULD be like.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 01:40:10 AM »
And not just the platforming. The changing enviroment. Here we are, mostly moving inside a Creature of Chaos (at least in ClassicVania), but the last time the Castle moved itself, was in..CVIII?

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 02:29:30 AM »
What remains to be seen is whether these sequences will pose an actual threat (ie, stuff actually hurting Dino or threatening to hurl him into a pit).

Shame this came into being with a series that completely doesn't need it but it's pretty cool looking nonetheless.

Just a tip, demon-city; if you make a bottomless pit for the hero to stumble into, printing "FALL" on the other side of it just might be a bit self-sabotaging.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:35:55 AM by Munchy »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 03:22:48 AM »
And not just the platforming. The changing enviroment. Here we are, mostly moving inside a Creature of Chaos (at least in ClassicVania), but the last time the Castle moved itself, was in..CVIII?
I always had the idea of a CV where, after certain events outside of the castle(the castle hasn't even formed yet, because those trying to summon it are doing things around the areas), when it's newly formed, and you head into it, it would be just like that. You basically enter when it's structuring itself, and the floor extends, staircases jet upward, while other floors collapse into pits. After it's finish, the castle settles, which is the state you see in most of the games. :)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 05:21:43 AM »
Awesome video!!! Something like this, would make a perfect fit on a future 3D Castlevania game!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 05:54:46 AM »
Like I said at the Capcom-Unity, the action looks great, but I still hate Dante's new look, and they should ditch the grappling hook thingy. It's too bionic commando/spider-man.
"Stuff and things."

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 06:26:17 AM »
DMC does platforming while CV emphasizes action and fails in platforming. Two series wearing each other's clothes?

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 07:10:43 AM »
Ok without going into what's already been said about the game already, I will say that the area looks really cool and I like how the world is literally against you.

And I agree at least this looks more like proper platforming than what was in LOS so at least Ninja Theory did something somewhat right(even thought platforming in DMC games ALWAYS sucked and this looks like it's not a exception.)

Hopefully LOS2 has similar platforming like this.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:13:24 AM by Kingshango »

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 08:13:57 AM »
Ok without going into what's already been said about the game already, I will say that the area looks really cool and I like how the world is literally against you.

And I agree at least this looks more like proper platforming than what was in LOS so at least Ninja Theory did something somewhat right(even thought platforming in DMC games ALWAYS sucked and this looks like it's not a exception.)

Hopefully LOS2 has similar platforming like this.

Whatever the next 3d Castlevania is it should have more platforming and more exploration , get rid of stages and just make it one big world. Also I hope there won't ever be a lords of shadow 2.

Offline kadosho

• Hunter in Training
    • D-toid -Gaming for Robots
    • Awards
Re: A DmC platforming video...
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »
As much as I love platforming, this is a very bizarre idea. Or maybe Dante is stuck in limbo, or something.
I honestly don't dig the new look either.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »
If you take away the presentation, the platforming itself is pretty banal, and the grappling hook is about as engaging as a QTE would be. Though it's a bit better at the last part where timing counts a bit more. It would actually be a lot better if the grappling hook was like Bionic Commando where you could control (albeit not so much manual control as that would deter the action-y flow of DMC). Someone somewhere else also mentioned that it would be better if that hook was integrated into the combat gameplay too. iirc it actually is though so dasfs.

Dante is simply jumping from point A to B with the player just following the instructions the game hands out to him. It's nice to watch though. I actually really like the palette and how the areas look, as in visually, not in function.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:49:43 AM by thernz »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 08:46:28 AM »
I got into a huge youtube battle yesterday with some douchbag claiming to be Hideki Kamiya about this very vid. I called it Devil May Cry 2.5 and said from a game design standpoint everything about the presentation, architecture, color pallette, etc. all scream DMC 2. Even though I did say that even though I don't like everything about the new DMC, I am still hyped to play a new DMC. You guys should check out the thread on the vid, it's hilarious. I will say the combo system with the weapons looks fantastic though. As for the grappling hook thing, I think Ninja Theory are trying to expanding on the grappling arm deal from DMC4...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:48:50 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 09:29:22 AM »
Whatever the next 3d Castlevania is it should have more platforming and more exploration , get rid of stages and just make it one big world. Also I hope there won't ever be a lords of shadow 2.

Yes any 3D Castlevania should have platforming like this and having it be open world be killer.

And Lords of Shadow 2 is pretty much happening at this point(I wouldn't be surprised if it's already in alpha stage by now), it's just a matter of when Konami gonna offically announce it.

Tags:

anything