Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is insane difficulty becoming a thing of the past?  (Read 23553 times)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Re: Is insane difficulty becoming a thing of the past?
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »
In Reply To #31

Yes, they should be fun, so if you like hard difficulty, good for you! I personally hate it, but thats just me.

I love taking on slews of enemies all trying to kill me and dodging their every move and totally decimating them. If it's too easy and they don't do anything and your just a superstrong beast it takes the fun out of it. I played Goldenaxe 2 one time with an invincibility cheat and will never do it again, it was like torture. Although I can understand games being too hard, if  you spend 10 years on level 1 then something is seriously wrong with the game. My beef with hard games that are well made and would interest me but don't ins't the difficulty it's the continue system or lack there of. I prefer unlimited continues that restart you at the beginning of the level you died at when you game over. Limiting the amount of continues just creates hours of doing the same levels over and over to get to the point you were having trouble. On really difficult games it can be a real slap in the face too.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 01:52:55 PM »
There are still tough games being made, but they're few and far between. Contra 4 is a great example. MAN that game is tough, a lot tougher than the older games were. I got it for Christmas and still haven't finished it on Normal or Hard.  :P

I agree with the guy who said that Difficult is fun, Frustrating is not. I think that depends on the game though. If you like Contra 4, then you'll find it difficult, if you're not into COntra, then you'll just find it frustrating.

Right now, I'm playing the Splatterhouse games, and they're tough, but it's a good kind of tough. It gets annoying to have to try to beat the same boss again and again but it all has to do with tactics. The old CV games are like this too. Once you get your tactics down and know how to get thru every situation, the game is a snap.

Mach 7

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2008, 05:22:38 AM »
If you think any of you have ever played the hardest game,
your wrong!!,

try this one: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/422675

If any of you guys can do this game without even dying once,

then you can call yourself the ultimate god of sidescrolling platformer

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2008, 11:49:19 AM »
In Reply To #48

OMG, I'm gonna kill the persoin who made this! Its worse than the impossible quiz!
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »
In Reply To #48

OMG, I'm gonna kill the persoin who made this! Its worse than the impossible quiz!
It's not hard, you just have to know where the traps are. Just like the title sais it's unfair not hard. :P If you wanna go hardcore, go play Silver Surfer on the nes. Even touch the walls and you're dead :o

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2008, 12:12:09 AM »
It's not hard, you just have to know where the traps are. Just like the title sais it's unfair not hard. :P If you wanna go hardcore, go play Silver Surfer on the nes. Even touch the walls and you're dead :o     

Yeah silver surfer is nuts, but I can beat the fire guy. ;D

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »
I'm going through a classic game phase starting with Castlevania (the 1st one). I managed to get to the level where you fight death and after a billion tries of re-doing the level, I finally won! I miss that rewarding "HELL YES, I WON!" feeling after beating a tough level! I wish more recent games could still have kept that. Next step, Dragon Warrior! :)

Offline fallenangel86

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2008, 06:20:36 PM »
problem is, people want longer lasting experiences. not myself personally, but in general. with that comes easier gameplay and game saves.

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »
Hey, what do ya know, I just heard that Order of Ecclesia is going to be made easier than previous DS titles! As if they weren't already easy enough?! >:(

It just goes to show how pathetic it is how people can't handle a challenge. They should be making it harder! It's not the company's responsibility to make sure games are easy enough for people at the emotional level of a five year old can beat the game so they don't cry and go pout in the corner! They should make them so hard that people like that get frustrated, break their DS in half, and then have to buy new ones! The company makes more money! ;D

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2008, 11:48:07 PM »
Hey, what do ya know, I just heard that Order of Ecclesia is going to be made easier than previous DS titles! As if they weren't already easy enough?! >:(

can you post a link cuz if that's the case I won't even bother picking it up.

warfreak

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »
It's not the company's responsibility to make sure games are easy enough for people at the emotional level of a five year old can beat the game so they don't cry and go pout in the corner! They should make them so hard that people like that get frustrated, break their DS in half, and then have to buy new ones! The company makes more money! ;D
Or they would just stop buying consoles, handhelds, and games because they are just too frustrating.

:P That's why I still think there should be Easy, Normal, and Hard mode.

Saroor

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2008, 11:21:44 AM »
CoD4 on veteran had some tough spots, especially Mile High Club. But so many people are into multi-player these days. I don't think it's a case where people don't want to get better at a game, it's just multi-player skills do not always transfer to playing against the AI (especially true in fighting games). There are alot of single player games that are still very easy, ho9wever. I agree with the comment about lives and limited continues, that is more annoying than challenging.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »
CoD4 on veteran had some tough spots, especially Mile High Club. But so many people are into multi-player these days. I don't think it's a case where people don't want to get better at a game, it's just multi-player skills do not always transfer to playing against the AI (especially true in fighting games). There are alot of single player games that are still very easy, ho9wever. I agree with the comment about lives and limited continues, that is more annoying than challenging.

There was a Curse of Darkness 4?  I didn't even know they had a 2 and 3.  Why did they make sequels to such a shoddy game?

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2008, 07:05:23 AM »
In Reply To #55

Sorry, I can't seem to find the site where I read that, which could mean
A. It IS true, but I can't find it
B. It was just a rumor

Offline fallenangel86

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2008, 06:14:46 PM »
i read a maagazine scan where iga stated someone advised him to make the games easier to make them accessible, but he admits even he thinks they're too easy. so if anything he might actually make it harder.

Tags:

anything