Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: We voted for the wrong guy? IGA  (Read 46041 times)

Offline kingu

• Dragon
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • You should have saying!
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »
+1
We just let an outsider come in and put an end to out series as we know it for good! :o And for what? A Metriod game with Castlevania enemies, of course :D... Yeah, we aren't playing Castlevania anymore folks. Maybe we should merge the Castleroids games with a Metroid forum?... FLAME ON!!!
how drastic. you sure have a knack for condescension. the formula is handled much differently and features a completely different style, aesthetic, and direction. the problem with the games came around the time of the ps2 and ds games which adopted a total kleptomania mentality and abandoned thoughts of engaging level design.

the simplest things like aria's discus knights above slopes work to an advantage. what do you mean by "design and balance" when talking about circle? much of the game involves column repetition while "classic" physics are taken into an irregular environment. it steeps into unfair territory, as silly as it sounds when you face bear and beast demon after bear and beast demon duo.

Offline Sinful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
Wow, am I glad I brought this topic up. As it's much more popular then I though + the best part is I'm learning a lot of facts of great interest to me that I wasn't aware of before (remember, I new this this series and especially not familiar with the IGA directed games & Metroid vania games).

And who would of thunk that the last Metroid vania game I played back when it was new was with a whip wielding hero?! :o How did that fly over my head?... Maybe because my point still stands that them IGA Metroid vania games usually don't have a whip wielding hero? (Them PS2 games I knew about having a whip... but really, I think if them games didn't have a whip wielding hero then there'd be nothing to resemble a Castlevania game, no?). Do all the DS games have a non-whip wielding hero as well then I take it?

Oh, and to those that are upset that I may seem kinda harsh toward them Castleroid games, well  don't be. As they just don't really seem to impress me nearly as much as the classic style games (which I'm much more in the mood for right now too)... Though I do always reserve the right to change my mind on these things, as I always like to start games with a fresh and open mind, just in case they may end up one of my all time fav games? Plus you never know what I may be in the mood for next?... Besides, if I'd start a game with a pickle up my butt, then chances are that I'd never see any of said particular game's good points?... You know, like how most videogame reviews are done :D... So yeah, I may have a totally different impression about them after I give them some serious playtime?... But in the end, it's still sad that they put a complete stop to the classic series.

I never knew about Castlevania series sales figures until very recently when I watched GTs Castlevania Retrospective; The Castlevania Retrospective Video Game | Reviews, Trailers & Interviews | GameTrailers.com

And though I only watched up to SotN, I was shocked to find out that none of the vania games were really big hits, or go over a million in sales. :o So yeah, that caught me totally off guard... I never watched past SotN since I don't want to run into any spoilers. Thus never knew that CotM was the first million seller (does the video even acknowledge this? How accurate do you guys think this source is?)... which is weird, because then why didn't KCE Kobe continue on with any more vania games at all? As I assumed that they failed to live up to the vania standards and why though they might of been pulled off the series because of that? (Still might be possible, as though it may of been the biggest seller, the press and fans still don't see it as impressive as SotN... but I don't really know, I'm just assuming... you guys here seem to know a lot more on this mater then me, and I'm enjoying what's being said here. Hope it continues...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »
Glad we could be of service  :D But I'm like you in that I don't know a whole lot about the series either. Just enough to put in my 2 cents is all  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
The castlevania retrospective was the greatest thing ever.

also, PoR was on the DS and had Johnathan Morris, a whip wielder.

Too bad PoR was a failure as a sequel to bloodlines.

IGA always sucked at making sequels.

Also, only Lament of Innocence has a Belmont/whip user. Curse of Darkness had Hector, whos just another "use different weapons" kind of character.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline kingu

• Dragon
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
+1
there is more to a series than such basic components as whip wielders, otherwise ghosts'n goblins would might as well be castlevania and probotector would be too much like mega man.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »
Actually it was Lament. D:

But I believe the shortcomings of any of the games primarily have to do with the directors, and not the producers. There is a reason that Takeda Takashi was the one who talked about the direction of Harmony of Dissonance and apologized for its shortcomings.

My bad.....
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 05:02:26 PM »
To be honest, I actually liked the IGA era of games (I still play DoS, OoE, and HoD), though I'd be lying if I didn't admit that they could grow tiresome after a while, as it tended to be the same formula with a new 'gimmick' added.

As for Lords...to be honest, I'm not that fond of it. I suppose I'm in the column that like it as a game, but not as a Castlevania game so to speak.

We definitely needed something fresh from IGA, as I agree with other posters: he overstayed his welcome. But to be honest, I'm not really liking the tone/direction LoS took so I wouldn't mind seeing someone else take over the series and try something different.

Offline BingleGod

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: We voted for the wrong guy? IGA
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »
Quote from: Sinful
Do all the DS games have a non-whip wielding hero as well then I take it?

www.google.com

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »
What saddens me the most about LoS is that I can't remember much of the music. It's never happened before with this series. Some people seem to judge games based on things like story or challenge. I hold the music above all that. And now it seems we're stuck with this Oscar person. He's probably extremely talented but he tried to fix the only thing that was NEVER broken in Castlevania. :( Oh well, maybe his next soundtrack actually has some memorable melodies.

The IGA era always had excellent music (almost), can't argue with that.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:03:52 PM by shelverton. »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 10:07:03 PM »
What saddens me the most about LoS is that I can't remember much of the music. It's never happened before with this series. Some people seem to judge games based on things like story or challenge. I hold the music above all that. And now it seems we're stuck with this Oscar person. He's probably extremely talented but he tried to fix the only thing that was NEVER broken in Castlevania. :( Oh well, maybe his next soundtrack actually has some memorable melodies.

The IGA era always had excellent music (almost), can't argue with that.

Now that I read this comment I ask myself is it really that IGA was the problem or rather the team. I mean when IGA joined konami he was pretty good working I think on twinbee then writing on tokimeki memorial just to be sure

check the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koji_Igarashi

and for fun gamecenter cx (really good show if no one has watched it remember retro game challenge for the ds, well it's based of this show as well as it's sequel which was never released out of japan)

Game Center CX - Koji Igarashi Interview

Maybe he just needs a competent team.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »
I remember plenty of the music from LoS. I liked it. for mood pieces, they were really good. I just wish there were stage specific themes.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Archangel

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 08:54:29 AM »
+1
Game Center CX - Koji Igarashi Interview[/url]

Can´t say why... but this video makes me so sad :-\

Edit:

Now I really miss IGA...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:26:27 AM by Archangel »
But people can’t be ruled by power alone! The sacred, the honorable, the loved…those things can rule humanity. Something evil will eventually FALL TO RUIN!!

- Richter Belmont

Offline Sinful

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
+1
Oh yeah, GameCenter. I just stumbled upon this show about over a week ago?

Yeah, this interview was really good. Thanks for sharing.

What was sad about that interview was to find out that nobody was in charge of the vania series when he started. That really sucks, as it seemed anybody could have come in and rape the series as they please (Legends anyone?). So it's like all the guys that started this series just didn't care enough for it to continue it or oversee that no one screws it up. :'( No wonder the series is so darn messed up right now. >:( And IGA seems more concerned about making too many changes to the series as soon as he started with it. ie. the whip too boring? Why not make another game then?

And no wonder Rondo was so easy + no extra loop to fix it, his wife wanted a game he could handle. ;D

I also agree that a team behind a game can be more important then the director, big time. Too many directors now a days in whatever field really just don't know much of their jobs process outside of giving orders because they can. "Make it better!! How? I don't know or care, just do it or your fired!!! ...My career is at stake here for crying out loud. >_>" But there is still no doubt that the major changes to the vania series seems to be due to IGA. IGA gives his ideas (ie. no whip), and his team has to make it work... maybe this is why the series survived, due to his team alone?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
correct me if i'm wrong but the only game that didn't have a whip was Order of Ecclesia

Offline kingu

• Dragon
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2012, 01:06:36 PM »
sinful, why is something so superficial as a whip so important to you?

Tags: