Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: We voted for the wrong guy? IGA  (Read 45500 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »
+1
I think he believes that the whip is supposed to be the biggest offense to Dracula and the forces of darkness in Castlevania and in IGA's games (LoI, PoR and HoD aside) the whip isn't much a focus.

Me personally, I don't think it matters what you kill Dracula with, if Dracula can die from a pie in the face and it works then it's a job well done.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
+1
And no wonder Rondo was so easy + no extra loop to fix it, his wife wanted a game he could handle. ;D
well idk about that since his favorite cv is 3

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 04:10:59 PM »
+1
The issue with the whip is supposed to be that vampire killer is the one true bane of vampires. Their weakness. And therefore, the Belmonts are the ones cursed with eternally fighting Dracula.

But IGA has all these games where you play as random nobodies who are able to defeat Dracula. He's about as threatening as a squeaky toy when you can kill him with any kind of weapon.

Only one I could understand is Alucard, since well, he is about as strong as Dracula, even if not at the same exact level. he is his son after all, Id expect the son of the king of vampires to be able to defeat Dracula.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
gamecenter cx

A DVD collection will be released in the States this September courtesy of Discotek Media.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=418518858177214&id=147168055312297
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
+1
sinful, why is something so superficial as a whip so important to you?

To me the whip is very far from superficial. It's the iconic weapon of cv the games are about whipping evil, not slashing evil with a sword or something per say. When I play a vania I want to whip and sure having a sword or someside arm is good,but when it comes down to it it's about whipping. Also my other gripe is the fact that metroidvania has all most little to no belmonts(Julius will not get the game that we would want,Leon's story seemed to be a one shot, and justes was boring). Now why would something such as playing a belmont mean so much to me. How about the fact that they are the main character. Imagine playing zelda without Link and him never using a sword and shield or mario with out stars and mushrooms for the most part it just does not feel right. You just cannot take away the main characters and iconic things away from the series.

A DVD collection will be released in the States this September courtesy of Discotek Media.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=418518858177214&id=147168055312297

Edit: I hope the castlevania III episode is on there.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:15:01 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
+1
And no wonder Rondo was so easy + no extra loop to fix it, his wife wanted a game he could handle. ;D

This was the one thing that would have put Rondo from just "pretty good" to "godly" in my book. It's really a shame there were no difficulty options even in DXC.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:10:06 PM by Munchy »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »
+1
To me the whip is very far from superficial. It's the iconic weapon of cv the games are about whipping evil, not slashing evil with a sword or something per say. When I play a vania I want to whip and sure having a sword or someside arm is good,but when it comes down to it it's about whipping. Also my other gripe is the fact that metroidvania has all most little to no belmonts(Julius will not get the game that we would want,Leon's story seemed to be a one shot, and justes was boring). Now why would something such as playing a belmont mean so much to me. How about the fact that they are the main character. Imagine playing zelda without Link and him never using a sword and shield or mario with out stars and mushrooms for the most part it just does not feel right. You just cannot take away the main characters and iconic things away from the series.

My thoughts exactly about Castlevania's iconic weapon of choice.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
+4
But IGA has all these games where you play as random nobodies who are able to defeat Dracula. He's about as threatening as a squeaky toy when you can kill him with any kind of weapon.

"Random nobodies" means Hector and Shanoa- one guy whom Death states is imbued with the power of Dracula and fights a possessed man, and a woman who uses Dracula's own power to destroy him. Not exactly what I'd call nobodies.

Then there is PoR where you play as Jonathan, who is part Belmont. Not exactly without precedent, given Bloodlines. Gasp, you can even beat Dracula in that game as Eric LeCarde. That means fuckin' Tomikatsu Kirita not only shoehorned not-real Belmonts into the game, he even made it so that Eric could kill Dracula. I knew that Tomikatsu was the Castlevania producer who had it out for the Belmonts!

Then there are the Sorrow games, where you...play as Dracula and fight cultists.

So that leaves Leon Belmont and Juste Belmont.

Basically, the whole 'IGA hates Belmonts/whips/MEEEEEEEE' is unfiltered dumb filtered through a ton of dumb.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »
+1
If anything, IGA tried his hardest to expand the mythos and enable more games to be released. Call it shoe-horning if you will, but what else can you do? And since the 100 years rule would've made many of the games impossible, I think it was wise to find different ways of resurrecting Dracula, even if it meant that not all of the heroes could be Belmonts.

I mean, maybe they could've been, but in a series as expansive as Castlevania we needed more than just "This-protagonist-is-the-son-of-the-protagonist-from-the-last-game" type of stories. And IGA really tried. With varying results, admittedly. But still.

Now, about the whip. I like using a whip because it feels damn good, from a gameplay perspective :). But a sword wielder here and there is alright with me. I don't fully understand the story behind the Vampire Killer, and why it's only necessary sometimes and other times it isn't. Then again I hardly pay any attention to stuff like that. I prefer to ignore inconsistencies like that or I would probably not enjoy the games as much..

EDIT: Oh, and if you think about it, the vampire killer was never really necessary in any of the games. You can kill Dracula with holy water or knives or whatever you see fit. This goes for the original Castlevania as well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:54:26 PM by shelverton. »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 08:57:47 PM »
+1

This is how I feel too. When I think of Castlevania I think Belmonts(or Morris in their respected games). I have no problem playing as other characters but I think of them as sidekicks. SotN, OoE, and Aos are the only times I think where the sidekicks should be the main heroes. While games like Dos and CoD should have Belmont as the main hero with Soma and Hector being sidekicks. I think some games should change the main heroes last name to Belmont like CV64 or CotM.

With this being said this is only my opinion. I just like Belmonts more than anyone else in this series.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:37:06 AM by GuyStarwind »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »
"Random nobodies" means Hector and Shanoa- one guy whom Death states is imbued with the power of Dracula and fights a possessed man, and a woman who uses Dracula's own power to destroy him. Not exactly what I'd call nobodies.

Then there is PoR where you play as Jonathan, who is part Belmont. Not exactly without precedent, given Bloodlines. Gasp, you can even beat Dracula in that game as Eric LeCarde. That means fuckin' Tomikatsu Kirita not only shoehorned not-real Belmonts into the game, he even made it so that Eric could kill Dracula. I knew that Tomikatsu was the Castlevania producer who had it out for the Belmonts!

Then there are the Sorrow games, where you...play as Dracula and fight cultists.

So that leaves Leon Belmont and Juste Belmont.

Basically, the whole 'IGA hates Belmonts/whips/MEEEEEEEE' is unfiltered dumb filtered through a ton of dumb.

Bimmy Lee hit the nail on the head. Those that say IGA only created games w/o Belmonts, really have no idea what they're talking about & didn't pay attention to the plot of said games. +1 for you, sir!

edit: although to be fair i think eric/the lecardes were confirmed to be another offshoot of the Belmont family, so they're still related by blood
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:11:31 PM by Crisis »

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2012, 10:51:32 PM »
If anything, IGA tried his hardest to expand the mythos and enable more games to be released. Call it shoe-horning if you will, but what else can you do?
Create less games, but with good stories that could left a lasting impression, instead of infesting timeline with random characters and plots that would never lead to anything significant.
Quite simple really.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »
I mean, maybe they could've been, but in a series as expansive as Castlevania we needed more than just "This-protagonist-is-the-son-of-the-protagonist-from-the-last-game" type of stories. And IGA really tried. With varying results, admittedly. But still.

I personally think IGA would've been more successful if the none-Belmont protagonists did not go up against Dracula. The story's been set so that only a man or woman of Belmont lineage could destroy the Count. Needless to say that Alucard is an exception since he is the count's son. Everyone else would be cannon fodder if they confronted him. However IGA decided to throw this out the window in favor of his own ideas. Bad idea. Cause now it means that anyone can hand Dracula his @$$ which is just stupid.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 12:11:29 AM »
I personally think IGA would've been more successful if the none-Belmont protagonists did not go up against Dracula. The story's been set so that only a man or woman of Belmont lineage could destroy the Count. Needless to say that Alucard is an exception since he is the count's son. Everyone else would be cannon fodder if they confronted him. However IGA decided to throw this out the window in favor of his own ideas. Bad idea. Cause now it means that anyone can hand Dracula his @$$ which is just stupid.

Hear's an idea. Call me crazy and someone please correct me if I am wrong but why not have castlevania's with different characters,yet not fight dracula. How do I explain my reasoning for this. I want to use Zelda as a reference. Has anyone noticed that Ganon has not appeared on a handheld zelda game for the most part. You cannot even fight him normally in seasons and ages, but for the most part he has not been in most handhelds not in Link's awakening, minish cap, four swords, not to sure about spirit tracks and phantom hourglass have never played them so again correct me if I am wrong, so what I am trying to get at is if you are going to have non belmont characters introduced into the world of castlevania then introduce other villains without the use of dracula altogether. Now this sounds dumb but all what I am saying no belmont no dracula.

I mean with what I have said then iga has already done in a way with that the MV's but in the end it leads up to dracula, and lords has done that too,yet who knows what I am trying to say maybe I am losing it at the moment it is late right so maybe I have not thought of what I am trying to get said clear enough yet  :-\ Or to keep it simple and to the point consoles = Dracula/belmont, handheld = dracula/belmont or other side villian/story the story line will not be so messed up now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:13:10 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 01:35:24 AM »
This is a really good idea. I always thought it was dumb how easy Dracula could be defeated. I also thought it took away from the power of the Vampire Killer. Non-Belmont characters could fight other vampires or other monsters.

Tags:

anything