Poll

Is it okay to just dump a block of frozen hambuger into a piping hot skillet, or does it need to be thawed?

Sure, I see no problem with this.
3 (18.8%)
It's fine, but the cooking will be a little uneven. Still makes for good eats though.
4 (25%)
It'd be better to wait it out & thaw it.
7 (43.8%)
Thaw it or forget it, it's trash otherwise.
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Hamburger  (Read 9769 times)

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« on: June 30, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »
Asking for a friend...named...Naina...yeah. She's dating a guy named...Duzo...yeah, that's the ticket...anyway, Duzo thinks you need to thaw it or it's a dumpster fire. Naina doesn't mind & if she needs dinner done in a pinch, it's a-okay.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:22:16 PM »
http://www.stilltasty.com/articles/view/86

You never know how much you can eat before it's too late.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
+1
It's functionally safe to cook from frozen, for the most part. Damn near doubles your cooking time, though, and may not taste as good.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:02:58 PM »
Depends...some of the patties I use have instructions to prepare from frozen, and I do them on my cast iron pan all the time.  And they end up being the best home made burgers I've had
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 11:24:48 PM »
Oh, yes. Those kinds are specifically made to cook from frozen (and are bloody tasty). Cooking in cast iron often lends to better taste, too. Run-of-the-mill storebought ground beef/chuck, though, typically takes way longer to cook from frozen.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 01:59:26 AM »
I suggest plan your dinner before hand and thaw the frozen meats in the refrigerator.

But if you really are in a hurry, throw it in the pan, start the fire, add some water, cover with a lid and let the steam do the work. Then when the the water is almost gone, release the lid and cook until the water is gone, let if fry either by its own juices (if it has more fat content) or add some cooking oil. Also works for sausages.

If I were her, I'd get the cook from frozen types.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 06:04:12 AM »
Hot-water thawing can actually be dangerous, as the outer layers of the meat can become exposed to temperatures and moisture levels suited for bacterial growth.

Freeze-searing with water steaming in the pan isn't as bad at this as thawing in a hot water bath, but the chance remains.

Cold water thawing is also much faster than refrigeration thawing, but requires actively maintaining specific water temperature. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
We always thaw out the meat before frying it up. And yes, cooking in cast iron gives the kind of flavor other pans cannot. Also try barbecuing burgers as well. Those're good too  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »
And yes, cooking in cast iron gives the kind of flavor other pans cannot.

Heheh, we have an unhealthy amount of cast iron. We've gone and put all but two of our non-cast potware in the garage as a result.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
My god, am I really learning how to properly cook an Hamburger?
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
You would be wise not to underestimate the value of a well-made burger, my friend. For the burger is great and terrible, and is beholden with great power.

Offline Briraka

• Hunter in Training
  • \m/
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 04:14:04 PM »
usually i'm not concerned with taste, so i just plop that frozen fucker on there and let it sizzle.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 10:28:27 PM »
+1
I thought it was a topic about the movie for a minute.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 11:16:56 PM »
Hot-water thawing can actually be dangerous, as the outer layers of the meat can become exposed to temperatures and moisture levels suited for bacterial growth.

Freeze-searing with water steaming in the pan isn't as bad at this as thawing in a hot water bath, but the chance remains.

Cold water thawing is also much faster than refrigeration thawing, but requires actively maintaining specific water temperature. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Ooohhh never knew that. But then when I thaw things in hot water, I boil it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 12:27:46 AM »
Heheh, we have an unhealthy amount of cast iron. We've gone and put all but two of our non-cast potware in the garage as a result.

Cast iron. Once you go black you never go back, lol. Another thing that's good about cooking in cast iron is sauteed mushrooms and potato chunks. And can't forget to add a nice thick dark gravy to the spuds. Mm-mmm good! Gawd dayum I'm a gettn' hungry now  :P
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything