Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Major tsunami damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake  (Read 9802 times)

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: Major tsunami damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:26:25 AM »
Way bad.

Pretty big earthquake that hit Hawaii about half an hour ago. Wondering if that will escalate.

Tsunami warnings from the shock in Japan reaching as far as Chile and California.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:54:55 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:56:09 AM »
Oh man........i just saw it on tv news.......this was terrible!!!! It made me think of the 2012 movie!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »
My heart is with the people of Japan... Another earthquake, and so shortly after the one in New Zealand!  :-\
People are so helpless against nature's power, even the most advances countries in the world.
And they said it could even get worse, after some nuclear power plants took damage and the radioactive materials could leak.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:14:07 AM »
This is very bad news, I hope our Japanese CV forums comrads are okay!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »
An 8.9 earthquake is a real monster to be dealt with. I can't help but feel that this quake will be just the first on many in the near future.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »
This is not the biggest earthquake / tsunami they've ever dealt with.

I do not see Death swooping down on them and wiping them out.

Though to my mind theres only one other instance I can think of that compares with it. I could be badly mistaken but If I'm not, around 1680 a huge tsunami hit and completely buried a town there. I mean it wiped it off the map outright. I know it was in the 1600s.

I do however see the danger of the nuclear plants. If they leak radiation for longer than a few days, with Japans population concentrations, it is likely to be a rather huge problem. (not that I'm down on nuclear power outright or anything, I'm not).

It is a ring of fire nation. Earthquakes will come and go, but I'm glad that this one wasn't on the island itself, that would have been devastating beyond what this one is. All we can do is keep our back straight, keep a stiff upper lip, and try doggedly to fix whatever problems arise.
Nani?! An animu site with no hentai? Blaaasphemy!
Burn the witch in the name of LoL!

-Lulzy Lulzerton Esq, wizard of ounces

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 02:03:34 AM »
I wonder how Koutei is. I hope he's safe.

It's kinda frightening though. The death toll keeps climbing at an insane rate. Just 24 hours ago, it was just 1 person confirmed dead but now estimates are going into 1,600. Even with all the protection measures against earthquakes, both it and the tsunami dealt a colossal amount of damage. Seems like no matter what, we're all at the mercy of nature.

In Iwate Prefecture, the coastal city of Rikuzentakata was virtually destroyed by a tidal wave, with almost all the city submerged, the local police said. Tsunami reached as high as the third floor of the city hall, and only a few buildings remained in the urban area.

The coastal area of Miyako City and almost all of the town of Yamada, both in Iwate, were also submerged.
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77071.html

There was also apparently a leakage AND explosion at the Fukishima nuclear plant that Slayer mentioned. Things keep getting worse.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:06:27 AM by thernz »

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 03:37:50 AM »
It's wreaked a bit of havoc with our brothers in Northern California, but from what I can tell, we southern Californians are a-okay!  It worries me a bit, though, because our "big one" that they talk about happening is supposed to be something like that, I suppose.  I can only recall being alive during one huge earthquake, which was the Northridge Earthquake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Northridge_earthquake

That was apparently only a 6.7, and from what I can recall, it was pretty darn scary.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:48:05 AM by Blue Successor »

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 06:04:03 AM »
+1
I am alive though the crisis of the maximum life was experienced.
Damage is a little because I am in the Tokyocity.
However, I worry how about Japan becomes it.
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline danceofgold

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 06:41:26 AM »
Chilling to hear about the death toll and the horrible and far-reaching consequences. But I must say I really admire the Japanese for their resilience and never-say-die spirit, being a country that is always at the mercy of earthquakes. I am sure Japan will rebuild herself faster and stronger.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
I hope the people of Japan can rebound from this. With all of the stories about political corruption as of late, their decades of economic stagnation, and now this, its hard to imagine how they can maintain hope for the future. I hope for the best for them.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
It's kind of disheartening when I see on the news today all this coverage of California about boats being washed ashore and wrecked by the waves. OK, so some were houseboats, and people are without homes for a time...but still, there's massive destruction in Japan, many people dead or missing, mass evacuations due to potential nuclear power plant meltdown, more (albeit milder) earthquakes and tsunami... Tons of shit happening, and people here are concerned about some fucking boats.

Jeeeeeeeeez...
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 12:29:21 AM »
The USA is totally egocentric, dude.  What did you expect?
The 24-hour news networks eat this stuff up, and it's never "Here's some big news".  It's almost always "Here's some big news... but check out how it affects US because we know that's what you really care about".  Or, at least that's the way it is implied.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: