Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Major tsunami damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake  (Read 9652 times)

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
Re: Major tsunami damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »
It's kind of disheartening when I see on the news today all this coverage of California about boats being washed ashore and wrecked by the waves. OK, so some were houseboats, and people are without homes for a time...but still, there's massive destruction in Japan, many people dead or missing, mass evacuations due to potential nuclear power plant meltdown, more (albeit milder) earthquakes and tsunami... Tons of shit happening, and people here are concerned about some fucking boats.

Jeeeeeeeeez...

What irks me about this is that in California, all that happen was a few boats got tossed around a bit.

However, here in Hawaii, our whole west coast of Kailua Kona got smashed. I don't mean just smashed, but totally destroyed by the tsunami. All the straw shacks in Waikaloa village got wiped out. They don't even exist anymore.

When I look at the news, they barely mention Hawaii. Hell, I don't even know what crap happened on the other islands. Not even the local news is telling us anything.

I'm on the Big Island, so it's relatively safe with it's tall mountains and all, but the other islands are tiny in comparison. I have no idea how well they can hold up to tsunamis.

But when you think about it, Americans SHOULDN'T know about the vast amounts of damage on Hawaii, because it'll hurt the tourism, which is around 40% or so of our state income. If they see the damage, they might think it's normal for Hawaii to get totally destroyed, or some BS like that.

All they want to know is that their vacation spot is safe. I wonder if they care that actual people live on these rocks in the middle of the Pacific.

But even so, the damage done to this island is nothing compared to Japan islands. They have a death toll in the thousands, and we have...

...um, uh,

huh.

I have no idea if any people have died at all from the tsunami. Everything's all hushed up. I really have no idea what our numbers are.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »
The nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was never necessary to begin with. The only reasons why the Americans did it was A: A science experiment. To see the effects of such a weapon on human life and major metropolitan areas. To this day those scientists regret ever having participated in such a bastard experiment. And B: America wanted the whole world to know just what kind of new weapon they had up their sleeve. To deter others countries from going against their so-called great nation. Japan didn't need to be nuked as defeat was already inevitable, but america wanted to make a statement and they did so in the worst way. What uzo showed us is exactly what is wrong with the US. It's a sick read but it rings true about the current conditions within that country. The youths are taught in ignorance and can't even really think for themselves. They're forced by the older generation to remember things like pearl harbor, and in such a negative light that they just become a part of the problem rather then the solution. Personally I can't wait for their current government to collapse...which might be around nine years from now if they keep going the way their going.

-X

Remember that the Soviet Union was getting ready to invade Hokkaido too. If they didn't surrender immediately to the US, then there might have been a North vs South Japan situation. Not that this justifies the use of the atomic bomb, but the US fear of Soviet involvement in Japan was understandable.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 03:22:13 PM »
The red scare sure did rule the lives of many Americans.

Tags:

anything