Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: We're thinking of moving the Dungeon to a New Host  (Read 8832 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: We're thinking of moving the Dungeon to a New Host
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 06:43:57 PM »
Or only sustaining members can create threads. That's pretty simple and effective.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 07:40:25 PM »
I think we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement with the equally fine folks at Seriously!
http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=65031
In a nutshell Seriously! is looking for clients interested in some fairly cheap hosting that will help offset their own hosting costs and the Dungeon is looking for a cheaper host right?. If the CV dungeon decides to host the site on Seriously! own hosting service, I can see this being a win-win situation. Seriously! gets their hosting cost reduced and the CV Dungeon gets a nice, stable, feature rich and cheap host.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »
+1
Or only sustaining members can create threads. That's pretty simple and effective.

That would be unfair to people who might have info but don't have the right to share.
If that's the case, I'm all for crisis's suggestion.

Maybe Jorge can take a look at FireSeraphim's suggestion.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 06:29:10 AM »
Shouldn't we keep the donations on a volunteer-only basis, at least for the time being? Allowing special forum options for sustaining members might prejudice those users who do care about the forum, but don't necessarily feel like donating. At best, a special award for contribution could work -- but those heart icons are one of the most noticeable parts of a member's profile (and reflect post count and mod status), so conspicuously flaunting the "I have different icons because I paid" message might not be a very good idea.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »
I'm just brain storming here.

I thought that only allowing sustaining members to create threads would be a good way to keep people from spamming on the forum. A lot of people come here just to plug their projects and then they dip out, or barely post in other topics. Remember that non-sustaining members could still post in threads, just not create them. Simply making a thread called "Castlevania News and Rumors" would create an outlet for non sustaining members to post their info. So really, nothing would be lost. I feel like this would keep the unwanted material out more than it would keep the wanted material from getting in.

Of course donations would be on a volunteer basis only. But that doesn't mean that the forum shouldn't give a member some sort of incentive or appreciation for making a donation. I think at very least, sustaining members should get an award as a thank you for their investment. That's only being polite.

But again, I'm just brain storming!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »
Having a donator's only section is going to create the same problem as a VIP section.

They should get a special award and rank title/image, but nothing like special sections.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »
I love reading through this forum, posting on it, and occasionally starting a new topic.  I'd hate to lose that if I'm unable to give a donation.  (And, with the recent and soon to come events happening in my life (heart failure and new baby...I'll have a few new topics to start shortly) my budget is and will be...struggling for a bit. :-/

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »
Yeah. Making the forum set so that only donators can post would kill it faster than turning it into the ADOLF HITLER FAN CLUB forum.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »
+1
I would never ever make a forum where only donators can create threads.
That's... class warfare!

However, here's what I WOULD be down with:
-Adding little things to your profile and/or side (like shiny Diamonds/ReboundStones on your profile, similar to the axes/crosses/holywaters the admin/moderation team has)
-Having an Award for Donators.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »
what do i get if i send you one of my SotN handhelds & a lock of IGA's hair?  o.o;;

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
Hahaha. At least my idea for the donations isn't being shut down completely.

I think the thread rights idea seems a lot worse than it actually would be, but I can see why a lot of you seem to think that it's going too far. I was only throwing that out there. :P

A of token of appreciation that recognizes who sustaining members are is a good way to go.

How about some CV dungeon swag like coffee mugs? I would be all over that. :)

what do i get if i send you one of my SotN handhelds & a lock of IGA's hair?  o.o;;

If someone wants a SOTN handheld, I have one I am very willing to sell. PM me. If you're looking for IGA DNA, I can only help with a number for a therapist. LOL

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
How about some CV dungeon swag like coffee mugs? I would be all over that. :)

"Castlevania" is trademarked.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 04:01:32 AM »
Yeah, that was a joke.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 06:07:22 PM »
+1
"Castlevania" is trademarked.
Reverend Uzo coffee mugs, t-shirts, and "101 Reasons Your Sprite/Game/Etc. Sucks" pamphlets.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »
+1
I mentioned this in another thread, but maybe special emoticons for paying users, like :bat: or :medusa: might be a good incentive.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Tags: