Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Epic Mickey for 3DS = High-Res Action-Platformer (take notes, Konami)  (Read 7160 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
http://kotaku.com/5899037/epic-mickey-on-3ds-looks-straight-outta-1992/gallery/8

So I saw this on Kotaku today, and the graphics are quite beautiful.
It reminds me of what Mickey Mania should've been like (without the horrible SNES load-times), and harkens back to the days of Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse.

It's on 3DS.

Why can't Castlevania go ahead and do something like this?  Even in the comments people are clamoring for Castlevania and Metroid in this same style.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Epic Mickey for 3DS = High-Res Action-Platformer (take notes, Konami)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »
+1
Ehm, IDK Jorge.. it doesn't look that good (for a 3DS game) ... WTF is with that pixelation?

But yeah, I'm all for the idea of 2D counterparts of 3Dgames, and that's something I'd wholeheartly support in CV
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:42:02 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »
That looks lovely.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:54:09 PM »
It's actually a successor to Castle/Land/World/Whatever of Illusion more than Mickey Mania.

But yes, it looks awesome. And Konami will probably pay zero attention to it because they smoke crack rock.

Ehm, IDK Jorge.. it doesn't look that good (for a 3DS game) ... WTF is with that pixelation?

I do kinda agree with this, despite being a huge sucker for most anything 2D. The resolution does look like a DS game with expanded view range. And why isn't it 32 bit?

I suppose it's something you have to see in motion to truly appreciate.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:57:34 PM by Munchy »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
Well the 3DS only does 400x240 resolution on the top screen (800x240 if you have 3D on but that's somewhat misleading).

You're gonna get pixelation (actually the picture above seems to have been resized so the pixelation you're seeing is not what you see in the game, I'd imagine).  Wait, people care about this?
Also, you're forgetting about the 3D effect which I'd imagine would make a lot of those backgrounds look a lot nicer (like in Mighty Switch Force).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »
And what's it matter about pixelation? It lets you draw what you want to use in the game too (there must be some limitations, like I'm sure it wouldn't let me draw Fat Man or Little Boy and defeat Captain Hook in one shot).
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »
You're gonna get pixelation (actually the picture above seems to have been resized so the pixelation you're seeing is not what you see in the game, I'd imagine).  Wait, people care about this?

I was looking more at the 16-bit-ness rather than pixelation. It doesn't seem like the extra power of the system would benefit the game at all outside of 3D effects; it looks like it could be on the old DS besides the big screen size. But who knows, there may be a ton of effects we're missing because they're stills.

In spite of this, I will buy the game. I'm getting huge Contra 4 vibes from it.

Anyone think the screen of Captain Hook is a nod to the ship stage in MvC2? I know it's a stretch, as it's just a ship, but the angle is the same. And they've already confirmed a nod to the Suikoden games with the "hub" level.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:19:36 PM by Munchy »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:27:37 PM »
+1

Pixelation is bad how? I like my 2D games to have pixelation, particularly if they were drawn dot-by-dot (dunno if that's the case here). I'm not as impressed by hand-drawn games that look like they were animated in Flash such as Muramasa, though those look cool to a certain extent. SNES 4 life.

And those Mickey caps look wonderful. I hope the game's as fun as it looks, 'cos that'll be a definite buy if so.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 01:45:58 AM »
+1
Alsooo~

Seeing Scrooge there makes me yearn for a third DuckTales game from Capcom. Would be tiiiiiiiiite.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 02:27:24 AM »
Alsooo~

Seeing Scrooge there makes me yearn for a third DuckTales game from Capcom. Would be tiiiiiiiiite.

Oh yes..........that would be awesome. I wish that i had a 3DS, but no...........i don't.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 05:10:58 AM »
Yeah when I saw Scrooge that's the first thing I thought of: zOMG DUCKTALES!!!! :O :O :O :D
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »
A 3D Ducktales with the same cane-bouncing mechanics would be Game of the Forever.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
+1
Why make it 3D, this is beautiful from the screenshots, I will admit it. Pixelation doesn't bother me at all, I grew up with this kind of stuff.

Also just say no to a 3D Duck Tales, it could be done in this similar manner to how this Mickey game is being done.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »
+1
3D DuckTales sounds terrible. :( I can imagine the pogo-cane attack being really wonky in 3D.

3D's overrated anyway.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.