Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Megaman Takedowns on Youtube  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:44:37 PM »
Alright, so to make a very long story short, ACE_Spark and I have come into conflicts more than a few times with various companies claiming copyright infringing on YouTube. These companies don't actually own the rights to what they're claiming (which is mostly Megaman content), and from what we've researched into their business practices and the US and UK copyright and fair use laws, they're illegally monetizing and then shutting down videos on YouTube featuring Megaman content at their discretion. ACE and I are more than a little disturbed and angered by this. Seeing as we don't have the resources or manpower to actually go up against these guys (especially considering UMG is among them), we've made a podcast explaining what they're doing, how it's hurting Megaman as a franchise; how it's hurting the fandom; how it's hurting Capcom; how it's making them look; and how, if left unchecked, they'll most likely spread these dealings to other practices and series and continue their crusade of destroying protected information and free advertising for Capcom, the very over-arching IP they're - essentially - stealing from.

Obviously two YouTube videos (which I suspect don't have long lifespans) and a podcast download link aren't much. That's why ACE and I are asking people to spread the word. One share out of ten still goes a long way.

Now, I expect more than a fair share of sarcastic remarks and questioning of our proof. However, as explained in the podcast and video descriptions, what more proof is needed besides the fact that we've both had unnecessary run-ins with these people, and know others who have as well. If anyone here feels the need to inform me that this undertaking is stupid or unsupported or whatever else...I can't say much that isn't explained in the podcast. We have our justifications, we have our experiences, and we've been around the block enough to know when something is this serious.

All that said, here's the video link. Links to the companies' sites, Capcom Unity's representatives, and the Inc. podcast files are all in its description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwC0qwalTCk

I'm not asking for a personal army. All I'm asking is to get the word around. What these guys are doing is wrong on moral, artistic, and legal grounds; and nobody else has said anything about it yet.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:21:48 PM »
You should be addressing Capcom directly with this. They're extraordinarily fan friendly, and they want fans to be making content to promotes their stuff. I'm certain they will at least look into it if you make the right person within Capcom aware of it.

Like quite literally send an email to their legal team's address. Just make it proper or they might trash it as spam.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »
Forgive my indiscretion, uzo, but did you even watch it? We covered all that. Capcom's gone on record saying they're not doing this and want no part in it, and ACE has been in contact with Brett over at Capcom Unity for some time now over this. So they already know about it.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 11:57:54 PM »
try and email capcom of Japan. they seem eager for any excuse to make money these days. what was that recent lawsuit over again?

As far as Capcom US goes, I dotn think they have that much power or will to do anything on their own. Japan calls ALL their shots
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 06:29:05 AM »
Forgive my indiscretion, uzo, but did you even watch it? We covered all that. Capcom's gone on record saying they're not doing this and want no part in it, and ACE has been in contact with Brett over at Capcom Unity for some time now over this. So they already know about it.

I didn't. Ain't nobody got time for that when you're about to launch a game. Too busy :P

I guess Capcom Japan is the next best shot you got.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »
try and email capcom of Japan. they seem eager for any excuse to make money these days. what was that recent lawsuit over again?

Can't remember, but all the shit going down in Japan the last few years certainly can't have helped them any, so I can understand their business practices.

Tags: