Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Remix  (Read 600577 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #750 on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »
So I downloaded the album. Vampire's Stomach sounds gorjeous. It somehow doesn't sound like a boss theme... I don't know why since I'm not a musician, but I risk saying it's the drums. Six Servants of Evil, though... I could barely recognize the song. It's a good song, but sounds so little like the original one I cannot equate them to compare.

The whole album sounds incredible. Thank you for letting me know it exists.
Glad you enjoyed the album(s). I hope you also DL'd the first volume.

I agree "Six Servants" doesn't sound a lot like the original. It was very hard to arrange (I mean a real arrangement, not doing a MIDI rip like 80% of Internet's "musicians"). Plus I had a concept in mind for this track (the solos).

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #751 on: June 11, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »
I really like seeing the PS2 entries getting retro remixes. They're rare.
You rang?

One down, Plot.
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/1y3zm6k348n916h/TheVampire'sStomach.mp3

And Chernabogue, that's a bit unfair to that community. There's a certain degree of respect in doing MIDI-rip-based songs due to the accuracy that can present, but it's a kick in the balls to declare that entire group of people guilty of being faux musicians. Believe me, I'm capable of arranging songs myself, but using MIDIs is just easier and saves me a lot of time I don't have.

Now the fuckers who obviously rip a MIDI and say they wrote it themselves, or the ones who do almost nothing with it and try and pass it off as OC...that I can understand.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #752 on: June 11, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »
And Chernabogue, that's a bit unfair to that community. There's a certain degree of respect in doing MIDI-rip-based songs due to the accuracy that can present, but it's a kick in the balls to declare that entire group of people guilty of being faux musicians. Believe me, I'm capable of arranging songs myself, but using MIDIs is just easier and saves me a lot of time I don't have.

Now the fuckers who obviously rip a MIDI and say they wrote it themselves, or the ones who do almost nothing with it and try and pass it off as OC...that I can understand.
I am referring to that kind of people, who are downloading a MIDI file, adding a few MIDI instruments, and call it the best remix ever. I totally respect people who create a MIDI file from nothing because it indeed requires a lot of work, but MIDI rips in general are bad IMO (mostly since people don't use good samples). I am sorry if I offended you.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #753 on: June 12, 2014, 08:32:09 AM »
One down, Plot.

I like it a lot. It has the "Music that you listen in videogames" quality that I look for in videogame music, however it lacks the impact of "final showdown with Dracula".
Recently, I went to the CVBLA to scavenge for remixes, and found one orchestrated Vampire's Stomach by Malphas that is fantastic. Unfortunatelly it sounds unfinished in some details, with spikes on the volume and a not-so-pleasant chorus, that you nailed down, yet it does incorporate the "impact" I mentioned.

Yours sound calmer and more "even". Like, all through the song there are no spikes, which I like very much. The only things that bothered me is the beginning (The instruments sound "deader" somehow, mute), and the lack of more organ. There is no such a thing as "too much organ".

The "impact" I keep mentioning probably comes from the Contrabass and the Tuba.

Please take my points as points from someone with little to no sound design knowledge.
Here is Malphas' version for comparison purposes.

And... One more arrange. From Bloodlines again:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeVoZgZZ0UY
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:35:18 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #754 on: June 13, 2014, 06:13:39 PM »
No, Chern, you didn't offend me. But I've seen that argument many a time from uninformed twits who did. You know what you're talking about, I was only making sure. 'sall good.

Second pass, Plot.

Also, thought I had Cantus on the Realm. Guess not. :P
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/lztcrnoex8rj75r/CantusMotetten.mp3

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #755 on: June 16, 2014, 05:32:59 PM »
+1
I don't know how I didn't post this beforehand, but I'm remedying that now.

Some very good friends of mine that comprise the band "Viking Guitar Live" decided to debut at this past MAGFest a truncated version of band lead Viking Guitar's "Whipcracker" medley of Super Castlevania 4.

It was as awesome to watch as it still is to hear:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCEK_emdKz0&feature=youtu.be&t=6m29s

(also, their live album that has this track is now on pre-sale!)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #756 on: June 16, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »
No idea why it isn't embedding.

I had this embedding problem too. Circunvented it by removing the "http://" part.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #757 on: June 16, 2014, 07:37:44 PM »
I believe it's the 's' in "https" that causes the issue.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #758 on: June 16, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
Yup, fixed it. Thanks!

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #759 on: June 16, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
This is exactly why I regret having to miss MagFest this year. It was on during the final weeks just before release for the game, so there wasn't any chance I'd get to go. Extra sad, since we got an invitation from them to go too.

Seriously, just kicking off the CV segment with my FAVORITE from SCVIV. I would have loved to have been there.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:51:43 PM by uzo »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #760 on: June 16, 2014, 07:52:16 PM »
Dracula, how do you compose all your music?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #761 on: June 17, 2014, 02:49:27 PM »
This is exactly why I regret having to miss MagFest this year. It was on during the final weeks just before release for the game, so there wasn't any chance I'd get to go. Extra sad, since we got an invitation from them to go too.

Seriously, just kicking off the CV segment with my FAVORITE from SCVIV. I would have loved to have been there.

Fun Fact: This almost didn't make their set because Whipcracker is so incredibly long and segmented that having 5 guys trying to play it would be way too difficult in it's entirety. However, I......coaxed VG to make a try at arranging it shorter, and they ended up with this. =) (and yes, Forest of Monsters is my favorite of SCV4 also....I'm not sure if that was intentional)

I didn't know you'd been to past MAGFests, uzo. What company/group are you with that you got the invite?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #762 on: June 18, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »
I own the game company Skylance Studio. We didn't go to a past one though. We got the invite from them at PAX East last year.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #763 on: June 18, 2014, 01:02:56 PM »
Yeah we were gonna go for a while but then he backed out.  I went.
And then we were gonna go to PAX-East but then I had to back out. He went.

However, I'm not a part of his studio at all.  Just a buddy.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #764 on: June 24, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »
Finally got some Gameboy samples I can actually work with. W00t!

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/4tgqgrc64biif4q/originalsin_GB.mp3