Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What is the general opinion of Legends' story?  (Read 22841 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: What is the general opinion of Legends' story?
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »

If your going by PoR, apparently, you still have to be part of the Belmont family line otherwise the whip doesn't work for you at all. However, even if you are part of the bloodline, if you're not a direct decedent, then the whip won't work for you properly until you unlock it's full potential.
That actually doesn't make really sense. It doesn't matter if a random guy or someone with ties to the Belmont clan wields the whip they will all end up dead anyway. It's never really explained why only pure Belmonts could wield it. Before PoR I always assumed the whip "judges" you to see if your worthy enough to use it. By the way I don't think you have to be a direct decedent but again I could be wrong. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:29:37 PM by Nagumo »

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
it might also be a bloodline+spiritual connection thing.

the whip works for those who were using it ever since leon, and possibly were "in tune" with the spirit inside it due to the exposure to it since their earliest days.

but for those who dodged that duty and ran away, like how the morrises went to usa the whip might have denied it due to them being traitors to the bloodline (dodging their sworn duty to combat the darkness and pursue dracula until he's destroyed that was started by leon), and so they have to prove their worth to be granted that power.

and even once they do, they have to pay the ultimate price.

maybe the power that comes from the whip, while easily tolerated by a real belmont who was trained with it since childhood like many generations before him, is simply too great for those who didn't have any contact with it for so long (the morrises supposedly separated from the main clan after trevor, before christopher, so around 400 years before), and slowly destroys them.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2008, 01:01:59 PM »
Where does it say that the Morris' separated from the Belmonts?

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2008, 07:29:23 PM »
Wait one sec, the VK DOES NOT KILL ANYONE WHO USES IT.  Whoever said that just made it up.  It does nothing for non-Belmonts (as stated in the DoS library I believe).  it only takes the life force of non-pure Belmont's who un-lock its power, like the Morris's.  Nowhere does it ever say it kills anyone else.

And I doubt the Morris's ran away, they didn't go to the U.S. until one or two generations before Quincy.  It is pretty apparent that the VK is handed down father to son, how else would it be wielded by some with the name Belmont from leon down?  If given to a daughter the name would change (another reason legends is full of fail).  The Morris's split off between Trevor and Christopher (don't remember where I heard that, a timeline or an interview with IGA, not sure) and while still having the ability to use the whip, didn't for hundreds of years.  So when they needed to use it, they had to do a ritual, because that part of the family had been seperated from its power for so long.  The life force drain is also due to this, I bet if it stayed in the Morris family's hands long enough it would work normally for them.
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 03:20:31 AM »
I think it's stupid that it's "All in the Name".
I never liked the decision made Konami (possibly IGA) to have John perish because he used it...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 04:35:36 AM »
Konami (possibly IGA)
iga. konami itself is just a company, it doesn't care about one of their niche franchises' storyline details.

all they care about is milking it for money, which was especially visible starting from dos and pork when they "tried to broaden the fanbase with kids", and now when we get 3 titles one after another, the later two being a complete departure from the series's roots. :o

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2008, 06:09:20 AM »
iga. konami itself is just a company, it doesn't care about one of their niche franchises' storyline details.

all they care about is milking it for money, which was especially visible starting from dos and pork when they "tried to broaden the fanbase with kids", and now when we get 3 titles one after another, the later two being a complete departure from the series's roots. :o
Would the three games you mention be: DoS, CoD, and PoR?  Well, I'll admit DoS and PoR were a stretch, but CoD was good.  Ok, it speaks of a war at the time of Cv 3 that wasn't mentioned in that game.  So what?  The individual story was great.  I admit that the existence of a war with Dracula during CV3 that did not occur in that game, but that game's story seems to be lacking.  Then again, that's just my opinion.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 06:33:20 AM »
nope, i meant dos and pork. i forgot cod was released around that time too. and right now judgement and the arcade game, both just screaming "milking the series for all it's worth"

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
I seriously doubt it is about the name.  I think it is one of two things.

1. It is handed down father to son because that is how the magic works.  This is not at all uncommon, and before you say this is stupid or sexist, you same people would be fine with something passed down mother to daughter.  It's common in the lore of every culture to have things ike this.

2. It is handed down father to son because that is how Leon started it (the time period would make this make perfect sense) and it just became the norm.  I mean no modern Belmont's aside Julius use it.  And the Morris's can't use it properly because there part of the bloodline has been separated from it for like 400 years.
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »
Would the three games you mention be: DoS, CoD, and PoR?  Well, I'll admit DoS and PoR were a stretch, but CoD was good.  Ok, it speaks of a war at the time of Cv 3 that wasn't mentioned in that game.  So what?  The individual story was great.  I admit that the existence of a war with Dracula during CV3 that did not occur in that game, but that game's story seems to be lacking.  Then again, that's just my opinion.
The war was mentioned in Cv3.  Read the translated Japanese manual.
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2008, 07:47:50 AM »
The war was mentioned in Cv3.  Read the translated Japanese manual.
I didn't realize that.  In that case, CoD does it pretty good in the official timeline.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
I think Konami should make a series of games that clears up the true, official storyline of Castlevania. Either that, or a series of books. I believe a lot of Castlevania fans would appreciate that.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2008, 02:07:04 PM »
In Reply To #72

Or just abandon the current story and create it anew.

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »
In Reply To #72
You can just ask me.  I know it all.  ;D
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »
don't worry.  The Castlevania Judgment backstories will explain it all! ...

Tags:

anything