Poll

What's your favorite alternate character mode?   Choose 2 please.

Richter -SotN
Maria -NitM
Maria -DXC SotN
Maxim -HoD
Julius -AoS
Julius -DoS
Sisters -PoR
Richter -PoR
Axe Armor -PoR
Albus -OoE
They all suck!
I don't know.  My mind was recently violated by a dark priest.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Alternate Character Modes Poll  (Read 2968 times)

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: February 27, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »
That pretty much sums it....  Oh and the 3-d games are not included for the sake of fair comparisons.  Feel free to explain your choices.

True Sorrow

Re: Alternate Character Modes Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »
Personally I liked DoS's Julius mode the most, by far. While every other mode just felt like "ur playin' an uber-fast d00d and keel everythin'", this one had a certain depth to it. Just the bare fact that you could actually choose from three styles of play really added a lot to the overall experience. Oh, and Soma Dracula was really neat, along with one of the best versions of Dance of Illusions. That hint of storyline did wonders to the story, and the material given was way better than anything else in the game :P

Other than that...Maxim and AoS Julius mode were actually a lot of fun, so they get second place. Not sure which one, though, they were both really good in their own ways, but I can't really decide between the two. So I just entered DoS Julius mode, didn't vote a second.

In regards to SotN's richter mode...I felt that it really didn't fit the style of the game, resulting in an overall "meh" experience. That, and Richter just controlled really, really weird, being more agile than in the old CV games but not nearly as flexible as Alucard. Not something I'm terribly interested in.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:23:21 AM »
In Reply To #2

Julius Mode DoS is emerging a clear winner here, and I think it has a great deal to do with how well implemented it was into the game.  But even this one --good as it is-- has that tacked on feeling.  All of these character modes could be so much more with just a little added effort.

For Example --Julius always has all of his subs from the outset.  Why would it be such a bother to hide those subs in candles and limit him to holding one at a time?  Respect the tradition.  Ya know?

I'd also like to see more options for equipment --with 3 characters in DoS, it would have been a major opportunity to specialize the trio and mix up their powers a bit more.

And a few relics for these bonus modes would be a nice touch of sophistication --as opposed to having all these godlike powers from the outset.  Imagine if Alucard had to look around a little for his Soul of Bat.

About SotN Richter --I felt just like he was unbalanced --overpowered and too weak to take much punishment.  Although I loved his moveset.  Actually I voted Maxim for my second choice because I love his moveset too.  AoS Julius had that sweet side dash, but otherwise that one just fell flat for me.

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with cecil-kain's observations on Julius Mode in DoS. Additional modes can and *should* contain both more overall depth and some exclusive features.

Richter Mode in PoR is straight-up fun though, and we need more of those too. A character out of his/her/their element and able to kick as much ass if not moreso than the freakin' main character(s) is great and makes for a dual dose of classic old-school nostalgia crossed with the sheer pleasure of having a good time playing. Which is what games in general are all about, am I right?

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
Judging from these responses, it looks like I missed something..  I never played NitM.  For those in the know, what makes NitM Maria superior to her DXC SotN counterpart?

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »
In Reply To #5

I have played it, but instead of telling you, i'll let you see for your self.
Just take a look here and see for your self:

Maria Nitm vs Galamoth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg4TUJ6sKmA

And these two:

Maria vs all bosses first castle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmcWcqWZCmQ&feature=related

Maria vs all the bosses second castle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiK_XJh2UXo&NR=1
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:50:38 AM by Dark Nemesis »
Ruler of Chaos

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 04:31:51 PM »
In Reply To #6

Intriguing; powerful indeed...  Perhaps a bit too powerful -- like SotN Richter...  You can't tell from these videos, but I'm guessing she can't take much punishment.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 04:52:30 AM »
In Reply To #7

You are right, she can't handle to much damage, but since no one can touch her, she doesn't need to worry.
Ruler of Chaos

Tags: