Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Richter Belmont = Gopher from Winnie the Pooh!?  (Read 6934 times)

Offline Fahrenheit

• Hunter in Training
    • Videogamezdudeandcoolio
    • Awards
Richter Belmont = Gopher from Winnie the Pooh!?
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »
Oh my god...I just found this out. The voice actor from Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Michael Gough, who plays Richter Belmont (DIE MONSTER!) is the voice of Gopher from Winnie the Pooh...I don't freaking believe it. They don't sound anything alike.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0260785/

^The page for Castlevania Symphony of the Night on imdb. Note how it says Michael Gough is Richter.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0299855/

^Michael Gough's page. The credits include Richter Belmont and Gopher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xalbNOiD-54

^Richter Belmont's famous DIE MONSTER! Scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7KXgt5zOFM

^A scene from Winnie the Pooh with Gopher!
"Wise fwom yo gway."

-Zeus, Altered Beast

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Richter Belmont = Gopher from Winnie the Pooh!?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 01:30:41 AM »
I find it very hard to believe despite being referenced on wikipedia.  Just that a lot of the voice actors in SOTN were guys who were also doing VA work for different japanese games - this was before professional actors were commonly used in console games.  I would think that Konami hired some english voice over group in japan; Michael Gough seems to be a professional VA in America and havin him to be Richter's VA doesn't make sense especially how awful the voice acting is.  If I recall, it was said that the same guy who voiced Richter also voiced Chris Redfield in RE1

Like Wiki, infromation on IMDB can be added by anybody with an IMDB account; it reminds me of the time when someone credited Leonardo Dicaprio in the BBC show Life on Mars.  The problem was that whoever added that information mistook the spliced fanmade clip as real.  The reference of Dicaprio in that show is no longer there.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:37:01 AM by le052383 »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:03:41 AM »
I guess it might be probable. His role as Gopher only started recently so.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:07:14 AM by thernz »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:06:57 AM »
Somebody claimed that Sypha's voice actress in Judgment is the same person who did the voice for Lighting in XIII but they sound nothing alike. Anyone care to explain that?     
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:09:12 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:37:41 AM »
Welp. My mind has been blown. Thanks for that little nugget of info, I can't look at Richter the same way ever again now.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:45:27 AM »
I find it very hard to believe despite being referenced on wikipedia.  Just that a lot of the voice actors in SOTN were guys who were also doing VA work for different japanese games - this was before professional actors were commonly used in console games.  I would think that Konami hired some english voice over group in japan; Michael Gough seems to be a professional VA in America and havin him to be Richter's VA doesn't make sense especially how awful the voice acting is.  If I recall, it was said that the same guy who voiced Richter also voiced Chris Redfield in RE1

Like Wiki, infromation on IMDB can be added by anybody with an IMDB account; it reminds me of the time when someone credited Leonardo Dicaprio in the BBC show Life on Mars.  The problem was that whoever added that information mistook the spliced fanmade clip as real.  The reference of Dicaprio in that show is no longer there.

Even though you can add information to both IMDB and Wiki, they both have employees who check the information and correct it if it's wrong. I have no problem believing anything on either of those websites because of it.

Anywho, Richter and Gopher, thats awesome
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:16:39 AM »
Even though you can add information to both IMDB and Wiki, they both have employees who check the information and correct it if it's wrong. I have no problem believing anything on either of those websites because of it.

Anywho, Richter and Gopher, thats awesome

That might be true, but it doesn't happen all the time since there are still information on both sites that are still wrong;  It is impossible for them (the moderators) to check every information on either sites to see if it is correct.

I checked the credits in SOTN and the name listed under cast is Michael G.  

That can be just about anyone whose first name is Michael and whose surname starts with the letter G.

I also checked the guy's official website and Castlevania ISN'T listed under his Voice credits:

http://michaelgough.com/

Here are some of the voices that Gough has done in the past.  See if they sound similar to Richter:

Johhny Sakai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNT4Dlt42X4&feature=related

Dan Smith Killer 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqaBEq041Ps&feature=related

Beckett from Vampire Bloodlines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtcLUdjo_54

Here is a clip of Richter as boss in SOTN - just in case someone thinks that evil Richter sounds like Beckett.  As you can tell, evil Richter doesn't sound like any of the characters in the above clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5tEauaRZn0

I think I am going to email Micahel Gough and ask him if he ever voiced Richter in Castlevania
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:02:32 AM by le052383 »

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:20:08 AM »
I guess it might be probable. His role as Gopher only started recently so.

ACcording to IMDB, he has been voicing the role since 1988

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »
Somebody claimed that Sypha's voice actress in Judgment is the same person who did the voice for Lighting in XIII but they sound nothing alike. Anyone care to explain that?      

Until there is a credible source (not wiki/imbd) posted here, it might be just a rumor; wiki lists the voice actress of Lightning as Sypha, but there is a uncredited citation, as well as citations needed next to the name.  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:44:54 AM by le052383 »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
I consider 1988 to be pretty recent when it comes to Disney voice overs. ;_;
But you may be right about it not being Gough.

Ah, but actually, this mysterious Michael G. seemed to have also voiced Harry Mason who also isn't in the credits list. And according to http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198641-silent-hill/45383866 Michael Gough even denied he was Michael G. in this email. I mean it's GameFaqs but it kinda adds to your suspicion that they aren't the same. Plus the whole Gough's other acting being far superior to this Michael G.
So, I guess they aren't the same.

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
I checked the history on wiki and am now certain that Michael G. IS NOT Michael Gough.  Seems that there were a few revisions on wiki where ppl stated that Gough isn't Michael G.

AS I have said before, the voice actors in videogames during the mid 90s where most likely americans living in Japan, not necessaily professional actors.  Apparently, the person who removed the wikipedia credits of Harry Mason (main protagonist in Silent Hill,) forgot to remove Richter Belmont.  Regardless, I emailed Gough if he voiced Richter, which I am certain he hasn't.

Someone on the interweb assumed that because the voice actor for the konami games during the '90s is named Michael G., he has to be Michael G0ugh.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:36:39 AM by le052383 »

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 10:28:53 AM »
I consider 1988 to be pretty recent when it comes to Disney voice overs. ;_;
But you may be right about it not being Gough.

Ah, but actually, this mysterious Michael G. seemed to have also voiced Harry Mason who also isn't in the credits list. And according to http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198641-silent-hill/45383866 Michael Gough even denied he was Michael G. in this email. I mean it's GameFaqs but it kinda adds to your suspicion that they aren't the same. Plus the whole Gough's other acting being far superior to this Michael G.
So, I guess they aren't the same.

Thanks.  I didn't know there was talk of this on gamefaqs.  I also emailed Gough and will post a screen capture of my email when I get a reply.

It doesn't seem logical for me that Konami would hire a professional va for one char, but hire a bunch of amatures for the other chars in the same game.  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:31:24 AM by le052383 »

Tags:

anything