Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What exactly IS the Vampire Killer?  (Read 19259 times)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 04:38:58 PM »
Soleiyu is just...
...using a different whip.

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: What exactly IS the Vampire Killer?
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
Soleiyu is just...
...using a different whip.

I agree but hey....A different whip is definitely another whip, which means/prooves the existence of many whips and not only VAMPIRE KILLER.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 04:57:33 PM »
Well, it's not like LoI dismisses the existence of other whips. I mean in PoR, Jonathan had Vampire Killer along with a ton of other whips.
It's more like the Belmont clan is skilled with whips, but only the most skilled of the clan can receive the heirloom of the Vampire Killer. Don't ask me why Jonathan can use it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:01:33 PM by thernz »

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 05:02:57 PM »
Well, it's not like LoI dismisses the existence of other whips. I mean in PoR, Jonathan had Vampire Killer along with a ton of other whips.

Well done ! I have been waiting for this Portrait of Ruin argument.

It's a matter of fact that Igarashi storylines are non-sense with plenty timeline errors and other stupid plots. The Vampire Killer as a weapon supposed to KILL THE NIGHT is one of it.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »
Quote from: Innovator
Yo

sup.

How can you explain both Christopher and Soleiyu fight each other with a whip ? Both are using the Vampire Killer, maybe ? What's the hell....

Like Alan said, he's just using another whip. Maybe Belmont younglings train with makeshift whips until they're old enough to wield the VK. Has that ever occured to you?

Just play old games, and you'll see that the Belmonts are using many whips during their journeys to Dracula : Chain Whip, Leather Whip, MorningStar, Flame Whip, etc etc....

The chain/leather whip can be argued to be one and the same. It changes through the power of magic infused in it, that's why we see variations such as it having flames, etc.

And the Belmont's main weapon has been called the Mystic Whip so many times...

It's also called "The Holy Whip" in OoE. It's still the same weapon.

Belmont's ability is to fight with whips, just think a little more, for one time.

They can use other whips, but their main whip is the Vampire Killer. Always has been, always will be.

All the Igarashi's LOI' Vampire Killer story is a stupid plot for kids. Definitely.

You're right. Legends had a much better explanation.

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »
You're right. Legends had a much better explanation.

Thanks for this answer, Crisis.

About this last point : WHO needs an explanation ? It's a fantastical story with many impossible events : vampires, magical creatures and weapons, jumps every seconds without taking breath.....

It's a video game.

So ? Legends just explains that a teen woman is going to free her people from Dracula, fighting with a whip after having learn whip arts from her grandfather. How great. Who cares the scenario of a video game ? If you want a great tale, I suggest you to read tales or novels. Not to play video games.

Sara's story is inconsistent and ebony stones and crimson stones making supernatural vampires/whips are just stories for kids, that's what I think.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »
Well, I think Sonia learning the whip arts from her grandfather to fight for justice is a story just for kids (so children's superhero show)! What do you think about that?!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »
Thanks for this answer, Crisis.

:-*

About this last point : WHO needs an explanation ? It's a fantastical story with many impossible events : vampires, magical creatures and weapons, jumps every seconds without taking breath.....

If there wasn't an explanation, then we'd be reading countless "where did the Belmont whip come from" topics

It's a video game.

It is, so why do you get mad when people say CASTLEVANIA 64?

So ? Legends just explains that a teen woman is going to free her people from Dracula, fighting with a whip after having learn whip arts from her grandfather. How great. Who cares the scenario of a video game ? If you want a great tale, I suggest you to read tales or novels. Not to play video games.

WE care. And you do too, if you didn't then you wouldn't be talking about it right now, or ever.

Sara's story is inconsistent and ebony stones and crimson stones making supernatural vampires/whips are just stories for kids, that's what I think.

To each his own

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:39:59 PM by Crisis »

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 05:30:57 PM »
Well, I think Sonia learning the whip arts from her grandfather to fight for justice is a story just for kids (so children's superhero show)! What do you think about that?!

You're perfectly RIGHT.

Rather simple storyline which fits perfectly to Castlevania.

Castlevania is not Final Fantasy, Xenogears or Metal Gear. Just play THESE games if you want a story for everything.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
Rather simple storyline which fits perfectly to Castlevania.

It's not the 90s anymore. People expect more than a "simple story."

Castlevania is not Final Fantasy, Xenogears or Metal Gear. Just play THESE games if you want a story for everything.

A game doesn't have to be an RPG to have good gameplay, graphics, story, etc.

Did you know Hideo Kojima is involved with LoS?

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
Yeah, LoS is going to be the heaviest on story Castlevania ever has been. I don't see why you're not hating on that more than IGA's, to be frank, simple and mostly absent storytelling.
Seriously. In LoS, there's a monologue before every stage. I wouldn't really mind LoS's story if it didn't seem like it will be as heavy-handed as it currently is with all those cutscenes, especially when they seem to just be ways to advance Gabriel through a level instead of letting the player walk Gabriel there. Of course, this is mostly based on my impressions from the demo and that gameplay video with the fetch quest.

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »
Did you know Hideo Kojima is involved with LoS?

Oh really ?

8)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »
Of course, this is mostly based on my impressions from the demo and that gameplay video with the fetch quest.

There's a demo now?  I need more information!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 12:15:27 PM »
I meant the one shown at E3. Sorry. ; - ;

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »
Oh, OKAY!
I was excited, for a moment. :O
Thanks for the clarification.

Not that I can do anything about it.  PS3's in an uproar over this Jailbreak thing and there's updates to the PSP firmware that I don't feel like doing right now.  Wouldn't be able to download anything right now anyway.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags:

anything