Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Ever wanted to own "Castlevania IV" uncensored?  (Read 14874 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Ever wanted to own "Castlevania IV" uncensored?
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:46:57 PM »
OK, probably everyone who wants to already does, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

At Otaku.com, there's a copy of the SFC game available for $15. Fifteen buckeroos!

http://www.otaku.com/cgi-bin/itemview.asp?itemid=55339a

Shipping to the US is $10 for the first item, so that's a $25 purchase there for the game alone. That's pretty cheap—cheaper than eBay, I think. And it comes with the box and manual. (I think I paid maybe $40 for all that, plus shipping.)

So who's gonna take this home? Eh? EH??? All you need to do to play SFC games on a US SNES is use a Game Genie, or pull out the plastic tabs that prevent SFC carts from being plugged in. (It's easy to do. I used a needle nose pliers and twisted the little bastards off.)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Draculas Curse

Re: Ever wanted to own "Castlevania IV" uncensored?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
Just wondering what was censored on this game? I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said nudity and blood. I remember SNES used to censor blood, them doing that on Mortal Kombat pissed people off. I am guessing the nudity on CV4 was Medusa?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 03:57:50 AM »
No, Medusa was unaltered. It's the statues in the trick manor that had poorly-drawn clothes placed on them.

The dungeon stage has blood pools and blood dripping from the ceiling instead of green slime or whatever.

There's some religion imagery that was erased in the US version.

The name on Dracula's tombstone was omitted in the US, 'cos it said "Dracura." (Why they didn't just alter the second R to an L, I don't know. Instead they just scrambled the pixels.)

The chain whip sounds different and more chain-like.

The logo is waaaaay cooler. Plus it has blood dripping off it on the title screen complete with "blood drop landing in blood pool" sound effect.

The status text was altered in the US for whatever reason. The font and coloring melds with the game's graphics much better in the Japanese version.

Aaaand I think that's just about everything (that I can think of right now).
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:34:56 AM »
I never really cared about the stuff that was changed, in fact I actually like the green slime in the dungeon better than the red. The only thing I want is to play reagarding super cv 4 is that beta, so I can battle through a barn and through a room!

If only someone had that to make a rom... That's my dream
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »
I remember hearing that the Japanese version doesn't have a lot of the slowdown the American one does. Is that true?

Offline Thunderbrand

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 10:39:40 AM »
Not to ask a dumb question but I'm a bit confused---do they have many copies of this in stock or is it just 1 copy?
*I'm not a newbie...I had several hundred posts with this screenname on the old board*

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »
I remember hearing that the Japanese version doesn't have a lot of the slowdown the American one does. Is that true?

It's true. There's more ram in the japanese cart giving the game speed to never slow down at the sections we're all familiar with. I already have this game on my computer emulator so I don't need to worry about perchasing it. But Abnormal Freak is right about all the stuff they cut out in the US release. You'd think they'd learn to F**k off every once in a while (I likes my naked statues)  8)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:26:32 PM »
It's just one copy.

And, uh...I don't recall the Japanese game being void of slowdown. I'd have to play it again, but I'm pretty sure parts like the spinning room still went super slow.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »
Pretty sure the there is slow down in the original. At least with an emulator, it says I get a constant 60 fps (so it has nothing to do with my computer) but it still slows down at the two headed dragon a bit, in the spinning corridor, and those guys in the cave that break into smaller pieces.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline csgx1

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »
Interesting, I didn't realize that there were that many differences even though they're minor.

It's possible to add two or more copies to the shopping cart, which is why I think the question of them having multiple copies for sale was asked.  Seems like a decent price and if there is only one copy in stock, I'm a little surprised that no one bought it yet. 

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 05:08:46 PM »
I'm honestly surprised no one made a US version with the changes reverted, or a Japanese version with translated text.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »
The localization changes weren't as drastic as say Dracula's Curse, and didn't warrant a translation nearly as much.

Offline Thunderbrand

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »
If it's just 1 copy then a friend of mine snagged it. It ships to him tomorrow.
*I'm not a newbie...I had several hundred posts with this screenname on the old board*

Offline Thunderbrand

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »
Also, if it's just 1 copy then why is it listed as In Stock if it was already purchased?

Oh well, I put an order in anyway and it accepted it. So either they have multiple copies or I just wont get one.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:00:32 PM by Thunderbrand »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »
I'm honestly surprised no one made a US version with the changes reverted, or a Japanese version with translated text.

From what I recall, Super Castlevania IV and Akumajo Dracula SFC use some kind of funkatronic compression algorithm that makes it hard to hack either one of the games.  It's, from what I hear, the reason why there just aren't that many hacks of that particular game.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: