Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Will Soma ever be back?  (Read 46922 times)

Offline crims0nf0rtune

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Will Soma ever be back?
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »
I was thinking maybe you could play as a Belmont during the period they lost the whip.  No one really knows what happened to the family during this period and it could fill in kind of a huge gap in the storyline.

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
Why thank you, but I fear such a game will be too good that Konami will hurl a C&D letter at us. ;_;

While I agree that the franchise needs a new Belmont-centric game badly, I'd prefer if they don't make a stereotypical Belmont. (i.e. have Vampire Killer, dutifully kills Dracula, on the side of absolute good, etc.)

While I don't exactly know the better alternative, a Belmont who wishes to deny his heritage might be good. (denial -> reluctance -> acceptance -> conflict -> triumph)

It is a Fan game. The way I see it, if no money whatsoever is exchanged, and it is placed in a totally free medium, Konami can't throw a C&D letter at us. Why would they? This is a -fan game-. That means no money at all will be spent on it and, it attracts attention to their classic castlevania games. They benefit more from -not- sending us a C&D. Though I do have 10 lawyers on speed dial on my phone.

Regarding a Belmont denying his heritage, I would counter with the idea that what if a belmont did not KNOW her heritage? A belmont that didn't know they were a belmont and found themselves sucked into draculas yawning vortex of evilly darkly black and deadly deadliness of maliciously evil evilness?
Nani?! An animu site with no hentai? Blaaasphemy!
Burn the witch in the name of LoL!

-Lulzy Lulzerton Esq, wizard of ounces

Offline JiPrime

• A Passing-by CV fan ;)
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »
I just realized, while there are many people who want companies to stop rehashing old franchises,

here we are, in this thread, discussing how to extend the franchise for the next decade or so. LOL.

Offline JiPrime

• A Passing-by CV fan ;)
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »
It is a Fan game. The way I see it, if no money whatsoever is exchanged, and it is placed in a totally free medium, Konami can't throw a C&D letter at us. Why would they? This is a -fan game-. That means no money at all will be spent on it and, it attracts attention to their classic castlevania games. They benefit more from -not- sending us a C&D. Though I do have 10 lawyers on speed dial on my phone.

Let's say we release a Metroidvania fan-game on a 3DS homebrew.

And it's actually as fun as the last three Metroidvanias.

And IGA finds out about this game, realizes that it is on par with the next game they are working on.

The official dev team will be under pressure to produce a game that is at the very least, better than ours.

And everyone does not like extra workloads.

If I was in charge of Konami, I would find whatever means necessary to take that game down.

Or take the Valve approach and quickly hire the fan-game developers under my dev team. (But this won't likely happen.)

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »
If your certain that your against the idea and don't want to do it its fine, I just wanted to tell you that I was open to doing something like that and was serious about it.

Well soma may not be back as a final boss after all.

Offline JiPrime

• A Passing-by CV fan ;)
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
If your certain that your against the idea and don't want to do it its fine, I just wanted to tell you that I was open to doing something like that and was serious about it.

Well soma may not be back as a final boss after all.

Who said I was against the idea.

I want to do it SO BAD. ;_;

But enough of this, back to topic.

Out of curiousity, why do you Soma-haters hate Soma so much?

I'm not trying to pull an aggro here or anything.

I'm just curious. :3

Offline crims0nf0rtune

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2011, 07:32:35 PM »
I don't hate him, I just think there are much better and more important things to focus on in the CV games to come.  Soma had 2 games, I think his story has been told and the focus of the series should go to some of the more obscure periods not yet covered.

Offline Grim_Creeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
I got confused for a moment regarding your feelings on it, I posted that before I saw the message. Sent you a reply by the way.

Back on topic.

I'm not against soma, but I do not care for androgynous men characters. I grew up in the 80s and as a kid my favorite cartoons were GI Joe, He Man, Captain N, and Thundercats. And Ultura-Man-ooooo! Who can forget ultraman.

I think part of the reason I suddenly became interested in your game is because its sort of a way for me to 'write him out' of the storyline.

I also think that some of the more obscure periods would clearly work as settings, crims0n.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »
I could care less if they make another Soma game.  IMO the Belmonts need to come back into the spotlight, this time with actual story and character development.  The thing about most of the Belmonts is that I feel I know nothing about them other then they're the next Belmont....  I'm really starting to get sick of all these side characters being the focus of the series.

I feel the exact same way!!! I don't mind side characters but Belmonts should be the main focus. Give me more Belmont please!

Offline crims0nf0rtune

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »
I'm glad some people agree with me.  Hopefully the higher ups at Konami aren't too ignorant and decide to give the fans what they want

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »

Julius is bit too old to be a main character, imo.

Theres no such thing as a Belmont being too old. Ever play julius mode in Aria? or just plain fight him? Even after so many years of amnesia, he was STILL able to fight Soma with all his abilities and powers, and that was holding back. He lost to Soma because he wasnt fighting to kill.

In any case, he is awesome BECAUSE he is a middle aged man. With an awesome beard. He breaks the tradition of pretty boy bishounens.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline JiPrime

• A Passing-by CV fan ;)
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2011, 10:02:14 PM »
EDIT: Nevermind. There is no way that this post will not start a flame war.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:04:31 PM by JiPrime »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2011, 01:07:39 AM »
our beloved soma makes an appearance in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6KCSmyWdbY&feature=player_embedded

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 02:03:31 AM »
Now I'm curious as to what system that game's for.

I'm not against soma, but I do not care for androgynous men characters

I'm also not a real fan of those types either. I much preferred Soma's DoS look over his Emo/androgynous AoS look. If I were Dracula reincarnated, I wouldn't be caught undead or alive wearing the AoS look. The only time in AoS where Soma looked cool was after he had become Dracula before setting out to defeat chaos. That look was cool. It is unfortunate that it had the opposite effect in DoS. That version didn't look as cool and I don't believe it had anything to do with the art style either. I just think the artist didn't put in the effort to making Soma's Dracula transformation look as good as Ayami did.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »
For me, Dawn of Sorrow has better bosses on the whole, and a much better extra mode, but aside from those features, I can't think of anything I liked better at all.  Heck, I even think the graphics of Aria of Sorrow look considerably nicer.  Collectively, the environments are simply more interesting in concept and execution.  I guess that's all beside the point, given the topic, but unfortunately, that game didn't have any saving grace for me.  I even think Curse of Darkness and Lament of Innocence have great to excellent soundtracks, nice cut scenes, and intriguing characters, despite them basically sucking, in my opinion, but with DoS, it's like one bad thing piled on top of another without enough good to make me think any remotely fond thoughts about it . . . likewise with Portrait of Ruin, for whatever that's worth.

Well, I didn't like Aria of Sorrow that much. I can't really put my finger on it, but I felt Dawn improved just about everything (except the story, artwork and music. Which may sound like a whole lotta things, but I honestly don't think the story is any good in any of the Castlevania games, so it's not such a big deal for me. Also, I know literally nothing about anime so the artstyle didn't bother me either. I noticed it looked a little less "serious" and more japanese, that's all. I definitely prefer Ayami Kojima, but artwork doesn't make or break a game for me.

Now, the one thing I really loved in Aria was the music, so Dawn was kinda disappointing for me in that respect. Throughout the years I've learnt to like the music in DoS though, but it's far from a series hightlight IMO.

Anyway, most people seem to prefer Aria so I can't really argue with that. I just wholeheartedly disagree 100% :D As for Curse and Lament... not my cup of tea. Though Curse has excellent music!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:20:29 AM by shelverton. »

Tags:

anything