Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: WayForward wants to make a 2D Castlevania game  (Read 24098 times)

Offline RegalSin

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: WayForward wants to make a 2D Castlevania game
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 11:15:03 PM »
Well Wayfoward already made a "CV" game with one of their licensee". They probably feel with the engine they already have, they could expand upon it. Kinda cheaply saying, can we make a game, we know is going to sell well. I have that dream too, of making such a game, as well.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 01:15:47 AM »
Alucard as the main character, prequel to Symphony of the Night. Or how about a sequel to Order of Ecclesia?

How about all of the above???
That would make my mothereffin' Xmas!!!  ;D
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 01:18:26 AM »
+1
All we want is a SotN clone, with Alucard playable, resused sprites, and Medusa heads.

:rollseyes:

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 02:32:55 AM »
All we want is a SotN clone, with Alucard playable, resused sprites, and Medusa heads.

Well, you know, you can always play SotN again since I doubt developers will go after that route.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 03:07:13 AM »
Well, you know, you can always play SotN again since I doubt developers will go after that route.
/sarcasm

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 04:44:54 AM »
+1
Aside from the awful level design, nothing really.

Yeah, I'm with theplotwist on this one. The level design is good, I don't see the qualms about the flat level design. On hard mode, the flatness of the forest level makes sense - you're constantly jumping and backflipping due to the flying skeletons that try to pummel you. Same with the topside parts of the mountain stages, since you're going to be leaping across the trees due to the instant-poisoning spiders sprinting across the ground. Granted, it's a shame that you have to play hard mode just to see the significance of the level design, but oh well.

Also it's not like CotM had an entire area that was quite literally a single long hallway with the exact same two enemies, a curiously explosive ox and demon, repeating constantly (why did half of CotM's enemies blow up like a WWII bomber is beyond me, I always laugh when that happens. Still I love it despite that.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:42:36 AM by beingthehero »

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 06:05:11 AM »
+1

To be fair, OoE dramatically reduced the use of sprites from SCIV/Rondo/SotN and added in a shit-ton of fluidly animated, brand spanking new sprites. Adventure Rebirth did the same as well, albeit reusing a bunch of a SotN's backgrounds (hgnghgh).

As for HoDespair, well...it is what it is.

Point is i'd still enjoy another 2D Castlevania by IGA as long as the reused stuff is kept to a minimum. And at the very least, there's still The Soul of Dracula if I want to play a psuedo-sequel to Super Castlevania IV and the upcoming Odallus: The Dark Call if I want another Metroidvania.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 06:30:17 AM »
Aside from the awful level design, nothing really.
I never really understood your aversion to OoE's level design. As far as I'm concerned, it inherited the solid level layouts of every Metroidvania game before it. The game's first half took more of a linear, "travel"-like approach, but nothing otherwise struck me as particularly jarring or different.

It tried to be a modern day Simon's Quest but suffered from the same design problem, in that every encounter needed to be easily accessible from both sides due to the need for backtracking. This led to a lot of "floaty" enemies and "wall" enemies, and not a lot of laid out encounters like something you'd see in any of the Classicvanias or memorable rooms like Symphony of the Night.
That comes with Metroidvania territory. The entire genre insists heavily on backtracking, so it definitely isn't OoE-specific.

It also had its fair share of reused rooms as well. I particularly remembering one mountain level using the same bridge room at least three times.
That's actually true. Entire areas, let alone rooms, were reused, but I assumed it was intentional. Every outdoor area in the game has its duplicate, only with different color schemes and mild design differences.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 06:42:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm with theplotwist on this one. The level design is good, I don't see the qualms about the flat level design. On hard mode, the flatness of the forest level makes sense - you're constantly jumping and backflipping due to the flying skeletons that try to pummel you. Same with the topside parts of the mountain stages, since you're going to be leaping across the trees due to the instant-poisoning spiders sprinting across the ground. Granted, it's a shame that you have to play hard mode just to see the significance of the level design, but oh well.

I'll agree to disagree, then. I really don't feel like going into all of this again. It's not like anyone is going to change their minds.

But to reiterate, my faults with the level design are not why I wouldn't want to a see a sequel. Timeline-wise I think it would be a waste of an entry when there are far more important games that need to get made.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 06:44:55 AM »
+1
No I WILL MAKE YOU A CLONE OF ME, BRRRROTHER!

But I do agree that OoE doesn't lend itself to a sequel. The ending more or less said that Ecclesia disappeared from all history books. I guess some people would want closure in regards to Shanoa, but I guess it's satisfying enough that she went her own way...

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 10:14:48 PM »
No I WILL MAKE YOU A CLONE OF ME, BRRRROTHER!

But I do agree that OoE doesn't lend itself to a sequel. The ending more or less said that Ecclesia disappeared from all history books. I guess some people would want closure in regards to Shanoa, but I guess it's satisfying enough that she went her own way...

Unless Shanoa went back to Wygol village and fell into the wondrous gaze of the photographer guy, and spawned the next Belmont Baby ;)

Nah OOE, much as I love it needs to be a one-off. Presumably no Barlowe = no Ecclesia, there's no real need for a sequel as well due to Albus' demise.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Unless Shanoa went back to Wygol village and fell into the wondrous gaze of the photographer guy, and spawned the next Belmont Baby ;)

I doubt it. He had eyes for Laura the Jeweler. And why not? That was a really good-looking woman! Ouch! If anything it's that potion salesman you collect ingredients for that has a slight interest in Shanoa. But here's the thing I don't get about OoE. Supposedly in the story Albus mentions that all 13 of the Belmont descendants were drawn there. If that's the case then there should be a Mr. or Miss Belmont there too. But there isn't so not all of the Belmont descendants came to Wygol.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
Maybe it was whoever married into the Morris and Lecarde family who wasn't present.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »
I'm not against 2.5D if they can make it all feel right and look good.

I would love to see brand new sprites altogether but I know there is no chance in hell of that happening since 2D is too expensive these days for whatever reason.

Heck, sprites with 3D backgrounds would be neat. I always loved games with that look.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 05:35:12 PM »
Maybe it was whoever married into the Morris and Lecarde family who wasn't present.
One of the old IGA timelines(that came in, I believe, the Japanese LoI guide) said that the Morris clan branched out from the Belmonts after Trevor, but before Christopher. Since I first saw that, I tend to think Trevor had a daughter(and a son) and the son continued the Belmont line, but the daughter married into the Morris clan, and gave birth to the Belmont blooded-Morrises.

Tags: