Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV1&2 - NES Classic Ed.  (Read 28131 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2016, 10:44:47 PM »
What do you mean? The world totally needed another plug'n play with Pac Man and Galaga.
I have and have sometimes played Ghosts'n Goblins on the NES but I'm not sure who it would really appeal to these days other than the extremely nostalgic. Considering you can play the much-better-looking arcade original now. If you're gonna be a masochist at least have something nice to look at right? Gorgoyle's Quest 2, now that would've been an interesting choice.

I was kinda thinking that too. Same with Simon's Quest. I dunno who the game will really appeal to nowadays with its obvious and intentional lack of direction (not to mention the blatant deception in direction). CV3 is another more straight-forward action game, but unlike CV1, the multiple stage paths, playable characters, and alternate endings might have appealed more to the modern gamers who are used to more options.

I'm just salty about no CV3.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2016, 02:32:50 AM »
maybe there will be another nes plug in box thingy in the future? or snes?

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2016, 03:56:04 AM »
+1
I'm just salty about no CV3.

Less than a year ago I had never once heard someone refer to themselves or anyone else as being "salty".

Now it seems that everyone and even my wife are saying this.

Where was I when everyone decided to start calling eachother minerals?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:26:51 AM by Belmontoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 09:51:21 AM »
I've never heard the term used in such a way either. Maybe I'm just getting old, lol.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
I'm one of those "newfangled younguns" who has been hearing the word salty be used as an adjective for quite a while.  Maybe its due to a combination of Twitch chats and hanging out with my local fgc.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »
For a second I was baffled at the inclusion of Simon's Quest* over Dracula's Curse but then it was obvious. If the Atari 2600 throwback consoles from the last decade are any indication, some high profile games were purposefully left out so that Nintendo could include them in future iterations of this system. If this one sells, and I expect it will, expect to see an NES classic 2 and 3 in stores in the coming years. Dracula's Curse will probably be on one of them, along with some significant but not overwhelming overlap from this release.

*I like it and it's a fine game for its time don't get me wrong. Probably even a little underrated these days. But the 3rd game is so much better and it's obvious which has more mass appeal.

The thought crossed my mind as well. If they do make another one in the future, it'd probably be even more third party stuff, since Nintendo put their best first party games on here. CV3, MM3 or 1, Ninja Gaiden 2 and or 3, Dragon Warrior, Contra 1, Double Dragon 1 etc. I'd personally love to see some more obscure games like Guardian Legend on a new one

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »
I only heard "salty" in relation to magic the gathering but now I hear it everywhere. I think someone said its a more northern phrase? I guess its picking up traction everywhere else

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2016, 05:26:24 PM »
Less than a year ago I had never once heard someone refer to themselves or anyone else as being "salty".

Now it seems that everyone and even my wife are saying this.

Where was I when everyone decided to start calling eachother minerals?

I have actually no clue where I got it from or why I started saying it.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2016, 05:55:15 PM »
I have actually no clue where I got it from or why I started saying it.

I started seeing it used about 2 years ago. It's handy because it can have a mix of meanings but the primary implication in the usage that I've seen is that someone is angry/bitter/envious over something someone else did or possesses. It's also useful online because there's so many different salt-related images to be found or make.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 02:44:14 AM »
I thought salty was pirate speak?

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 07:15:56 AM »

"Salty" is a term to refer to someone angry and is very old, but it became popular recently thanks to the fighting game community.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:34:20 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 09:45:50 AM »

As in "Salty dog"? Yeah I've heard that one. It refers to a Cocktale drink or an experienced sailor.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
I've heard it ever since Smash 4 became mainstream, weird.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »
It's a term "salty" to refer to someone angry is very old, but it became popular recently thanks to the fighting game community.
^^This^^

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2016, 07:36:46 PM »
Now that you mention it, I remember the band Flogging Molly used the term in this old timey pirate themed ditty. Although I always assumed "Salty" in this instance meant surly.

Tags: 191933087b 

anything