Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Where do you think the Belmonts lived?  (Read 11007 times)

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:17:41 PM »
They were outcasts pre-Dracula's Curse so either they settled somewhere remote or they were nomads and lived off wherever they wandered.

But what about afterward? Did they live among the people who shunned them or did they continue to live apart from them and show up as needed? Could they even have had a whole village to themselves ala Wygol? Some thoughts would be nice.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Where do you think the Belmonts lived?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 12:22:52 AM »
They were outcasts pre-Dracula's Curse so either they settled somewhere remote or they were nomads and lived off wherever they wandered.

But what about afterward? Did they live among the people who shunned them or did they continue to live apart from them and show up as needed? Could they even have had a whole village to themselves ala Wygol? Some thoughts would be nice.

IGA stated that, upon Simon's victory over Dracula, a village started to build around the Belmonts, and that Juste grew up on this environment, being respected by the people thanks to the Belmont name. So yes, this could suggest that there was indeed a village formed with the intent to be next to the Belmonts due to respect and as their protectors.

However, previous to Juste and Simon, there's already the idea that the Belmonts are living amongst the people just fine. Christopher's legend already existed amongst the people by the time of Simon, for instance. Yet, Simon's story says that, until his victories, the people were not very friendly to the Belmonts at all, which is a strange thing considering they have saved the world three times now AND Christopher's got his own bitchin' legend. This could be a contradiction, OR could mean that the people forgot what the Belmonts did for them (which makes sense if you consider that, by Simon's time, Dracula's legacy is treated as merely a legend).

Simon's/Juste's story above may also mean that they started spreading their influence around. By Rondo's time, Maria and Annette live in the same town (Aljiba). Maria is distantly related to the Belmonts and is the daughter of aristocrats. While we don't know if Richter lived on Aljiba, this could mean that the village that formed around the Belmonts previously increased their local influence by quite a bit, with Belmont offshoots also spreading everywhere and holding positions of elite.

During Nocturne of Recollection we learn that the Belmonts even have rival clans now, which could further show that their influence by Richter's time is wide enough for clans to compete. This is also demonstrated by Shaft's assertion that the Belmonts are the strongest vampire hunters -- he had to learn that from somewhere, and I'm betting this comes from word of mouth of the people.

So, I'd say that, after Trevor's time they started being more accepted by the people, but their exploits did not live long as facts, being soon relegated to folk tales. This made the people ungrateful, but they didn't outright shun the Belmonts until Simon went and kicked Dracula's ass so hard that the people had no choice but to hail the Belmonts as heroes and form an entire village around them.

EDIT: Welp, I removed one citation about Dracula's legend. I distinctly remember one version of it saying something but now that I went to check, I couldn't find it. If I do, I'll cite it again.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:04:19 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 12:29:48 AM »
One would assume that they lived in a remote village such as Wygol, away from the prying eyes of society after CVIII. Being that the Belmonts were known to hunt monsters and such, but they are feared by regular Wallachians, it makes sense that they'd choose somewhere others wouldn't necessarily be able to intrude on or see what they were doing. Also as shown in OOE, not all of them were warriors, there would have been other relatives/ descendants who had different expertise and contributed in different ways.

I'm certain the Japanese manuals would hold more information, particularly with the older games. For instance, CV1's manual in Japanese mentions a the previous hero "Christopher" being celebrated in the context of a town/village (not an exact quote, so don't quote me word-for-word), and Simon having gone to face Dracula. Therefore one could say that this place was the town where at least the Belmont's direct bloodline and heir to the VK resided.

It also just occurred to me that in the English version of SOTN (the second best ending) Richter says something to Maria like "Let's go, everyone's waiting for us". If this is an acceptable translation, then we can assume they come from the same place.
In truth we can probably assume this anyway, given that in Rondo's first stage, the town of Aljiba has been set on fire and the track playing is suitably named "Opposing Bloodlines". Being that the women and Maria were kidnapped from the town, it's somewhat safe to assume they all hail from the same approximate location. Just my two cents.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 03:45:04 AM »
Sweden.

No, I do not have a reason for this.

But Sweden.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
  • Bloodstained : Delay of the Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 04:29:31 AM »
Some remote Transylvanian place, guess.

Julius moved to Japan after 1999. Don't think an amnesic man can book a plane nor know anything about his real home.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 05:04:12 AM »
Some remote Transylvanian place, guess.

Julius moved to Japan after 1999. Don't think an amnesic man can book a plane nor know anything about his real home.

Or was he moved to Japan during his "memory loss" after leaving Castlevania victorious, via a third party knowing he would not recall his past?  (Arikado could have done this for example, and is the only person out of the Sorrow Series who would have been at the battle of 1999)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 06:25:26 AM »
IGA stated that, upon Simon's victory over Dracula, a village started to build around the Belmonts, and that Juste grew up on this environment, being respected by the people thanks to the Belmont name.
Hey plot, just curious, but where did Iga say this?  I've never seen it.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »
Or was he moved to Japan during his "memory loss" after leaving Castlevania victorious, via a third party knowing he would not recall his past?  (Arikado could have done this for example, and is the only person out of the Sorrow Series who would have been at the battle of 1999)

I dunno much. It might be, like how Soma drifted away in AoS, Julius might have drifet away, spawned in different place and didn't have any chance of meeting any of 1999 participants until AoS.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 07:12:26 AM »
Hey plot, just curious, but where did Iga say this?  I've never seen it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090402012951/http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=77052

IGA has said that more than once, too.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 07:39:01 AM »
A village named Belmont.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 07:39:43 AM »
I wonder how many of them lived in the mountains.

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »

Well, they made a whole goddamn village by Juste's time and in Rondo intro they seem pretty populated.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 04:28:31 PM »
They lived in Persia, obviously.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »
IGA has said that more than once, too.

Interesting. I never knew about this either. Would've been cool to have playable Richter in the SOTN sequel and this Belmont village as a location. A proto-Wygol of sorts.

Given plot's link, it could well have been a mountain village away from the larger Wallachia.

In DXC, Iris sounded pretty surprised at Richter being from the Belmont clan ("Belmont? Of THE Belmont clan?" or something). Almost like they were being regarded as a myth even in that era.  That's how I got the impression that they were living away from the rest of the populace but were always at the ready for monster threats.

Tags:

anything