Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed  (Read 192152 times)

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed
« Reply #300 on: July 08, 2017, 05:52:27 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Rewatched Episode 1. I don't know if it's just me, but can anyone confirm if
(click to show/hide)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: July 08, 2017, 07:28:03 AM »
+3
Not very impressed...

The TL;DR breakdown:

Animation: B
Inconsistent. Alucard fight was great. Color palette is never vibrant, which seems to be intentional, but without mixing it up ever it ends up feeling like the location never changes. Effects animation like the Dracula fire head were great.

Sound Design: C-
Borderline awful composition of sound effects. Mastering IS awful. So bad you can't even hear some speakers.

Music: F
So unforgettable I almost forgot it had it. Didn't Identify any game tunes or snippets. Strange since Castlevania is in part legendary for it's music. Huge missed opportunity.

Story: C
Wow, did Warren ever phone this one in. Lines are stilted and literally basic exposition constructions. Half the entire screenplay to me felt like: "I MUST MENTION THIS THING BECAUSE I HAVE TO. BUT THE NEXT GUY MAY NOT EVEN REPLY BACK TO IT BUT INSTEAD GO ALONG TO THE NEXT LINE AND TOPIC. I DON'T TALK LIKE A HUMAN WOULD."

Trevor's motivation and attitude are inconsistent feeling. The shallow attempts at humor are both not funny, and executed extremely poor.

Voice acting feels phoned in by a good number of the cast. Stilted and unenthusiastic delivery for way more lines than acceptable. It wasn't all the time but far more than it should have been. This may be part of the reason I don't like Trevor in this show. He doesn't care, and his voice actor cares even less at times, making Trevor seem to care about nothing ever.

Changes to elements of the canon and CV3 story that already had explanations, often better ones, REALLY grated on me. For example: What the hell is a Speaker? Nonsense, that's what. You don't need to invent a faction for Sypha. She already has a better back story as basically the Suicide Squad for the church. A change for the worst. The whole mini keep under the town and the future prophesy thing also was a contrived and stupid change. At that point it was just trying to be overly clever and had little entertainment or narrative value.

The lack of balance in sides presented. The bottom line of this story has been basically a circle jerk of "Atheism good, God BAD!!" There is no balance. The church is bad, Trevor doesn't care, Sypha doesn't care, Dracula is bad (as he should be), Lisa is a staunch atheist roll model, etc. I think it is safe to presume Warren probably never played CV3. You know, the game that opens with Trevor PRAYING at the cross. A world in which crosses have POWER over the undead. It is completely unrepresented here. A huge oversight of the tone of the game and world. Lecarde Chronicles 2 had a fantastic representation of the dark ages horror with faith mixed in.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:32:11 AM by uzo »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: July 08, 2017, 07:43:17 AM »
+4
P.S.

The whole Lisa part of the story was laid out so wrong. By the time you got to her burning at the stake there was no emotional impact. There was nothing built up for us to care about. That may not be possible in the time they had, but even a small montage of her and Dracula's life together, the birth of Alucard, her interactions with Alucard. Any of that would have helped. But what is most missing here, and so very important because we did not have the time necessary to build that attachment with the viewer, is an emotional proxy at the burning scene. WHERE was Alucard?! Why was he not there to hear his mother's last words? A huge mistake. Leaving the entire scene lifeless, and emotionally dry. Dracula doesn't even get to see it happen. He just kinda showed up after she was already ash. It could have been a great moment to SHOW Dracula is capable of sadness as he witnesses the last moments of his wife's life, instead of RAWR ME BAD, YOU KILL WIFE, NOW I KILL YOU! EXCEPT I WONT HARM A SINGLE ONE OF YOU RIGHT NOW! I WILL WAIT A YEAR!

Why didn't Dracula at least slaughter everyone in that room brutally? I get it, he needed an army for destroying the world. But if he was truly that angry, why didn't he at least start with the people in that room? He let the dude who orchestrated it all LIVE for a year or more? Makes no God damn sense if you want to believe Dracula as an actual character and not a giant plot device.

HELLO MY NAME IS DRACULA. I AM DOING WHAT I NEED TO DO BECAUSE PLOT. LISTEN TO MY EXPOSITION, THANK YOU. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!

Man, how about hire a writer who gives a shit about Castlevania and can actually string a decent adaptation together... We knew from the get go, from the old interviews, that Warren really doesn't give a shit about Castlevania, and the extent of his experience with the franchise story is about 10 minutes on Wikipedia. Even then, he should have still picked up on Sypha's backstory...

I bet he didn't even watch a play through of the game, let alone play it through himself.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM by uzo »

Offline HiT BiT

• 8-bit Belmont
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »
+1
I couldn't resist...
Warning: graphic spoiler of a particular scene of the 4th episode.
http://i.imgur.com/1HEb2ne.gif

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2017, 12:53:42 PM »
I get that some people don't like to see the church in a negative light... but let's be real here.  The medieval church was as evil as any evil that ever eviled.  To be honest the church in this series acted about exactly as the church probably would have, had such a scenario presented itself.  Burning innocent women as witches, excommunicating virtuous, even heroic individuals that don't fall in line with there teachings, violently persecuting religious minorities... that was a normal Friday night in those days, for the clergy.  I don't think this was a problem at all.  And they even make a point to show that there are good members of the clergy in episode 4.  Honestly if they had made the church into good guys, it would be equally historically inaccurate and offensive.  And whoever made the comment about atheism... please.  Presenting the medieval church in an accurate, if slightly exagerated light is hardly an argument for atheism.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:00:19 PM by AlexCalvo »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
+1
Story: C
Wow, did Warren ever phone this one in. Lines are stilted and literally basic exposition constructions. Half the entire screenplay to me felt like: "I MUST MENTION THIS THING BECAUSE I HAVE TO. BUT THE NEXT GUY MAY NOT EVEN REPLY BACK TO IT BUT INSTEAD GO ALONG TO THE NEXT LINE AND TOPIC. I DON'T TALK LIKE A HUMAN WOULD."

Trevor's motivation and attitude are inconsistent feeling. The shallow attempts at humor are both not funny, and executed extremely poor.

I watched this with the closed captions on.  That said, either I am going deaf or it seems like they removed a lot of lines from Trevor as the closed caption would have lines that isn't being heard from the audio.  Two of which I recall; one when Sypha tells Trevor her name and another when Alcuard tells Spyha and Trevor about a prophecy that they would band together to kill Dracula.  After Sypha tells Trevor her name, Trevor says something to the likes of "I don't care about your name".  As for the other scene, Trevor or Alucard utters something (I forgot) before saying "Hunter?" I recalled that not hearing it being spoke of made Trevor's comment of "Hunter?" seemed out of place.  There were other moments like this as well.

Because it seems like a lot of dialogue was removed, perhaps this is why the dialogue conversations in the series seems strange.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
i'll take "things that show up in my feed" for $666, alex

best review, clearly

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2017, 02:30:39 PM »
+1
P.S.

The whole Lisa part of the story was laid out so wrong. By the time you got to her burning at the stake there was no emotional impact. There was nothing built up for us to care about. That may not be possible in the time they had, but even a small montage of her and Dracula's life together, the birth of Alucard, her interactions with Alucard. Any of that would have helped. But what is most missing here, and so very important because we did not have the time necessary to build that attachment with the viewer, is an emotional proxy at the burning scene. WHERE was Alucard?! Why was he not there to hear his mother's last words? A huge mistake. Leaving the entire scene lifeless, and emotionally dry. Dracula doesn't even get to see it happen. He just kinda showed up after she was already ash. It could have been a great moment to SHOW Dracula is capable of sadness as he witnesses the last moments of his wife's life, instead of RAWR ME BAD, YOU KILL WIFE, NOW I KILL YOU! EXCEPT I WONT HARM A SINGLE ONE OF YOU RIGHT NOW! I WILL WAIT A YEAR!

Why didn't Dracula at least slaughter everyone in that room brutally? I get it, he needed an army for destroying the world. But if he was truly that angry, why didn't he at least start with the people in that room? He let the dude who orchestrated it all LIVE for a year or more? Makes no God damn sense if you want to believe Dracula as an actual character and not a giant plot device.

HELLO MY NAME IS DRACULA. I AM DOING WHAT I NEED TO DO BECAUSE PLOT. LISTEN TO MY EXPOSITION, THANK YOU. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!

I agree about the writing as it felt nonsensical at times.  Dracula has the power to easily kill all the villagers after Lisa's death.  Why did he need to raise an army especially when he was VERY PISSED OFF at that very moment?  Although I understand why Ellis threw in the idea of Dracula building up an army (the Castlevania games are littered with enemies), it would have made more sense for him to slaughter all the villagers to the point where he lost his way and the demons that appear years later.  The demons could be the manifestations of his anger or he probably brought them to Earth because he no longer have sympathy for humans and want them all killed for the death of his wife.

Aside from that, I felt the end season fight scene ended abruptly like the Superman/Batman fight scene from BvS.  Instead of "Who is Martha!?" ending the fight scene, it was the "prophecy!"  It was rather silly how Sypha and Trevor drank that up quickly without Trevor even questioning it despite him believing that Alcuard might be Dracula prior.  For those who never played CV3 or SOTN, I would imagine them being skeptical of Alcuard, thinking that he made the whole shit up as a trick to Sopha and Trevor despite the scene with Dracula scaring Alucard's chest.

Man, how about hire a writer who gives a shit about Castlevania and can actually string a decent adaptation together... We knew from the get go, from the old interviews, that Warren really doesn't give a shit about Castlevania, and the extent of his experience with the franchise story is about 10 minutes on Wikipedia. Even then, he should have still picked up on Sypha's backstory...

I bet he didn't even watch a play through of the game, let alone play it through himself.

I found it quite strange that Warren Ellis was an executive producer for the series as I too thought he had no love for the series and only written the script for it because it was a job (I checked an article on this afterwards and noticed that Ellis took the job because the animation wasn't for kids).  Maybe Ellis pulled "a Michael Bay" and fell in love with Castlevania because it had a large large fanbase or something.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:40:52 PM by le052383 »

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »
Watched it a second time, but since I wasn't on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next, didn't feel compelled to watch it in one setting this time again.  I still wanted to break it up into four parts, but am quite dissatisfied by episode endpoints.

So I watched it in four parts, divided by character introduction.  A Dracula part, Trevor part, Sypha part, and Alucard part, and found I liked taking breaks when the character focus shifted. 

Parts were broken up as follows:
(click to show/hide)

I wonder if I'll continue to rewatch the show using these breakpoints? 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:21:29 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2017, 02:00:59 AM »
Watched it in the JP dub. For Japanese practice reasons.
Before anyone complains why Oyakyu's (Alucard) role and Miki's (Richter) role were reversed, they did well as Trevor and Alucard, respectively. So, no problems for me.

My opinion of this is simply: the entire first season is a pilot. That's why we're getting season 2. Even the total air time roughly fits the typical pilot episode of a US TV series.

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2017, 11:49:41 AM »
+5
Favorite lines:

-Trevor: "Could you please leave my testicles alone?"
-Trevor: "I hope you all bleed out. Through your asses!
-Trevor: "A cyclops, straight out of the family bestiary. God shits in my dinner once again."
-Trevor: "Come on, you're dead! Stop and realize you're dead!
-Sypha: "I could pee in a bucket and tell him it's beer"
-Pazuzu: "Lies? In your house of God? No wonder he's abandoned you."
-Alucard: "Please. This isn't a bar fight. Have some class."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #311 on: July 09, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »

-Pazuzu:

look i know cv misuses pazuzu a shitton as it is but this boy ain't pazuzu

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: July 09, 2017, 12:22:10 PM »
+1
Castlevania fans be all...

https://youtu.be/YAw3Xr8r6TY

...lookin' for Pazuzu.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #313 on: July 09, 2017, 12:36:21 PM »
You know whatever that demon thing was supposed to be,  it vaguely reminded me of the Reaver from Mirror of Fate.  More so than anything else from the games.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: July 09, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »
That's a pretty good point!  I kind of see it now.  The mini Reavers were adorable.  I really liked Blue Fangs.  He was kind of loveable and squishy, and clearly had love in return for the Bishop.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Tags: