Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed  (Read 194944 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed
« Reply #330 on: July 11, 2017, 08:39:44 AM »
Because the depiction of the church as a misguided, self-justified savior while at the same time being responsible for instigating Dracula's wrath in the first place is an interesting plot point.

See, here is where I wanted to arrive. As Dracula9 already pointed out: You're allowed to like it because you think it is cool.

This is my criticism. The people here complaining of the portrayal of the Church are not alone. I've seen hundreds of them already, and every single time the same pattern takes place:

1. Person A complains of the Church's portrayal, because they think it'd be cool to not use the same tired cliche for the 47394th time.
2. Person B sweeps in. Corrects person A about how it is historically accurate and "therefore objectivelly superior".

This "therefore objectivelly superior" part is the problem: Something being historically accurate in FICTION doesn't make it automatically superior. And these people are not only claiming this, but ALSO claiming Castlevania was really like this (hint: it wasn't).

I've seen this enough in 3 days (not once, not twice, but hundreds of times) that I'm slowly and irrationally losing all respect for the Castlevania fanbase in general. One HUGE section of the fanbase is activelly silencing and shaming the other because of an idiot argument about "historical accuracy" that implies some sort of intellectual superiority, when they really mean "I like it because it's cool".
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:07:21 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #331 on: July 11, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »
@plottwist Welcome to the age of the individual and/ or the "superior". Being a fan of something used to be reason enough to have something in common with someone. I feel a lot of fan bases are divided these days, CV is no exception, but I feel there's more of a sense of bitterness and resentment from some of us as we don't all necessarily believe the franchise is being treated with the respect it deserves.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #332 on: July 11, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »
See, here is where I wanted to arrive. As Dracula9 already pointed out: You're allowed to like it because you think it is cool.

This is my criticism. The people here complaining of the portrayal of the Church are not alone. I've seen hundreds of them already, and every single time the same pattern takes place:

1. Person A complains of the Church's portrayal, because they think it'd be cool to not use the same tired cliche for the 47394th time.
2. Person B sweeps in. Corrects person A about how it is historically accurate and "therefore objectivelly superior".

This "therefore objectivelly superior" part is the problem: Something being historically accurate in FICTION doesn't make it automatically superior. And these people are not only claiming this, but ALSO claiming Castlevania was really like this (hint: it wasn't).

I've seen this enough in 3 days (not once, not twice, but hundreds of times) that I'm slowly and irrationally losing all respect for the Castlevania fanbase in general. One HUGE section of the fanbase is activelly silencing and shaming the other because of an idiot argument about "historical accuracy" that implies some sort of intellectual superiority, when they really mean "I like it because it's cool".
That's with a lot of fanbases, though. I mean, for the while when "gritty, realism" was a trend, people were actually saying, "It's better, because it's more REALISTIC!", as something more realistic makes it objectively superior. Because it will ALWAYS be based on one's opinion, it will ALWAYS be subjective, regardless how much a person tries to rationalize it to themselves and others as an undeniable truth.

Though CV fanbase is nothing if you compare it to, say, the Final Fantasy fanbase.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:51:42 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: July 11, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
On the subject of historical accuracy, it's nice to have but for me personally, as long as the plot is just Belmonts/their mission carried on vs Dracula, I'm good.

The series not only covers Dracula's Curse, but ties into SotN nicely as well. I'm in this for the fan service and from what I've seen, a clear respect for the series canon/lore, and liberties taken do not stray too terribly far from the source material. Perhaps after Lords of Shadow, I've become comfortable with the fact knowing it will hopefully never get that bad anytime soon again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:57:09 PM by OSM »

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2017, 07:46:42 PM »
Another thought that just occurred to me when examining the series. With the Speakers being a nomadic people that are scattered among various tribes makes me wonder if they aren't modeled after the Romani (the Romani being one of the largest minority groups in modern day Romania)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2017, 08:06:48 PM »
Another thought that just occurred to me when examining the series. With the Speakers being a nomadic people that are scattered among various tribes makes me wonder if they aren't modeled after the Romani (the Romani being one of the largest minority groups in modern day Romania)
I think this is exactly what we're supposed to think.  I got this right away.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: July 11, 2017, 10:01:18 PM »
Sounds like Castlevania will live on as an animated series for quite awhile, pretty exciting to think we might see Rondo, SotN, and other games eventually adapted.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #339 on: July 12, 2017, 12:33:41 AM »
Cool, I hope we get season 2 soon enough. Season 3 could be SotN then, which is the perfect CV to follow up CV3.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #340 on: July 12, 2017, 03:40:26 AM »
That's pretty cool.  It will be interesting to see what's come up with. 
Out of curiousity, what would people make of it were they to decide to come up with some original storylines not based directly on one of the games, but using an already established group, such as the CV3 gang?  For example, Trevor and co, after facing Dracula, go and deal with another vampire runing amok and causing trouble outside of Wallachia, or they're going and dealing with the effects of the curse, which could tie in elements from Curse of Darkness in to the series, but from their perspective.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2017, 09:49:44 AM »
kinda feels surreal that we're leaving the era of Lords of Shadow and entering a new animation era.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: July 12, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »
kinda feels surreal that we're leaving the era of Lords of Shadow and entering a new animation era.

I'm with you on that.  That's something heartwarming and comfortable though, that while it's a new take on it, it's a return to the old world, akin to returning to a much loved pair of boots after wearing something else for a time (although I know that this isn't the case for some).  There are some aspects of Lords of Shadow that I love still, but ultimately, the original universe trumps LoS.  It's a slim chance, but I do hope that the generally favourable attitude to the series might persuade Konami to either make more actual games, or hand the series over to someone who'll do a proper job of it.  It's but a dream, however.  In the meanwhile though, to me it's good to see some fresh blood in the series. 
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #343 on: July 12, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »
(click to show/hide)

That aside, I liked it. Music was kind of generic. Needed more of a gothic bent. And sometimes "sword and sandal" is exactly what's called for.

character designs are ok. I liked Trevor's outfit. is it just me or is his crest the LoS Belmont crest?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #344 on: July 12, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
is it just me or is his crest the LoS Belmont crest?

It's not just you, because it is.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags:

anything