Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed  (Read 194415 times)

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed
« Reply #390 on: July 14, 2017, 11:01:57 AM »
I prefer metacritic over rt.

Anyway, i think its a good adaptation. It may change some stuff but who the fuck cares about CV3 story beyond "Trevor, Sypha and Alucard kill Drac"

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #391 on: July 14, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »
Yep, I agree, this ^ is the best format the series could take.
Otherwise they would probably end up adding unnecesary plot which would probably be out of place, or rather plot that would be ther just to be there.
But I guess I'm being a bit of a captain obvious here.
Only other format I can think of is "stand user of the week" as seen in Jojo's part 3, which would translate horribly to this series.

More like it would just fit the structure better. They might add a bit of plot, but enough so where they're not just appearing out of nowhere. They'd be like  the Barbarois from Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust where they're assassins with specialized abilities from their supernatural origins.

Anyway, another interview with Shankar:

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/features/868817-showrunner-adi-shankar-on-the-netflix-castlevania-series#/slide/1

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: July 14, 2017, 12:15:10 PM »
Ellis moving a bit away from the source material for season 2 isn't something I like to hear.

The last thing I want to see is another creative head get too full of themselves like Enric Alvarez did with Lords of Shadow 2.

Creative liberties are all well and good but please, try to reel it in a bit...
Agreed.  The amount of changes they made in the first season are about on the cusp of what I'm comfortable with as it is.  Anything more extreme than that would start pissing me off, I think.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #393 on: July 14, 2017, 02:20:14 PM »
You guys are hilarious, I posted the pic to show the talk like Shankar is a hack is ridiculous, the critical praise for this show is not meaningless in the slightest.  It means a lot more than some butt hurt fans. Don't like it?  Ok, but it's probably just due to it not fitting your vision of the series.  The quality it has as a work of cinema/television/ however you classify it is solid, and the critics back that up.  Nobody is attacking or silencing dissenters... my god can we cut the drama?  If anyone is trying to shut up people for disagreeing with them it is you guys.

In other news... Adi Shankar shared my review today... =D  Closing in on 1000 views in one day.  https://www.facebook.com/bootleguniverse/posts/1953553478211610
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:22:07 PM by AlexCalvo »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #394 on: July 14, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
You guys are hilarious, I posted the pic to show the talk like Shankar is a hack is ridiculous, the critical praise for this show is not meaningless in the slightest.  It means a lot more than some butt hurt fans. Don't like it?  Ok, but it's probably just due to it not fitting your vision of the series.  The quality it has as a work of cinema/television/ however you classify it is solid, and the critics back that up.  Nobody is attacking or silencing dissenters... my god can we cut the drama?  If anyone is trying to shut up people for disagreeing with them it is you guys.

I know people who are being silently banned and blocked from other Castlevania pages without any warning, without any indication of whom on the staff did it, and no one on the staff answering their messages in inquiries when the people banned try to get an explanation.

Why is it these people have done?

Offered too-heavy crit of the show and/or get into it with some rabid superfan who thinks the show is untouchably perfect (and not even close to the degree of argument quality we're seeing on here, mind you). Meanwhile others regularly and actively insult the staff on those pages and sites and communities, call them bitches who are too spineless to do anything...those people get to stay. Seems rather...funny that some minor dissent for the show the pages are exploding with is cause for suspiciously immediate and discreet removal, while others who antagonize the moderation staff get to run about freely. Very funny indeed.

So shut the fuck up, Alex. People are absolutely being silenced over this. Stop running your fucking mouth when you don't know everything that's going on.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #395 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »

So shut the fuck up, Alex. People are absolutely being silenced over this. Stop running your fucking mouth when you don't know everything that's going on.

I wonder why people you know might get banned...  How are you even still here?  Isn't this kind of stuff flagrantly against the rules?  Grow up man.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #396 on: July 14, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
>makes incorrect claim
>disproves claim
>lol why aren't you gone grow up
>insults me
>insults the company i keep

Good to see we're on the same level of burden of proof here.

Anyway, this is my ticket out. I'm done with this website and this community and individuals who either can't react to conflicting proof like an adult or can't handle a few instances of the word "fuck." I'm tired of being unable to speak my mind when I think someone's well and truly being an asshole, because then I'M the asshole and how is D9 not banned yet all he does is have an attitude and attack people and (insert various rant from someone in the past here). Wah. He just attacks people and is a general asshole because that's who he is and he needs to grow up. Wah. There's no possible way he has well-formed reasons for being an asshole about a particular matter, because we know everything going on in his neck of the woods. Wah.

Most of all I think I'm sick of the general disposition regarding difference of opinion and inability of people on both ends of things to actually fucking listen to one another and converse reasonably, of which I'm also guilty at times, which is precisely one of the reasons I'm sick of it. Some of you people just want a circlejerk for something, others can't differentiate fact from subjective, others still sometimes bite too hard and too deep over disproportionally small matters, and I'm goddamn tired of it all. Especially those among us who can't handle being given a bit of flak without resorting immediately to insults about intelligence or maturity. If I hate myself looking back at occasions I've done so myself, then I have to hate when anyone else does it too. And thus it is.

Show dissenters have been handling a few situations poorly in all this. Show fans have been handling a few situations poorly in all this. Both sides have fucked up the quality of the conversation, which is why if you've fucking noticed I've largely abandoned posting my own thoughts about the show in lieu of trying to mediate and explain the stances of both sides to each other, here and elsewhere. And even when clearly trying to keep a cool head and play a middle-grounded role in all this, I'm still The Asshole™ who shouldn't be here at this point. Lovely.

So congrats. All you people who hate me or my methods in the past of biting hard finally won. Good job. You're rid of me. Enjoy the celebratory party, you've certainly earned it.

And so I depart. I'll check in periodically (or more likely, have someone here keep me in the loop) and wait for all this bullshit over the show to chill the fuck out. Maybe I'll come back when it does. Maybe not. We'll see what time away not dealing with all the bullshit does for my psyche. I expect it'll be refreshing.

Glad Senpai noticed you though, dude. I rather enjoyed your article for what it's worth, so it's good to see it getting coverage.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:57:06 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #397 on: July 14, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »
+1
It means a lot more than some butt hurt fans.

If butthurt fans are so insignificant, why are you so desperate to prove them wrong, again? It's as I said above, man. You won. You set your head to win, and you did. Shankar is at the top of his game, Ellis is apparently the new messiah (<<< unintended reference) and the adaptation is the next coming of Dracula.

In fact, the adaptation is so powerful that my CV page grew in thousands of newcomers in two days.

I don't see why you, on the side of the crushing majority liking the show, are so desperate to defend the animation so fiercely... Unless the insignificant "butthurt fans" ARE making points TOO valid for you to overlook. But I don't think this is the case, as your praise appears genuine, taking me back to the beginning.

So, then again, why are you so desperate, dude? Let the butthurt fans be butthurt, fam, they really DO have a reason to be desperate, as they are few and they are getting silenced. You lose literally nothing.

EDIT: I'll also agree with D9 that your article is nice. Congrats on the coverage.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:23:30 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: July 14, 2017, 03:52:16 PM »
+1
*Headdesk*  I think, as D9's pointed out, there are people on both sides who've acted badly potentially, and not just on here.  I think it's a case of people needing to calm the heck down.  Go, get some fresh air.  Chill!  People are getting more and more wound up, and more and more passionate about a debate, until hings are kind of exploding and not in a good way.  This is, like was pointed out a while back, effectively a pilot.  Yes, we want to see an adaptation that doesn't suck, that lives up to the games which are held so preciously by us.  Hey, guess what, either way they still exist, no matter whether we like the series adaptation or not.  That's good in my books.  It's good for me that the series, while imo has its faults, is doing a lot of good for the series.  The way that people are however reacting isn't necessarily helping the survival in the longrun, in a way.  It's at least given Castlevania a lifeline, when things were looking like it was already dead in the water.  Yes, the silencing dissenters is bad.  Everyone should be free to have their opinion on it, either way.  But thins here are geting out of hand.  Go, grab a cup of coffee/tea, and take five.  I hate seeing that people who've made some really valuable contributions to the community, on both sides of this, are getting so fed up fo things that they're looking at walking away from the community.  Let's just take tock of things right now.
Right, now I've said my piece, and given my thoughts on the arguement and the series in general,
~ Tatt over and out for now on this

PS: Btw, a lot of people are comparing this to Vampire Hunter D, especially Bloodlust.  the film is held up as a perfect encapsulation of a beloved series.  Yet it bears very little resemblance, aside for the loosest of ways, to the book that it's based on, Demon Deathchase.  Yet both have their merits.  Both can be enjoyed, or not.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #399 on: July 14, 2017, 05:01:47 PM »
>implying anything with Nicholas Cage and John Travolta chewing up the screen isn't pure kino

Also Spy kids was a perfectly good movie for it's time.

It maybe hasn't aged as well, but at the time, it was hot stuff.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #400 on: July 14, 2017, 05:05:39 PM »
+10
I go away for a couple of days and suddenly this thread:

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: July 15, 2017, 12:12:44 AM »
+2
And here I was thinking that we are better off than the other fandoms... I was mistaken.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #402 on: July 15, 2017, 01:16:31 AM »
Using Rotten Tomatoes an objective indicator of quality is stupid, especially if the consensus is a whooping 11 people.

And here I was thinking that we are better off than the other fandoms... I was mistaken.

Things are getting very heated but during the LoS period it was worse, I think.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 01:22:30 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #403 on: July 15, 2017, 02:51:16 AM »
Using Rotten Tomatoes an objective indicator of quality is stupid, especially if the consensus is a whooping 11 people.

Well, maybe that proves that the crowd is getting older. "We ain't got time for that shit"

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #404 on: July 15, 2017, 03:26:38 AM »

I agree. Around the time of LOS (maybe just prior to its release) after years of not logging in, I visited CVD and started logging in more frequently as time went by. I wouldn't say the experiences were all negative, however, even being an oldschool fan who probably wasn't seen very often in the dungeon I felt was very tough back then, somewhat cold and stark, it was difficult to be acknowledged or not be cut down if you disagreed with a much more seasoned CVD Vet.

This animation is taking the spotlight because there's currently no more games, and it's all the fanbase (old and new) has. If this was another divisive release in the form of a main console release game (like LOS was), we'd be tearing each other's f***ing throats out left, right and centre.

Shiroi also makes a valid point, "we" don't necessarily have time for that shit. This and the next generations are more and more time-poor, and I sympathise with those who have done the hours (admittedly I'm not one of them) and put in extensive amounts of research into the canon, interviews, the lore, Japanese translations, obscure pieces of media that not everybody has access to,, and last but not least - game development, and probably many more.

I imagine how it's frustrating to those who have put in the time and dedication to keep their status quo, work on their own projects, and in a sense "induct" new members into the CVD. Regardless of how divided CV's fanbase is, I still believe that this place is a Sanctuary/ Library of sorts when it comes to storing information, ideas and philosophy/ theory about CV. I notice new members popping up now and again, which given a franchise that hasn't had a proper release (since OOE imho) is indicative that it's an understatement to say that this place carries much value to us fans, for me it's carried the franchise itself and generated ongoing interest in Castlevania as well as fan games/ other .

D9, you're probably the strongest personality on here (which as an Aries I can appreciate because I'm like that myself in life) so on a personal note, it will be sad to not have you around quite so much.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:29:58 AM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^