Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed  (Read 193928 times)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed
« Reply #495 on: July 28, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »
+1
Looks like we will delve into Hector's past and his betrayel, he's not just a throw away villain...

True, I've been a fan of his since Curse of Darkness, sure the gameplay was stellar in it but I loved the story and presentation of it.

I think they may be delving more into his character here because for the confirmed Season 3 they might adapt the events of Curse of Darkness with Hector becoming the lead and Trevor backing him up and as such the fans need more insight on Hector since obviously he is not a fan favorite like Alucard, Trevor, or Sypha and some fans have not even played or beaten COD.

I must say that I'm very confused by if the bald guy is Issac and if so WHY the drastic change in character?

Given how his armor is similar to Hector's it seems obvious he is a forgemaster so he must be Issac during these events but from what we have seen his over all character is NOTHING like Issac and It just strikes me as weird if he is since so far the guys in charge of the series has taken careful care to adapt things from the series as close as possible, I mean Hector Sypha, and Alucard for example look like they where ripped directly from the games.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #496 on: July 28, 2018, 07:25:19 PM »
I'm guessing either A. Isaac doesn't exist here B. Baldie IS Isaac or C. Isaac is offscreen and Baldie is actually his and Hector's master in the dark arts.

I know Dracula was already their direct instructor in the games, and I'm not sure why Ellis would make an intermediate between them and Dracula, but those are the only explanations I can think of right now.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #497 on: July 28, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »
If you watch the trailer on netflix in high def you can see that Baldy has black tattoos on his face.  I'm almost certain he's Isaac.  It doesn't bother me, characters get changed in adaptations all the time.  It might have something to do with the overly flamboyant nature of the character in the game and not wanting to put any viewers off... or it could be anything really.  Hector is good, so I'm happy.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #498 on: July 29, 2018, 02:34:21 AM »
So from this trailer we learn that Dracula wants to destroy every human on earth, right? Then what was the point of the whole: "I'll give you all one year to leave" bit from the first season?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #499 on: July 29, 2018, 05:52:37 AM »
he never said "one year to leave", he said "one year to make your peace with your god"

the old woman was the only person he gave the option to leave to

I'm very surprised to see Hector in this, but still no signs of Grant anywhere....

i'm wondering if this guy isn't actually grant and the loincloth dude leaping down isn't just someone else (since he's crying and has his hands bound, but this could easily still just be grant in the midst of capture and trying to escape or something)

now i know what you're saying, "but D9 this is one of the generals", but remember that grant was enthralled under dracula's service in CV3 before being beaten and brought around to the good side

i find myself wondering if they're going a similar route, assuming this dude is indeed grant, but i'm on the fence with this conjecture since he's clearly not in the form of a monster (though to be fair, i'm sure all these obviously human-appearance generals will have monster forms)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:56:51 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #500 on: July 29, 2018, 06:14:44 AM »
I checked the dialogue and this is what Dracula said:
I give you one year, Wallachians. You have one year to make your peace and remove any marks you have made upon the land.

Later he says:

One year. I gave you one year to make your peace with your God. And what do you do? Celebrate the day you killed my wife. One year I gave you, while I assembled my armies. And now I bring your death. You had your chance.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #501 on: July 29, 2018, 08:24:42 AM »
Come on Nagumo... he's a villain who has gone mad.  The idea that in that year he has expanded his thirst for vengeance to all mankind is incredibly easy to believe.  No comment on how well done and true to the series this is looking?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #502 on: July 29, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »
>nagumo reaching harder than kobe sinking a slamdunk because the reach fits the narrative she wants to be real

well this certainly hasn't happened before or anything

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #503 on: July 29, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »
No comment on how well done and true to the series this is looking?

All of Dracula's generals seem like they could potentially be intriguing characters. It's definitely an interesting choice for a CV3 adaptation. No idea how it will turn out but I'm intrigued at where this could be going.

>nagumo reaching harder than kobe sinking a slamdunk because the reach fits the narrative she wants to be real

well this certainly hasn't happened before or anything

Calm down. If you don't agree with what I'm saying, just tell me why. I'm just trying to get a conversation going.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #504 on: July 29, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »
It's possible that Drac just wanted the people out of his land/country.
And then when they did that nonsense one year later, he goes from just ridding people from his land to destroying as many people in the world as he can.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #505 on: July 29, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »
General on the left looks like LoS Cornell...

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #506 on: July 29, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »
Is Maria in it yet

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #507 on: July 29, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
I'm still salty over how they changed Sypha's background and made the Church--which is at war with Dracula, employs (even raised) Sypha, and also seeks out Trevor--into the bad guys for Season 1. What?! Some of this remixing of mythology reminds me too much of Lords of Shadow--it's shock theater with piecemeal nods. I just haven't been able to fully get on board with this adaptation yet. The Easter eggs are intriguing, but I would like more monsters and settings from the games, if nothing else. Some of this, aside from things like expanding upon Hector, feels a little generic.

And Grant should have been in here earlier; he's the guy who's at the front line fighting Dracula as a resistance fighter and could give a common person's view of Dracula much better than anyone else. Missed opportunity there that I'm not sure can be capitalized on now, given how Alucard is already on the scene. It would have been nice for Trevor to have a more gutsy underdog hero ally first.

Is Maria in it yet

Wrong time frame. She isn't born yet. But maybe you're being facetious?

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #508 on: July 29, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
I'm still salty over how they changed Sypha's background and made the Church--which is at war with Dracula, employs (even raised) Sypha, and also seeks out Trevor--into the bad guys for Season 1. What?! Some of this remixing of mythology reminds me too much of Lords of Shadow--it's shock theater with piecemeal nods. I just haven't been able to fully get on board with this adaptation yet.

I came to understand more or less the thought process over this (from reading Ellis works, from knowing fiction in general, from having contact with the fanbase and knowing what the bigger sections of it thinkgs).

Basically my guess is that "good Church" is too esoteric and adding it right away risks losing the audience. Gotta appeal to the masses and, let us not kid ourselves, Castlevania's original depiction of the church is in direct conflict with what people expect from popular media. The majority of the fanbase assumed that the church was behind the witch hunts in the CV universe anyway, so the animation is just appealing to that narrative.

And don't misunderstand me, I still think Ellis didn't have the first clue what CV is about and researched the barest minimum of main points to build his narrative. Maybe he has now, but now way in hell he had when the first season was written, and he himself admited to that. But I came to understand that, if you don't want the thing with a church in it to feel preachy or to tank hard, you gotta suck on that "church authority is bad baaaad, paganism is awesome" teat, and Ellis' thing is doing exactly that. Just read anything by him and you'll see that he likes this kind of political commentary. Setting up the institution as antagonistic first would be "acknowledging" that it was no sweet flower before actually making it into the sweet flower.

But I have a hunch they will now try changing this perspective for the upcoming seasons. Maybe have the protagonists (Trevor and Sypha) change the institution from the inside, which would be cool to see. I'm very interested on those generals as the concept of them being multicultural appealed HARD to me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:15:34 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #509 on: July 29, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
true to the series
It isn't.
But it's still a fun reinterpretation.

Tags:

anything