Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami is considering making games for the Switch, namedrops Castlevania  (Read 13572 times)

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
https://miketendo64.com/2017/06/06/interview-a-conference-call-with-konamis-richard-jones/

Not much to say here that's not in the title homies, but Konami is considering to make more games for Switch after Super Bomberman R did well for them, and they happen to explicitly name Castlevania out of all of their IPs.

The key quote...

“All I can say is that there is lots of internal discussions going on within Konami regarding what games we can bring to the Nintendo Switch, other than Bomberman, a game which we are well aware of its heritage and how loved it and Castlevania is. So much so that Castlevania is getting is getting its own show on Netflix and because of that, we’re hearing a lot of desires from our fans for a new Castlevania series. So we do know there is a demand for a new game, but right now nothing is set in stone as the discussions are still on going.”

Assuming they actually decide to make a Castlevania game, what are we to expect? A reboot again? Something focused in the original canon? A game version of the Netflix show?

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Great news.  Maybe that game based on the Netflix series isn't so far fetched after all.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Nice to hear they're thinking about the series again

Just give me another game like Castlevania Rebirth, I don't need Castlevania to be another bloated AAA IP

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Here's hoping they copy Zelda and do a huge open world, full of Castlevania monsters and locales. I'd be stoked a fu.

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
They'll most likely port a pachinko game to the Switch, if it's Konami we're talking about.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
>"We want new games!"
>Konami Japan is so impressed with the Netflix series, they do Castlevania The Cartoon: The Pachislot.

Monkey's Paw right there.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
[patiently waits for Rugal to see]

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
I feel like enough has been done with the og canon. I'd love a reboot in terms of plot but have a return to form: linear progression, tough difficulty and replay value through amazing design and unlockable characters. Bloodstained is there for our Metroidvania itch, we could use another classic entry.
I'd also love to see a new Belmont and something more like 3 with more characters to unlock and play as, except maybe this time you can stack characters into your party.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Just give me another game like Castlevania Rebirth, I don't need Castlevania to be another bloated AAA IP

I'd like this as well.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Really.... I think they'd earn more with pachislots and mobile games. /sarcasm
I'll be skeptical until I see a true trailer with gameplay.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I feel like enough has been done with the og canon. I'd love a reboot in terms of plot but have a return to form: linear progression, tough difficulty and replay value through amazing design and unlockable characters. Bloodstained is there for our Metroidvania itch, we could use another classic entry.
I'd also love to see a new Belmont and something more like 3 with more characters to unlock and play as, except maybe this time you can stack characters into your party.
2 D linear platformers are so out of date at this point... I really don't want to see Castlevania go the way of mega man 9/10.  It would be like if the next star wars was in black and white.  The gaming medium has evolved, embrace that.  Doesn't have to be metroidvania, but evolve the style.  Something like DMC could work (In terms of gameplay) but I'd rather see an amalgam of the new Zelda and dark souls.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
Konami Europe was saying all of this, BTW. Not Konami Japan, who we all know has the power. If none of this is coming from corporate HQ in Japan, then it's nothing more than talk on Konami Europe's part and, IMO, a tease.

The absolute most I think we can expect is some ports of older CV games on Switch.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
They shouldn't be expecting many sales at the beginning then. They know we've all been hurt.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
2 D linear platformers are so out of date at this point... I really don't want to see Castlevania go the way of mega man 9/10.  It would be like if the next star wars was in black and white.  The gaming medium has evolved, embrace that.  Doesn't have to be metroidvania, but evolve the style.  Something like DMC could work (In terms of gameplay) but I'd rather see an amalgam of the new Zelda and dark souls.

Not saying I'd detest new ideas. A souls approach from a gameplay and world+lore perspective is a great fit for CV. If it's a 3D game, I'd love the essence of the original games in there: Difficult due to your odds against the enemies and stages. The N64 games did that wonderfully, and if you could update aspects of it with modern advancements in design, I could see a great game coming from it.

And call platformers outdated, a game is as good as it is despite genre choice. People love Shovel Knight and that has some open world elements to it.

Tags: