Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Animated series reviews.  (Read 34614 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »
I agree with pretty much your entire post except from this. I was surprised how little was changed. I can't think of anything that was genuinely changed from the original premise of CV3 apart from things that obviously HAD to be moved around to make sense in a stoy narrative - it's not like the entire series should be a side view of Trevor fighting various monsters and bosses, and I can't think of what anyone could have wanted other than this.
I think the series is very much a fanservice love letter, it just manages to do it without coming across as awkward and nerdy. It makes it hard for me to remain unbiased, and I still have yet to see what someone without preceeding love for the games would think of it.

I think this was more inline with what I had meant--I wrote that thing after binging it multiple times well through the night and hadn't slept, lol.

Quote from: Sumez
list of references

-dagger storm
-throwing axe
-dracula turning into a giant head
-bloody tears (literally)
-alucard using the alucard sword's special attack
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:46:35 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2017, 12:18:34 PM »
I liked it. 

It has it's flaws (the VA work was kinda spotty in some places--like Drac's voice wasn't conveying all consuming rage and hatred of humanity, to give an example) but honestly, I liked it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would.  I think I'll end up being more judgemental when they actually get to the castle though. 

Guess I'll be the weirdo and admit I liked the interaction with Lisa and Dracula. I always got the vibe Lisa was suppose to be sort of an odd person/exceedingly open minded individual and I feel like her interaction with Dracula showed that, if maybe too much (the whole get out more = maybe stop putting individuals on poles comments and being said so...flippantly). If anything, I kinda wish we had gotten more time to see their relationship fleshed out.  Hopefully we'll get flashbacks of her with Alucard in the new coming episodes or something.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »
I'll keep it brief. I liked it overall, but the lack of familiar music is a crucial mistake. Hopefully this is rectified in season 2. I was disappointed that recognizable town names weren't used, but that's just a nitpick. And Trevor's actor didn't show as wide of a range as I hoped for. It also felt edgy at times just to be edgy without much substance. Lastly, there wasn't enough variety to the monsters, but what was shown I really liked.

Overall, I enjoyed it. The atmosphere was fucking spot on though. The visuals were damn impressive. It just needs more variety of monsters and familiar musical motifs.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »
-dagger storm
-throwing axe
-dracula turning into a giant head
-bloody tears (literally)
-alucard using the alucard sword's special attack

Forgot Dracula teleporting away in a big fiery orange pillar.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2017, 12:49:56 PM »
Did I? I thought somebody'd listed that one already...

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »

Guess I'll be the weirdo and admit I liked the interaction with Lisa and Dracula. I always got the vibe Lisa was suppose to be sort of an odd person/exceedingly open minded individual and I feel like her interaction with Dracula showed that, if maybe too much (the whole get out more = maybe stop putting individuals on poles comments and being said so...flippantly). If anything, I kinda wish we had gotten more time to see their relationship fleshed out.  Hopefully we'll get flashbacks of her with Alucard in the new coming episodes or something.

I have a feeling that more of Lisa's backstory with Dracula was done for the purpose of keeping Alucard under wraps, aside for the teaser cameo in that beautiful scene with his father.  It kept a degree of mystery about him, and saved the introduction for when Trevor and Sypha meet him.  It made sense storytelling-wise.  It also had more punch this way, I think, especially with the episode count being so low.  I really hope that we get more details on stuff all round in season two, such as a flashback to a young Allie, and see more of that lovely interaction between Drac and Lisa.  There was some lovely chemistry between them.

I've been thinking, and I know that some have complained about the sound mixing in places.  There were one or two little moments that got me as well, I admit, but I'm also wondering whether it could also partially be due in places to the strength of the accents of some of the minor characters, especially for those not used to those accents (the use of which I liked I admit).
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
+1
You are correct D9.  My bad.

I'm gonna copy/paste something I wrote in another thread.

I get that some people don't like to see the church in a negative light... but let's be real here.  The medieval church was as evil as any evil that ever eviled.  To be honest the church in this series acted about exactly as the church probably would have, had such a scenario presented itself.  Burning innocent women as witches, excommunicating virtuous, even heroic individuals that don't fall in line with there teachings, violently persecuting religious minorities... that was a normal Friday night in those days, for the clergy.  I don't think this was a problem at all.  And they even make a point to show that there are good members of the clergy in episode 4.  Honestly if they had made the church into good guys, it would be equally historically inaccurate and offensive
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:59:58 PM by AlexCalvo »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2017, 12:58:47 PM »
I wish I could phone in on mixing quality, but my speakers are already on their way out so I'm playing without a full deck anyway.

Which sucks, because I usually have a good ear for this shit.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2017, 01:06:58 PM »
The point about the church's nastier antics on calling out heretic! left, right, and centre is absoutely correct for this sort of time period.  A friend of mine gave a class on this sort of thing a few years ago, and it made for very interesting reading and listening, on just how many different theoogies and philosphies could get you kicked out.  It was pretty brutal, no wonder tensions were high.  I felt that in the series this was shown well, through both how Lisa and the Belmonts were treated, and the frown that the Bishop gave the Mayor of Targoviste when he said he'd looked into the sciences.  It added a layer of realism in the historical context, as well as serving the purpose well of framing the narrative of how Dracula lost his shit with humanity after the death of Lisa.

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
+2
CONS
-NO STRUT WALK
-NO WALL MEAT
-NO FLOATING CANDLES
-TREVOR USES KNIVES AS A PRIMARY SUBWEAPON LIKE A NOOB
-TREVOR IS WEARING ACTUAL PANTS

PROS
-ALUCARD'S TIDDIES
-SHEEP FUCKING

0/10
BLASPHEMOUS
Gotta get away

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »
-NO STRUT WALK

Done, 0/10, series shit, never watching again

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »
CONS
-NO STRUT WALK
-NO WALL MEAT
-NO FLOATING CANDLES
-TREVOR USES KNIVES AS A PRIMARY SUBWEAPON LIKE A NOOB

PROS
-ALUCARD'S TIDDIES
-SHEEP FUCKING

0/10
BLASPHEMOUS

Maybe when they get inside Castlevania some of these might appear?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »
I watched it in Japanese today and really liked it. That scene on the bar where trevor fights "Mr. Shovel Knight" was really funny.
I see that some people disliked the series (not these that I'll quote later, another ones) yet I think it was pretty good, not perfect but good, I was expecting something very worse than that and after so many cancelled CV animations and movies, even thought we never would get something like that.

While it can and should improve on season 2, I think its a perfect spark to lit the fire on this franchise again and get new fans, without resorting to something that totally doesnt looks like Castlevania or too forced (like I expected this series would be before watching the trailer).

Hopefully they will finda a way to include Grant on season 2 and show more about Lisa, maybe we can even dream with they including another character like Master Librarian in some way.

They did well in creating a character like that bishop for this show, hopefully they will continue keeping new characters as interesting as these shown until now or better.

If they make a game adaptation of this, they should include the shovel guy and goat familiar as an unlockable character. :P

(click to show/hide)

Maybe when they get inside Castlevania some of these might appear?

Trevor will shit piss in his pants because of too much beer, start strut walking and then decide to walk without pants for the rest of the show?

-NO FLOATING CANDLES
While they weren't floating, I think all these torches in the catacombs were meant to be our classic candles. Trevor even enter in detail about it.

I was disappointed that recognizable town names weren't used, but that's just a nitpick.

You mean in-game town names? Maybe they were built after CV3, but I kinda understand what you mean.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:44:23 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
Wall o' text

(click to show/hide)

Also, Nintendo's rewards program is offering discounts for the first three Castlevania titles. Good timing
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:19:28 PM by Aiddon »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »
Bluefang wasn't carrying the bishop in his mouth. Just some random woman.

Tags:

anything