Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Did anyone ever bother to preserve the three mobile ports of CV1?  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
A lot of people don't know this, but the original Castlevania actually had three different mobile versions, one of which was even released in the West. The first one (from 2002) was a Japan-only release and is very primitive. However, this game got upgraded a year later. This second version has better graphics and some of its sprites even seem to be based on the X68K version. This is the version that was also released overseas. Finally, the third version, which is known as "Akumajou Dracula Complete Version", looks pretty distinct from the NES version and kind of has a remake feel to it.

I already played the original version many times, so I would be curious to try out either the second or the third mobile version. I was wondering if any of these mobile ports have been preserved? If they aren't, it might be a good thing to do so while it's still possible for preservation's sake.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything, please let me know.     

Offline AxeLord

• Hector's #1 Fan
  • Hunter in Training
  • Where's the damn wall meat, Ellis?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Re: Did anyone ever bother to preserve the three mobile ports of CV1?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:19:20 PM »
I don't understand how stuff like this gets lost. I mean, it's still theoretically out there. Downloaded on somebody's old Nokia and left in a closet.

Games preservation is a mess.

I already played the original version many times

Do you have a link for that? I'd love to play it.
Roses are red,
violets are blue,
but enough talk -
have at you!

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 06:16:09 AM »
Do you have a link for that? I'd love to play it.

Looking back at my post, I realized that sentence you quoted was horribly misleading. I was actually talking about the original NES/FC version.

But I have some good news! I found the third version here (it's the Chinese version rather than the Japanese one). I haven't played it played it might self because I don't know what emulator to use, but somebody posted some screenshots a while back:

Also, somebody made a remake of CV1 using the graphics from this mobile version. Here's a brief video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geoO0rIYJfM

It looks really bad actually!

If anyone can get it working, please let me know. Also, does anyone know a good ROM site to upload this to?   

Offline AxeLord

• Hector's #1 Fan
  • Hunter in Training
  • Where's the damn wall meat, Ellis?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 10:53:48 AM »
I got it running! I use a Nokia 3310 3G as a burner phone, and it runs it great. I can't record straight from the phone, but I can stick it in front of a camera!

I'm gonna see if I can rip the audio from it. There are MIDI versions of the soundtrack that actually sound pretty good.
Roses are red,
violets are blue,
but enough talk -
have at you!

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 11:21:56 AM »
I got it running! I use a Nokia 3310 3G as a burner phone, and it runs it great. I can't record straight from the phone, but I can stick it in front of a camera!

Please do!

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »
But I have some good news! I found the third version here (it's the Chinese version rather than the Japanese one). I haven't played it played it might self because I don't know what emulator to use, but somebody posted some screenshots a while back:

You can run it with this emulator. Tested it myself:

It handles.... Pretty good, in fact :o To get the best results, you have to limit the emulator's framerate to 30 (ESC brings up the config menu).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:34:24 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »
Really cool stuff, guys.  It's such a shame that preservation of old games has been stifled by anti-piracy stigma.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
+1
I also found the second mobile version from 2003. It's a bit confusing but at least two different versions of it exist (both are included in the file). However, no matter which version you play, all of them are divided into three parts (2 stages each). It seems they couldn't fit all of the stages into one game, so they had to divide it in three parts. Unfortunately both versions are incomplete. One version has only the first part, the other has both the first and second part.

Tags: