Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Blood Blast - Rise of IGAs Ego & other concerns  (Read 3985 times)

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
Blood Blast - Rise of IGAs Ego & other concerns
« on: July 24, 2020, 11:07:57 PM »
So fill me in, because

"I've been on a long journey.  I came back to find my IRC channel deserted."  Etc, etc.

A little over 2 years ago, Bloodstained was in beta and season twa of the CV anime was on the horizon.
Sure, I can check them out Monday when I get legitimate Internet connection again, but were these things well recieved?  Has anything else developed since then?
I've been trapped in the Abyss for quite some time, so I'm not quite sure what is going on with CV anymore.

Still crossing my fingers for that Order of Shadows sequel/prequel/remake/gfx hack.  Cellphonevania was absurd...ly ahead of its time.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Blood Blast - Rise of IGAs Ego & other concerns
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:19:30 AM »
Redrum-sama :D :D :D

Well, Castlevania is in dire straits. There was a netflix anime, the first couple of seasons of which were well-regarded, but the third season dropped the ball by being too edgy. In terms of games, while we've had some collections and re-releases, the only new thing was a mobile game, Grimoire of Souls, and that has recently been canceled. :(

Bloodstained, on the other hand...that star seems to be ascendant. Despite a ton of delays and many missteps, ranging from publishers to cancelled/modified stretch goals (the roguelike was turned into a randomizer mode) and so on, it managed to release in 2019, and it's been quite a success. As of this writing the main game has sold over a million copies, despite how glitchy it can sometimes be (especially on the Switch). If you were to ask me, though, the real crown in its jewel is Curse of the Moon. That was the 8-bit side game promised as a stretch goal, and it turned out to be REALLY good, an almost perfect successor to Castlevania 3. It was so good that it has a sequel released just earlier this month, Curse of the Moon 2, which is also really good. Despite his setbacks--and while I am a mod at the Bloodstained forums as well, I think I'm being objective here--it seems that IGA has really taken up the torch that Konami has thrown away. I suppose it's possible they may actually do something good with the Castlevania IP, but as it stands, I wouldn't bet on it. Bloodstained is what scratches the Castlevania itch for most people nowadays. There's also Blasphemous, which, while not directly related to Castlevania in any way, plays and looks like classic Symphony of the Night.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:02:41 AM »
Simon B-man is also playable in the latest Smash Bros. and Richter is also playable but more of a reskin.

And Timespinner is an awesome SOTN/OOE/Chrono tribute so play that because Castlevania is all but dead in terms of gaming.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 08:51:15 AM »
Dire straits indeed.  We've been resigned to dwell in the tomb of archaic gaming that is Smash Bros, amongst the Balloon Fighters and Little Macs of the world.

While I'm somewhat relieved we didn't get that weird looking sequel to SOTN, it's disheartening that big K hasn't pulled head from ass.  Rather than have any sort of 5-minute funeral for our champion Konami-Man, they seem to have dumped his half dead corpse down by the river to be finished off by were-beavers and such.  I guess all we can do is play you a song...

That's for all of you Gradius & Contra fans, too.

Shigeharu Umezaki must be openly weeping to see his creations dismembered like so many K-Marts and Circuit City stores.  Ume-Chan, our hearts go out to you.  It seems Kojima was right after all and I hate it when he's right.

And our last bastion of hope is the intern who got coffee for the programmers and did such a good job at it that they put him in the credits for Gofer No Yabou back in 1988.  He never spilled a drop and always had snack cakes at the ready.  This cowboy-hat wearing, whip wielding maniac has been the favoured piñata of these boards for quite some time and that's only because that shmuck David Cox didn't have any snack cakes.
While it blows my mind into jagged chunks to do this, I have to present Koji Igarashi with the Golden Hunchback Award™ for vigilance.

By the power vested in me by CVC and the Konami Kukeiha Club, I beseech you sir, with a caveat - don't make me regret this.  Now please don't immediately shit the bed.  And bring us coffee.

I guess if all else fails, we can always fire up Stake and get to work on Blood Moon 2 - Electric Boogaloo.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 09:16:19 AM »
Well, Castlevania is in dire straits. There was a netflix anime, the first couple of seasons of which were well-regarded, but the third season dropped the ball by being too edgy.

only here mind you, apparently commercially it did great and we're getting S4.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:24:00 AM by SecretWeapon »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 11:20:15 AM »
Isn't season 4 up in the air because of whats-his-pickle is in trouble with the law?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 05:14:39 PM »
I haven't heard any developments and Ellis hasn't tweeted since June 16th when he posted his apology. Meanwhile Sam Deats posted this on July 4th so even if Ellis gets fired, S4 will probably still happen and be his to some degree

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »
Ellis is getting dropped from tons of stuff.  Netflix hasn't said anything yet but they are one of the strictest media companies when it comes to this kind of misconduct.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 11:30:50 PM »
okay i'm getting these games now.  so which one do i play first?  i'll probably go with blood blast itself, since it seems like it's the main deal and the curse of the wolf games were probably more of an afterthought...  looking like excellent contributions, but an afterthought nonetheless.

the cover art looks kinda weird, but that's kickstarter projects for ya.

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 04:56:41 AM »
by the way, what is my cvd avatar doing in smash bros?  i'm talking to my lawyers.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:32:16 PM by redrum »

Tags: