Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: You know prosess Dracula's Heart  (Read 2991 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« on: October 12, 2020, 12:05:48 PM »
¡Hola chicos y chicas! I just thought we should discuss some imagery. I thought it was curious how Ayami Kojima is fond of adding hearts to her illustrations. It's very creepy how this shows Dracula and his heart hovering over his palm, almost as if he's offering it to whomever will accept it

Then we have this piece, once again showing Dracula's heart in a hovering position, drawn in fantastic Byzantine style

Unrelated to any specific game, but here's another artwork by Kojima

I wonder why she likes to do this? Either way I think it's very odd & poetic

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 12:22:39 AM »
Who knows what's in the mind of an artist. I'm an artist myself and I can only guess at what form of meaning she puts into her images. Often we do things that reflect who we are in our work. In the artist's case it's visuals (if you draw or paint). And since it isn't strictly related to her Dracula images there is an obvious return of this form of symbolism reflecting in her artistic nature. We could always ask her if we really wanted to find out  :-\
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 03:56:33 AM »
"You lost your heart. Your soul. You'll never win without them."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:57:16 AM »
Some quick googling showed me that "person holding a heart" is a recurring motif in medieval art. My guess is that's where Kojima got the idea from.

Tags:

anything