Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Question regarding battle of 1999/Aria of Sorrow  (Read 5014 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Question regarding battle of 1999/Aria of Sorrow
« on: November 30, 2020, 05:49:00 PM »
Just a random thought I had the other night, it might’ve been explained but I don’t remember. So why did Julius leave the Vampire Killer in the castle in 1999? The threat of Dracula has been neutralized thanks to the Hakuba clan sealing the castle in the eclipse. Why didn’t he say to himself “okay let me hold onto my family’s ancestral weapon just in case” or nobody suggest that to him?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Question regarding battle of 1999/Aria of Sorrow
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 09:12:04 AM »
From what I remember Julius left it in the castle to help further weaken Dracula's powers since both he and the castle are connected. But when you really think about it, it seems like a wasted plot point as it was never followed up in the game's story.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Scarlet starlet

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 06:26:02 AM »
I have always thought the holy whip was the centerpiece of whatever sorcery the hakubas put on the castle. The magic itself wasn't THAT important, it could have simply offered the means to use the vampire killer in a new, lethal way. This is why julius had to relinquish it in in my headcanon

I wonder why no one reached Julius after the whole ordeal was over. Did they really left him wandering in amnesia for 30+ years? Did they think he was dead or something?

Offline Mysterii

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 06:56:18 AM »
To me, it seems as though since they believed that since Dracula was permadead, they didn't feel the need to remind Julius that he was a Belmont.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »
Yeah, I thought it just weakened the castle further. Who knows? There's a lot to that story which is a "who knows".

Kind of a random side note. First time playing AoS, I thought Julius was trapped in the castle that was trapped in the eclipses and that's why he lost his memories because he was just wandering in a giant castle alone for all those years and it made him a little crazy. Unless that's what the story was and I was right the whole time?

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 03:38:43 PM »
Yeah, I thought it just weakened the castle further. Who knows? There's a lot to that story which is a "who knows".

Kind of a random side note. First time playing AoS, I thought Julius was trapped in the castle that was trapped in the eclipses and that's why he lost his memories because he was just wandering in a giant castle alone for all those years and it made him a little crazy. Unless that's what the story was and I was right the whole time?
Nope, still wrong.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 06:32:27 PM »
What I personally believe is that Julius' memory is also part of the ritual along with the whip that is why he's an amnesiac.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 11:36:21 PM »
It was mentioned in-game that he suffered an accident which brought about his amnesia. Most likely it happened after the battle with Dracula when Castlevania started to collapse while they were escaping. Alucard would have been the only one strong enough to rush an unconscious Julius out of harm's way. Once everyone was clear of the castle the final stages of the ritual would've taken place and then Castlevania was sealed away.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »
Nope, still wrong.
Ha. That's what I thought.

It was mentioned in-game that he suffered an accident which brought about his amnesia. Most likely it happened after the battle with Dracula when Castlevania started to collapse while they were escaping. Alucard would have been the only one strong enough to rush an unconscious Julius out of harm's way. Once everyone was clear of the castle the final stages of the ritual would've taken place and then Castlevania was sealed away.

I'm sure you're 100% right. It's been forever since I've played AoS.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 10:17:47 AM by GuyStarwind »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 04:41:40 PM »
I'm sure you're 100% right. It's been forever since I've played AoS.

Well, don't quote me on this one with a 100% but thanks anyways, lol. Julius stated his accident that caused his amnesia. Everything else I mentioned is all conjecture but it makes sense in my mind.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 04:43:17 PM »
In english he says that it was to weaken Dracula's spirit and magical power. But in japanese he says the whip was used to break Dracula's soul from his magical power. Subtle difference but still a difference.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:46:57 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 08:19:39 AM »
I wonder if it was Saint Germain that suggested the idea to them? Being that he couldn’t interact directly... Maybe Julius wanted to take the whip but Germain said to leave it in order to “maintain balance” so to speak. Otherwise why else would he even be there? I dunno, the rules he abides by are weird & anything regarding his role in 1999 will be pure speculation at this point

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 09:15:01 AM »
I have doubts that he would mention that to Julius. He's a time traveler, merely observing; touching nothing, changing nothing. He's forbidden from interfering in any and all historical events. The idea of leaving the whip behind could have come from other sources instead. Alucard knows more about Dracula and Castlevania itself so he could have brought up the suggestion. Julius himself might have know about this as well via his ancestral knowledge. It's obvious St. Germain would known but as mentioned above; time traveler. The Hakuba priests would have absolutely no knowledge as they first showed up in 1999 and have never encountered Dracula or his armies before. Any knowledge they have would be limited to eastern mythology/demonology. Specifically of Japanese origin. Unless IGA actually fleshed out that part of AoS story (which I don't think he had) then all we can do is guess.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 03:16:31 PM »
It makes sense that Julius left the VK behind in context. the way I interpret it is Castlevania itself is a 'Creature of Chaos', which exists in both the astral and physical realms, so to speak. Leaving it in there is like stuffing bulbs of garlic into an ordinary vampire's open wound.

@ Plottwist The VK was used to destroy Dracula completely, so while the Japanese translation is subtly different, the VK being "used to separate Dracula's soul from his magical power" sounds to be referring to the final battle mores o than the act of leaving the VK behind.

This actually came up in a topic I posted in 2015. https://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=8229.0
Again, thanks to Plottwist for pointing out Julius' character description in DoS:

Julius Belmont:
A descendant of a clan of vampire hunters, he wields a generations-old whip named "Vampire Killer."  He lost his memory when he defeated Dracula in 1999, and only regained it during last year's incident.  He now assists the Church in their undertakings.

"When he defeated Dracula" is still arbitrary, but it gives a much better understanding or timeframe of when/why this occurred.

The most straight forward response as to why is that the Hakuba Ritual potentially merged both the VK's Memory to Julius' memory.. Since we aren't privy to the inner workings of the Hakuba Ritual, the world may never know.

I interpret Julius destroying Dracula, sealing the VK into the throne room where Dracula resurrects (maybe in the coffin/ altar itself) and then fleeing the Castle. When the window between astral and physical realms had shut and Castlevania was completely removed from the physical world, Julius' mind was so strongly interwoven with it that it blanked.. In AoS he mentions something to the effect of awakening in the hospital and  not remembering his name which is why he goes by "J", he also mentions whenever he hears the name 'Dracula' he has a negative reaction.

Whether it was a byproduct of the ritual to preserve the identity and future lineage of the Belmonts isn't clear, but the memory loss appears to not be intentional imo. It seems more circumstantial to both defeating Dracula and being separated from the VK.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 03:18:50 PM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline comeau

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 12:25:33 PM »
Aside from what's already been said in this thread regarding the use of the Whip to sever Dracula's soul from his magical power:
Why didn’t he say to himself “okay let me hold onto my family’s ancestral weapon just in case” or nobody suggest that to him?
I think it'd be reasonable to say that, in-universe, they didn't expect to have to deal with the castle reappearing ever again - and at that point, with Dracula presumedly dead for good, the Belmont bloodline would've effectively served their lifelong purpose in combatting him.

I might be assuming that, though, since Arikado was making visits to the Shrine for at least 10 years prior to the events of AoS - which seems to imply that he might've been testing the integrity of the seal placed upon the castle, just in case.

Tags: