Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Save your criticism  (Read 71627 times)

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2013, 02:26:34 AM »
+2
Though music theory is important, the feeling is the most important thing for me.
Those musicians you mentioned, with The Beatles on top, are masters of their own art.
I was referring, in general terms, to musicians who don't know all possibilities available, so they always end up making the same chords over and over, and if they don't have a classical base, chances are those chords will be boring...

If your soul resonates with the music, why pooh-pooh 'simplistic' chords, and/or their repetitive use?  Would bands get a free pass if they used major thirteenths or dominant 7th suspended 4ths?   Do you think less of a musician, of these bands, because they use two or three chords, but may have a fantastic melody line over the top?  They are reaching out to the hearts of millions of people.

Also, pray tell, which musician knows all possibilities available?  When do you or I cross that line you've drawn in the sand?  Can you play every instrument in the world, can you play different styles, different beat and timings, could you compose a rap song, or a genre unknown to you; could you pen lyrics and create melody lines?  What if you change tuning and play three notes together which sound dissonant?  Is that amateurish because you don't 'get it'?

It's art.

Even a virtuoso of an instrument will tell you they're still learning new things.

Go and listen to Joe Satriani's magnificent 'Clouds Race Across the Sky': this is based around two chords with a solo line or two on top.  It's beautiful and will take you to another place.

Good shout out on jazz! :)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2013, 08:04:59 AM »
+1
I doesn't matter if the same chord progression is repetetive or goes off into the wilds, as long as it strikes the most IMPORTANT chord, the resonation with people, it's done it's job. I still believe, with all my heart, regarding music, the appealing aspect is greater than that of the technical aspect. It's about what you like, what sounds good, what makes you feel good(be it technically complex or simplistic). That, I believe, is the most inportant aspect to all forms of artistic expression.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:54:00 AM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #272 on: August 09, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »
+1
Go and listen to Joe Satriani's magnificent 'Clouds Race Across the Sky': this is based around two chords with a solo line or two on top.  It's beautiful and will take you to another place.

HUGE props for mentioning Joe Satriani.  A good friend of mine turned me to his work.  His melodies remind me of the Bloodlines music arrangements from "Dracula Battle Perfect Selection".  It's that kind of sound... that's really good and jives well with me.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #273 on: August 09, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »
+1
Most people in here are really good at music and such... while pitiful I, barely passed music class....
So in short, I don't understand a lot of things mentioned here, but, Castlevania Jazz... hehehehe, I like it.
Michiru Yamane: Tachismystic Construction ~ Beginning - 2010

I'm interested in this.  ;)
Heheh yess I LOVE that track, it's one of my favorites :P However I'd be pissed off to hell if that was the theme of some level, however as backgroundmusic in a "jazz club" location would be extra nice.

Everything comes full circle

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: August 09, 2013, 09:47:50 AM »
HUGE props for mentioning Joe Satriani.  A good friend of mine turned me to his work.  His melodies remind me of the Bloodlines music arrangements from "Dracula Battle Perfect Selection".  It's that kind of sound... that's really good and jives well with me.

Aye, he's brilliant!

If you look at him purely as musician, as seems to be the way in this thread, he has brilliant tone, incredible technique, and the likes of his pitch axis theory (method of chord progression using modes and scales and a root note/tonic) is mind boggling. Yet, despite all his knowledge, he keeps it simple.  Every song he has written and played is very muchly melodic and 'hummable'.  Somebody else in this thread I think mentioned simplicity, and their right IMO: that's so important.

Satch is great and he doesn't half keep those albums coming!

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #275 on: August 09, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »
+1

Everything comes full circle

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #276 on: August 09, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
I love that de-mix.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: August 09, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
+1
Meh, even SNES-erized, the melody does nothing for me. I guess I just don't find the song(melody and entire composition, remixed, arranged or original alike) appealing.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #278 on: August 09, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
It sounds more like a title screen music than something that would play when playing the game. Now please, tell me that its really from the title screen.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #279 on: August 09, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »

The coolest part is that this time it doesnt seemed to be intentional xD
Haha! It was intentional  :P

Your words are as empty as..... eeh forget it  :P hahaha
Mankind ill would need a composer such as...
I was just joking  :P

I've no idea about James Howard but Michael Giacchino got his start in video games, actually. He did the soundtrack to the Lion King on the Genesis/SNES, Jurassic Park: The Lost World for the PS1, Medal of Honor/Underground/Allied Assault/Frontline, and the first two PC Call of Duty titles. His music, especially for MoH and Call of Duty (and I mean the first games from the late 90's/early 2000's, not latter day modern warfare stuff), were absolutely beautiful. I have no opinion on his film work, but I'd say he certainly knows something about video game music.
I had no idea about that. I know some of his film works, and I find them personally light and silly in some cases and boring in others. If he did Lion King for the Genesis, that's a good one, but merit goes to Hans Zimmer, since the themes chiptuned for that game were in fact themes from the movie, that Hans Zimmer composed when he was a high art top composer. Lion King was one his first masterpieces. It's too sad what he's become now. I was one of his biggest fans some years ago. But after Pirates 3 he totally lost it for me.

The fact that you left out Motoi Sakuraba makes me a sad panda  :'(

Dang I got to get back my music mojo gotta get back into reading the music sheets as well my casio is catching some dust  :P
I just mentioned some masters, I consider Motoi Sakuraba at the same level of those I mentioned, and I am still forgetting about other ones, I'm sure.
Just Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean 4, Valkyrie Profile 2, and many others... he's a top VG composer.
He's also composed many baroque pieces.

And yes, play again your keyboard! I was in a phase some years ago when I didn't play for some months, and then I returned and I knew I've won back a part of myself that was missing.

If your soul resonates with the music, why pooh-pooh 'simplistic' chords, and/or their repetitive use?  Would bands get a free pass if they used major thirteenths or dominant 7th suspended 4ths?   Do you think less of a musician, of these bands, because they use two or three chords, but may have a fantastic melody line over the top?  They are reaching out to the hearts of millions of people.

Also, pray tell, which musician knows all possibilities available?  When do you or I cross that line you've drawn in the sand?  Can you play every instrument in the world, can you play different styles, different beat and timings, could you compose a rap song, or a genre unknown to you; could you pen lyrics and create melody lines?  What if you change tuning and play three notes together which sound dissonant?  Is that amateurish because you don't 'get it'?

It's art.

Even a virtuoso of an instrument will tell you they're still learning new things.

Good shout out on jazz! :)
No, as I said, those bands and artists mentioned here are masters of their art.

What I consider amateurish is some new composer with little to no study making simple compositions with simple melodies, simple arrangements, that scream boring and repetition all the time. I can't explain it with words without using theory, and I'm boring many ones with theory words.
I usually "get" what I listen. Actually, I enjoy those "rare" things (like in Harmony of Dissonance, though thanks to that game I had to study progressive composition in order to understand and appreciate what the composer tried to do when he made that soundtrack; thanks to Hramony of Dissonance, I ended up liking Dream Theatre, though I must be the only one weird enough to make such a connection  :P).
Just think of some recent indie games that don't feature actual composers but amateur people just making something to put in the background of the game.
There is plenty of examples. From what I've heard on this forum so far, there are better composers here (like Montoya) than in many actual games that people is playing right now.
About movies, Hollywood is to blame. All composers have proven they can do excellent works (Zimmer, Beltrami, Howard), but today they are instructed to follow the trend of making nonsense for every big budget movie.

It's all art, yes.
But as I said some pages ago, I wouldn't compare a Da Vinci or Michael Angelo painting to pop art works, like the Campbell soup.

I'm aware of Satriani's works, and I respect it, though it isn't a usual listen in my computer, I've listened to him from time to time.
But I'm pretty open minded when it comes to listening. I have something from pretty much every genre in my computer folder (which I listen to in random mode while working, usually). Over 700.000 themes in one HDD (VGM and classical are the ones with more amount of themes, though, every Castlevania soundtrack included, of course).

As I previously said to DoctaMario, I hope you don't misunderstand my constant answers like hostility, I'm actaully enjoying this talk and I take it as friendly.

And yes, I had forgotten about jazz, but I consider it as important as classical in any musician education (or listener education, for that matter).  :)

I doesn't matter if the same chord progression is repetetive or goes off into the wilds, as long as it strikes the most IMPORTANT chord, the resonation with people, it's done it's job. I still believe, with all my heart, regarding music, the appealing aspect is greater than that of the technical aspect. It's about what you like, what sounds good, what makes you feel good(be it technically complex or simplistic). That, I believe, is the most inportant aspect to all forms of artistic expression.
It's very subjective when it comes to personal tastes, yes.

Most people in here are really good at music and such... while pitiful I, barely passed music class....
So in short, I don't understand a lot of things mentioned here, but, Castlevania Jazz... hehehehe, I like it.
Michiru Yamane is very influenced by jazz. Symphony of the Night featured many jazz-based themes.

Hey Pfil, this one is for you :P
Thanks for sharing  :)
Nice sound, but still it doesn't have my CV sound, only the instruments that remind me of SNES sound.
But thanks anyway.

This makes me think, though... is there a way of making it the other way around... I mean, like taking Iron Blue Intention and making it sound with LoS instruments? Any of the remixers here could do that perhaps with some specific soundfonts?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: August 09, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
Michiru Yamane: Tachismystic Construction ~ Beginning - 2010

I've been interested in country cv  for awhile also so what if you barely passed, the fact is you passed.  I think I passed piano 1 with flying colors one of the reasons is because I sometimes get very angry instead of  being nervous  when I have to play in front of other people. I put hours into learning this song so I should have no fear I also remember how many times I have been told to slow down I remember when I though I had Largo (by Antonin Dvorak so what I got a little teary sue me :-[ )

Antonin Dvorak - New World Symphony ~Largo~

under my belt... oh no(the music sheet was covering 0:00-2:30 iirc my fingers started to move when I heard it)..... Slow means slow and I don't think you can go much more slow than largo (iirc largo means slow :P ) . But yes I do want to master piano one reason is because I want to play VG music sheets I'm was starting to get the metroid theme down the main theme title one on the nes and piano is productive for me as well so why not  ;D And hey playing to bring joy to some people makes the thought happy to me also if I get really good in some years maybe I will pay a very special song to a very special someone someday something that only they would hear no one else. Yeah I would like to romance a girl with piano one day  :-[ and anything can be done if I work toward it   :)

Also I will say this playing on a grand piano is very different from say a yamaha or casio the weight of the keys was staggering to me at first I really needed to press down on em.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 03:53:12 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags:

anything