Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: (Edit) IRC channel is still live, just barely  (Read 15167 times)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: (Edit) IRC channel is live, check latest post for details
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »
I've just tried it and it worked fine for me. I'm also using the latest firefox version.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
You should try mIRC Freddy, it's basic but very functional. If it doesn't work at least you know it's not a problem with your browser or the browser client just being wonky.
http://www.mirc.com/

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
I can confirm that the IRC works well on Chrome. Never used any IRC before. Extremely easy to use and I feel foolish for never messing with them earlier.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »
I, myself, would recommend against one, but I view the whole thing from a different perspective than most (the perspective of a forum admin). Things like that are too difficult to moderate (I guarantee you people will be doing stuff in there you don't want them to) and will eat into your forum activity. There's a good chance your regulars will use that as their main medium of interacting, which, in the long run, will likely not help the forum. Perhaps the most harmful thing that can happen is that it may create a rift between members and open up room for a lot drama.

Just adding my own 2 cents, which, a lot of is from experience. I don't really mind one way or the other whether one is added, as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use it. But beware, they sound like nice, happy, helpful things, but I actually would not have one, speaking from the perspective of someone who would have to manage the forum, and considering the 'big picture' of the well-being of the forum.   
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:15:37 PM by Successor The Cruel »

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »
I'm alright with the idea, as I use mIRC often.

I've been browsing the forum just as much as I did prior; it hasn't drawn my attention elsewhere.
Chat rooms in general allow users get to know each other better due to how casual they are—private messages always seem awkward.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
I, myself, would recommend against one, but I view the whole thing from a different perspective than most (the perspective of a forum admin). Things like that are too difficult to moderate (I guarantee you people will be doing stuff in there you don't want them to) and will eat into your forum activity. There's a good chance your regulars will use that as their main medium of interacting, which, in the long run, will likely not help the forum. Perhaps the most harmful thing that can happen is that it may create a rift between members and open up room for a lot drama.

Just adding my own 2 cents, which, a lot of is from experience. I don't really mind one way or the other whether one is added, as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use it. But beware, they sound like nice, happy, helpful things, but I actually would not have one, speaking from the perspective of someone who would have to manage the forum, and considering the 'big picture' of the well-being of the forum.   

We had one for years, with little problems.
It died a few years back only 'cuz the server went kerplowie.

This is why I held it up to a vote and had this poll for over a month.  It seems to me that having one doesn't really generate enough of a backlash to not have it.
The worst that can happen is that either it sucks or it's an unorganized mess.  Likely though, it'll be just like other IRC channels: silent most of the time, with the occasional wave of activity.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 05:36:19 AM »
Likely though, it'll be just like other IRC channels: silent most of the time, with the occasional wave of activity.

Yeah that's the #1 thing for people new to IRC to remember (apart from common sense stuff that applies in most social situations like don't bring up politics/religion/racism etc.) the IRC should not be your primary source of engagement/entertainment. It's something to leave running in the background and occasionally check to see if an interesting conversation is going on. Because at least 70% of the time it'll be dead as a door nail.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
Today I'm being blocked by the remote server on the IRC channel. Did it go kerblewie again or did I do something wrong?

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »
I am on the case. One of the network's very own IRCcops is currently looking into this as we speak.

Edit: Here's a transcript of the conversation I had with the IRCcop concerning this issue:

[13:28:39] <FireSeraphim> Fudge, it seems that some peeps wishing to join #cvdungeon are having issues. I believe they may have fallen victim to some old ranged ban
[13:29:01] <FireSeraphim> allow me to link you to a forum topic where the grievance has been reported
[13:29:01] Fudge [Fudge@staff/Fudge] has just joined #cvdungeon
[13:29:01] Common channels for Fudge [Fudge@staff/Fudge]: #smbx, #cvdungeon, +#help
[13:29:23] <FireSeraphim> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,5727.msg124897.html#new
[13:31:54] <FireSeraphim> Fudge?
[13:31:55] <Fudge> You could clear the bans on that channel; /cs clear #cvdungeon bans
[13:32:04] <Fudge> I believe that would work, though I've never needed to use it
[13:32:29] <FireSeraphim> I think it's more than a mere channel ban since the channel itself is merely a day old
[13:32:42] <FireSeraphim> It might be a network ranged ban
[13:33:08] <FireSeraphim> although I will try your suggested command first and see if that generates results
[13:33:26] <Fudge> What ISP are the users connecting from?
[13:33:36] <Fudge> Or, even better, could I have IPs/hostnames?
[13:33:49] <Fudge> I can check to see if there's any ban affecting them, though it's unlikely.
[13:37:22] <Fudge> It could also be an issue with the client they're using
[13:37:42] <Fudge> If you can provide me with logs from their clients' console window, it would also help me
[13:38:01] <Fudge> Clients are disconnected straight away and a reason is displayed if they are banned
[13:38:15] <FireSeraphim> They're mostly using the standard barebones irc client that's available at irc.ircnode.net
[13:38:50] <Fudge> You mean the web client at http://chat.ircno.de
[13:38:51] <Fudge> ?
[13:39:01] <FireSeraphim> yes
[13:39:52] <Fudge> If you could tell the users that are having issues to pastebin what's in the status tab on that client and give it to me, I'd be able to see if there's an issue with actually connecting
[13:40:45] <FireSeraphim> I have already PM Phoenix7786 on the forums, I'm just waiting for him to reply (and yes he is on the forums right now)
[13:41:08] <Fudge> Sure, PM me when you have additional information and I'll look into this for you.
[13:41:19] <FireSeraphim> understood

In essence I cannot help you guys unless you help me by giving me some critical information.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:53:45 AM by FireSeraphim »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Running google Chrome on Windows 7, 64 bit.

Status
[14:38] qwebirc v0.90
[14:38] Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Chris Porter and the qwebirc project.
[14:38] http://www.qwebirc.org
[14:38] Licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 2.

Error: Could not connect to remote server.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »
+1
*idles in 10th IRC channel at the same time*

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »
Yaaaay! I'll try to IRC up when I get some free time :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »
Right now its gaving me a "403 Forbidden" error when I try to acess irc.ircnode.org, thats strange because yesterday I acessed it fine.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
Right now its gaving me a "403 Forbidden" error when I try to acess irc.ircnode.org, thats strange because yesterday I acessed it fine.

Weird, I'll let the people in the chat know.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
+1
Found the problem, its http://irc.ircnode.NET and not http://irc.ircnode.ORG like they said in some posts here. :p
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: IRC