Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Halloween! 2014  (Read 14251 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »
I recently found out that Jeff Goldblum starred as Ichabod Crane in a TV version in the 1980s, which sounds like fantastic casting. I remember the "woman in white" story from the PBS version creeping me out as a kid. I have the Disney version on VHS around here somewhere. Sleepy Hollow was one of the movies I rewatched last October, the visuals and fight choreography are enjoyable in it. Too bad it didn't give birth to any video games, then again they might have been dreadful and I still would have felt to compelled to play it/them XD.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:12:35 PM by Ratty »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 04:37:45 PM »
Thats so funny mentionin the old Sleepy Hollow movies and stuff just yesterday I DLed the 80s one with Jeff Goldblum AND the disney animated one. And of course Ive always had Tim Burtons one saved in my movies folder. Id live on that set if I could!

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »
Thats so funny mentionin the old Sleepy Hollow movies and stuff just yesterday I DLed the 80s one with Jeff Goldblum AND the disney animated one. And of course Ive always had Tim Burtons one saved in my movies folder. Id live on that set if I could!

Yeah I wanna watch the 1980 version now. Anyways here's something incredibly and oddly adorable for our members who are (single) parents.

(click to show/hide)

Source: http://1los.tumblr.com/post/55964365198/father
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:43:03 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:19 PM »
For anyone who feels like watching a creepy anime, I strongly recommend Yami Shibai. My favorite episodes are "The Talisman Woman" and "Contradiction".

I've been watching season 2 and some episodes are more funny than creepy (like in this episode where the dead old man is okay with being cheated, but when they say about how they killed his dog he gets mad LOL), but some people say that season 1 is better, I should check it.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »
I've been watching season 2 and some episodes are more funny than creepy (like in this episode where the dead old man is okay with being cheated, but when they say about how they killed his dog he gets mad LOL), but some people say that season 1 is better, I should check it.

The episodes I watched were pretty creepy. But I haven't seen any of the 2nd season.
Other than most of the first season of that though I've watched a few other movies to get into the spirit of the season. Anyone else (Abnormal Freak? I know you've got a list!) feel free to list and rate what they've watched so far-

-Spanish Dracula (1931) - Re-watched this one without subtitles for the first time. I don't speak Spanish but I've seen the English version enough to know what they're saying. One does wish Bela Lugosi had been directed with such flair.

-Pitch Black - Ehhhh. It was ok, though very predictable. And I have to deduct points for completely wasting Claudia Black. Maybe I just think she would have been better as the female lead because I'm such a Farscape fan though. I still can't see how they turned Riddick into a franchise character.

-Elvira's Haunted Hills - A send-up of Vincent Price and Roger Corman's "Poe" movies (this film is dedicated to Vincent Price in fact) and 1960s/1970s Euro-horror. It's a silly thing that feels like it takes a lot of inspiration from Mel Brooks later, not-as-good films. With a lot of jokes that are either obvious or played out. ("Elvira's french maid is fat! We can get at least 4 or 5 gags out of that right?") But then as anyone familiar with the character knows obvious and lowbrow humor is kind of Elvira's entire schlocky schtick. If you like Elvira you'll like it, but if you're not a fan of her or the aforementioned Corman or Euro-horror flicks you probably wouldn't dig this.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:46:57 PM by Ratty »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »
+1
Got some of my favorite shows just for Halloween;

The Real Ghostbusters HD "Halloween II 1/2"

That is funny that you mentioned that X. reminds me of something I am currently working on now:

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »
Fuckin' A darkmanx, fuckin' A.  8)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »
Fuckin' A darkmanx, fuckin' A.  8)

Thanks man!

Samhain was my 2nd Favorite Real Ghostbusters Villain.

#1 goes to The Boogeyman.

I also liked The Sandman.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 10:23:13 PM »
Samhain was my 2nd Favorite Real Ghostbusters Villain.

Samhain's my fave. He's listed as a class 7 entity just like Gozer. So he's quite the tough baddie.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 12:21:58 AM »
One of the highlights so far of this year's Fall/October Horrorthon was seeing Scream in a quaint little theater in Minneapolis in a nice little picturesque neighborhood and on 35mm film (doubly awesome given how crap the Blu-ray is). It's called the Trylon microcinema and has its name because the room only has 50 seats and a 20' screen. Fun, cozy atmosphere like hanging in your buddy's basement with a projector. Definitely wanna go there more; as mentioned before, Hausu will be playing there on 35mm and I hope a bunch of my friends will join for a truly memorable night.

The roster for this Saturday's movie viewing at my house has changed: Carpenter's Halloween will start 'er off, with the second film undetermined. Suggestions thrown out are Dead Alive, The Return of the Living Dead, and Hitchcock's Rope. Guess we'll decide that night.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 09:48:27 AM »
Absolutely loved Lurch's character in the 60's series. His moaning is somewhat lost in the modern translations sadly. I only ever saw a few episodes but they were funny.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 10:45:34 AM »
Halloween lands on a Friday this year, so I'm definitely hitting either NYC for the parade, or a number of Halloween Parties, depending on how much my feet can take.  Those costume boots can hurt after a while.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 01:51:38 PM »
For the psychedelic rock enthusiasts of you, as Halloween music, get your hands on some The Devil's Blood.

It's like Jefferson Airplane, but heavier and with much more satanism. Tasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFYABr8ndI 

Also, the creepy story of this band: after making what he declared was "the band's final album", the band's third album "III: Tabula Rasa or Death and the Seven Pillars", the band's guitarist Selim Lemouchi said that the band was no more. in March 2014 he took his own life. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:16:18 AM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »
Got some more films under my belt this month-

Ginger Snaps - It's well made, I can see why some consider it a classic. But... the film is a bit too dark and serious and the symbolism a bit too hit-you-over-the-head blunt and repeated for my personal taste. The whole thing also owes more than a little ungiven credit to the werewolf short story "Boobs". (Which isn't exactly an obscure tale since it won a Hugo award.) To the point that I'm almost surprised the filmmakers weren't sued.

I remembered that Abnormal Freak had marathoned the Puppet Master films one year. At least I think he did, so I decided a few marathons of my own would be a good way to finally view the series and celebrate the season.

Puppet Master - Eh, it was ok. Seen worse, seen better. It is what it says on the tin, silly 1980s killer puppet movie set in a mostly empty hotel.

Puppet Master 2
- Sucked, though the guy who played Toulon was amusing. As was the fact that (much like in part 4) characters act how the plot says they need to, not how any actual human being would. "Oh my brother was killed by a sentient puppet? Well I better not tell the Police or anything, just keep on doing my paranormal investigations pretty much like nothing happened for several more days."

Puppet Master 3: Toulon's Revenge
- By far the best of the bunch. Very imaginative and ambitious for a low-budget film, turning what started as a monster/slasher movie premise into a period piece heroic revenge tale. Who doesn't want to see killer puppets fighting the nazis?

Puppet Master 4 & 5 - Basically 2 halves of the same movie. Very goofy even for the series so far. Enjoyable for what they are if you're in the right mood. Continues to make the puppets the good guys like in part 3.

General comments - Mostly an enjoyable series with several caveats. But if you like B monster movies and stop motion animation they're worth watching. Don't go in expecting the continuity to make sense, it's pretty obvious the first 2 movies were written and filmed by the seat of someone's pants. To the point I'd say it's more sensical to think of Toulon's Revenge as a reboot and forget the first 2 films, even then some things just don't add up.

I plan to watch the other 5 before the end of the month and I'll add my comments about them later. Anyone else care to weigh in on the series or an individual entry?

EDIT: Puppet Master 6-10 are all terrible, never watch them. Especially 6 and 8.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:44:21 AM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »
+2
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything