Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Your childhood fears  (Read 9282 times)

Offline The Bizarre Trooper

• The Stardust Brawler
  • Hunter in Training
  • Nanomachines, son!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 12:37:56 PM »
I'm honestly afraid of the dark because it evokes diferrents type of fears but mostly th fear of the unknown!
Standing here, I realize
You were just like me, trying to make history.
But who's to judge the right from wrong?
When our guard is down, I think we'll both agree
That violence breeds violence,
But in the end it has to be this way.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 05:29:02 PM »
Spiders, after a very terrible incident of an entire nest falling on my head.

Yikes. I've always feared spiders as a kid (and pretty much still hate them as an adult), so I couldn't imagine how much I'd freak out over something like that.

Never liked heights, either. The first time I got up on my roof to clean the gutters, I was practically crawling, and that was only a few years back.

As a kid, I found the concept of eternal life somehow terrifying. Death isn't a great alternative, either, but just the idea of life going on with no end, ever, scared me.

I also remember my dad used to rent horror movies a lot...the slasher films of the 80s. They'd freak me out and give me nightmares, but something always compelled me to at least sneak a peek every time. I could never just leave them alone.

As an adult, I developed an intense fear of public speaking, so bad at one point that I'd dread getting haircuts because I'd have to tell the stylist how I wanted it cut. Pretty pathetic, huh? But now I'm on some pretty mild anxiety meds, and my job as a manager involves speaking in front of my direct reports every day at the start of shift. No problem at all. I get a bit nervous if I have to do more formal presentations (department meetings, etc.), but they end up going smoothly.

I also developed a fear of needles a few years ago...or rather, the pain associated with them. I'm totally okay if it's a flu shot or a TB skin test, because those don't really hurt. The ones I dread are mostly IV injections...when those hurt going in, it makes me feel nauseous, dizzy, and faint...it also makes me sweat a lot. Had this happen again recently with a cortisone injection in my shoulder, and I'll probably have to go back to get another one. Still not as bad as an IV.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:36:29 PM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 11:15:34 PM »
I also developed a fear of needles a few years ago...or rather, the pain associated with them. I'm totally okay if it's a flu shot or a TB skin test, because those don't really hurt. The ones I dread are mostly IV injections...when those hurt going in, it makes me feel nauseous, dizzy, and faint...it also makes me sweat a lot. Had this happen again recently with a cortisone injection in my shoulder, and I'll probably have to go back to get another one. Still not as bad as an IV.

What about acupuncture? I myself hate needles. I even had one of those very large (and long) needles that they use for testing out muscle reflex. it was put into my upper thigh and I had to flex it...T_T  But once I went through some acupuncture treatments I was actually quite relaxed. Heck, I even fell asleep through one of the sessions. That would never happen with any other needle.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 08:49:09 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm really "afraid" of anything or not.  I mean, there certainly things I really hate/dislike and avoid.  For example, I don't know if I'm really afraid of spiders, but I don't have any desire to touch or play with them, and the bigger they are and closer they are to being in my house, the more I want them dead.  I don't know that I'm really afraid of ticks, but considering the fact that I found one in a very...um...personal area early one morning when I was a kid I really don't like them, and I am careful to avoid places or activities where I might get one.  I suppose you could argue that I have some germaphobic tendencies, and I have a bit of a space bubble.

To me those are just things I hate/dislike and try to avoid, but I guess they could potentially be considered a fear?

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 11:45:50 PM »
What about acupuncture? I myself hate needles. I even had one of those very large (and long) needles that they use for testing out muscle reflex. it was put into my upper thigh and I had to flex it...T_T  But once I went through some acupuncture treatments I was actually quite relaxed. Heck, I even fell asleep through one of the sessions. That would never happen with any other needle.

Acupuncture sounds like it would be fine...those are really small ones they use for that, right?
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 12:18:12 AM »
Acupuncture sounds like it would be fine...those are really small ones they use for that, right?

Yup. And they don't go in very deep either. Which is also a relief  :)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 10:51:19 PM »
I hate spider webs and don't dare to see them because I happened to be sticked by them when I was a kid (I 'm not afraid of spider itself though)

Dogs also frightened my younger self since a dog with giant and strong body was barking at me constantly, it almost bit me when I was about to find the "goods" which I had appointed to find out with my fellow childhood friends and believed it was there , "guarded" by that dog *like a typical 3D action game boss*
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 08:18:48 PM »
+1
Porcelain dolls at my grandma's house. I was convinced their facial expressions changed out of the corner of my eye.

I'd never ever live in a house with those things, no sir.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
We probably all do the ninja thing when we accidentally walk through a web...am I right?! ;-)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 05:58:03 AM »
Porcelain dolls at my grandma's house. I was convinced their facial expressions changed out of the corner of my eye.

I'd never ever live in a house with those things, no sir.

Did you see the Seinfeld episode where Susan (George's SO) has a doll that looks exactly like his mother?

Old Dolls have creeped me out ever since then :/
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »
We probably all do the ninja thing when we accidentally walk through a web...am I right?! ;-)

Yes...  :'(

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »
My fears are a bit tame insofar as I don't know if I have any that make me reel in disgust/terror all the time.

I can stand looking at spiders - I even tried to hold a one-sided conversation with one before (if you ever worked the grave shift at a store, you'd understand). And if I see one on the wall, I can look at it just fine. Don't mind them running around the walls. But if I see one in the shower or sink, I'll turn on the water and flush it down the drain. If I try to be nice and lure one up on a paper or into a bowl so I can release it outside, if it gets out of the bowl or climbs too far up the paper toward me, I'll spaz out.

I'm worse with moths. I won't even try to save a moth or talk to one. I hate moths, but not really terrified. But they're so big, I generally try to shoo them away - and spaz out when they fly close to my face.

I used to be terrified of ghosts (saw Ghostbusters when I was 5, I think that was the source of my fears). Nowadays I get jumpy at shadows and I hate the dark because of my fear of ghosts as a child, but for the most part I'm over it now.

Decapitation has always been a big no-no for me, though. From horror movies to shows like Gam eOf Thrones, to shit like Faces Of Death, and even in anime or just paintings of it - both human and animal alike - I cannot stand decapitations. I can force myself to look at them, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have uncontrollable nervous twitches when I do. If something had a head, it should continue having a head indefinitely. In real life (as opposed to in film), I can't stand viscera either. I won't even look at roadkill.

I might have a minor fear of [human] corpses. I mean, other than my grandpa's and possibly my mom's cousin's, I don't think I've even looked into coffins. Might have stemmed from when I was watching a parade sitting in front of the funeral home and I had to take a piss, so I went into the funeral home looking for the restroom and walked into an "occupied" viewing room accidentally. But if i see them on TV or whatever, I don't mind.

Biggest fear is my cat getting outside (sans kitty carrier/tote). My cat's an indoor cat because I don't trust the outside world with her.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 10:21:03 AM »
Did anyone ever see the commercial for the postal service when they first had the boxes with that, "If it fits, it ships." thing going?  It had a creepy little clown doll (porcelain too?  I dunno).  I always thought it was funny, but I guess if those sort of things bother you it may not be so amusing.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 06:44:29 AM »
Back when I was a kid in the 90's there was a Russian TV company with the creepiest opening and logo to their programmes ever.
They had a statue of an Asian man with a frog on his head as a logo. Most disturbing logo ever. I was always turning away from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsyKdgmUzQE
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
I feel like I read or watched something about creepy openings and logos of TV companies or something...maybe it was something someone here posted (in another thread) but I only have vague memories of it so I'm not really sure... :-/

Tags: