Poll

Which do you like better?

the really, really funky bloody tears
6 (20.7%)
the  extremely catchy theme of simon
23 (79.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Bloody tears vs Thme of simon belmont  (Read 8367 times)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Bloody tears vs Thme of simon belmont
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 05:37:50 AM »
I feel the same way.  I've yet to hear a remix of Bloody Tears that retained the almost eerie quality the original had. If I knew more about music structure and terminology I could put to words exactly what it is the original has that all of the remixes (both in the series and fan-made) I've heard lack because I KNOW it's actually a sound/structure thing but... >_>

This link has all of the versions:
Castlevania Music: BLOODY TEARS COLLECTION

I can't express myself with music terminology either, but the NES version is just so darn catchy and epic. Maybe it has something to do with the drums, or the bass... dunno. The one in Super CV4 sounds downright melancholic and sad in comparision. It's beautiful, but something gets lost in the translation IMO.

As for the others I don't know what to say. They just don't give me the same feeling. The Bloodlines version is especially blah. Which is weird since the rest of the Bloodlines soundtrack is awesome. I also cannot stand the version in Akumajo Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku - Nocturne in the Moonlight.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 07:21:11 AM »
The one in Super CV4 sounds downright melancholic and sad in comparision.

This goes for pretty much everything in SCV4. It's so uniquely atmospheric that when I played it for the first time, it felt like playing the last Castlevania that's ever going to be made.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
Bloody Tears is used in:
-CV2 (original)
-Haunted Castle (very close to original)
-Bloodlines (essentially original, but instrumentation weakens it)
-Super CV4 (intro is changed, some chords are different)
-X68000-Rondo/DXX (Rock version, added a guitar riff)
-Rondo/DXX (added a n organ requiem at the end, thus establishing it as a chapel tune)
-Nocturne in the Moonlight (absolutely different!)
-Legends (Super PowerRock, very different chords)
-Dawn of Sorrow (with some slight chord changes, it's mostly the same as Rondo of Blood)
-CV64/LoD (just an organ riff, though in the crypt in the villa it uses very eerie chords)
-Judgment. (Very nice rock version)
...did I forget any?

Theme of Simon has been used in:
-Super CV4 (original, has four-note intro)
-X68000 (this version has the fanfare as its intro, plus brasses in the 2nd section)
-Bloodlines (similar to X68000, some slight chord changes)
-LoD (just a small fanfare when Henry rescues the children)
-Circle of the Moon (unused but in the game data, just a fanfare)
-Portrait of Ruin (similar to the MIDI power pro disc version)
...did I forget any others?

For both themes, I did not mention other disc versions.

EDIT: Fixed a little reverse I did, there. ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:55:24 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 08:10:01 AM »
The Dawn and Rondo versions sound pretty different to me. Only similarity is they use that organ sound in it, but the tone of the intro is different from usual. it sounds almost optimistic or holy or something. Cant quite express it.

The best version ive heard so far is the Rondo version. Although Dawn's comes in close second.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »
I agree with Rondo having the best version of Bloody Tears. It's fresh enough without compromising the mood of the original. It's, however, a tad more "epic" and less like a theme of a desperate fight against time. But it suits the setting better.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
Rondo has the best Bloody Tears, but Super Castlevania has second best since MAP C is the intro to the song.
As for Simon's Quest... I thing HD and The Arcade has the best versions, HD has a Rock Orchestra Version that replicates the original while the Arcade has a more cut loose version.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline JooohnShaft

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
wow, so many votes for theme of simon! some great trivia here!

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 02:05:41 AM »
This link has all of the versions:
Castlevania Music: BLOODY TEARS COLLECTION

I can't express myself with music terminology either, but the NES version is just so darn catchy and epic. Maybe it has something to do with the drums, or the bass... dunno. The one in Super CV4 sounds downright melancholic and sad in comparision. It's beautiful, but something gets lost in the translation IMO.

As for the others I don't know what to say. They just don't give me the same feeling. The Bloodlines version is especially blah. Which is weird since the rest of the Bloodlines soundtrack is awesome. I also cannot stand the version in Akumajo Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku - Nocturne in the Moonlight.

Links by the same guy let us all take a look at versions of both we like/dislike

Castlevania Music: DANCE OF THE HOLY MAN (THEME OF SIMON BELMONT) COLLECTION

Also       
7 Deadly Bits covers Castlevania IV 'Theme of Simon' Guitar  Yes I voted for Simon's theme but it is odd how both songs related to him in some way.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »
Simon's theme, hands down. It's probably my favorite song in the series.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »
Bloody Tears is used in:
-CV2 (original)
-Haunted Castle (very close to original)
-Bloodlines (essentially original, but instrumentation weakens it)
-Super CV4 (intro is changed, some chords are different)
-X68000-Rondo/DXX (Rock version, added a guitar riff)
-Rondo/DXX (added a n organ requiem at the end, thus establishing it as a chapel tune)
-Nocturne in the Moonlight (absolutely different!)
-Legends (Super PowerRock, very different chords)
-Dawn of Sorrow (with some slight chord changes, it's mostly the same as Rondo of Blood)
-CV64/LoD (just an organ riff, though in the crypt in the villa it uses very eerie chords)
...did I forget any?

Theme of Simon has been used in:
-Super CV4 (original, has four-note intro)
-X68000 (this version has the fanfare as its intro, plus brasses in the 2nd section)
-Bloodlines (similar to X68000, some slight chord changes)
-LoD (just a small fanfare when Henry rescues the children)
-Circle of the Moon (unused but in the game data, just a fanfare)
-Portrait of Ruin (similar to the MIDI power pro disc version)
-Judgment. (Very nice rock version)
...did I forget any others?

For both themes, I did not mention other disc versions.
Actually, Bloody Tears was used in Judgment, but not Simon's Theme. It was Vampire Killer. ;)

Offline JooohnShaft

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »
hey, fans of theme of Simon, listen up! check out king baldwin's version of t.o.s
it is BOSS! 

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 07:15:27 AM »
Argh, I had it backwards (it was Carmilla's theme).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline JooohnShaft

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
@Jorge: I thought something was wrong there, but anyways good list.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 11:56:41 AM »
I edited my post.
And yeah I did not mention fan versions, Konami disc arrangements, etc. 'cuz there are just too many out there.

Also, it's not "Dance of the Holy Man".  Someone made that up about a fan version and it's bad because people can (and do) get it mixed up with Richter's Ending Theme from Rondo of Blood "March of the Holy Man" (an awesome ending tune, by the way).
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags: