Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LOD's camera  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: February 27, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
I don't think I realized that Legacy of Darkness has camera controls mapped to the D-pad. Maybe I did long ago, but since it's in such an out-of-reach location, I never bothered to use them.

I have a GameCube-to-N64 controller adapter from raphnet and figured it'd be fun to map the D-pad to the C-stick. The default adapter controls feel really funky with LOD, since many actions are tied to the C-stick, so I switched those around, too. I feel pretty confident about this being a good control scheme, so if you also have this raphnet adapter and wanna check it out, here's the code:

XZBYL BAZBBL ZXL ZXXL ZXYL ZYAL ZYBL ZBXL ZBAL ZBBAL ZBBAL BAAZXBL ZXAL START

In addition to putting the camera controls to the C-stick, it also maps thusly:

Y: secondary attack
X: pick up item/interact
Z: throw subweapon
L: lock-on/fix camera
R: slide/crouch
Dpad-up: first-person view/change camera style
Dpad-down: Cornell werewolf mode

B and A are the same as on N64.

The controls work for CV64 as well, just there is no manual camera. Holding Dpad-up will let you use the C-stick to look around in first-person view, however.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »
I never used the camera controls in LoD. Unless it was by accident then I'd have to reset it  :P
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 06:35:12 PM »
I'd use those camera controls. They were a godsend... though the camera work was well improved over CV64.
I'd very quickly hold on to the middle handle of the controller and use my **right** hand and cross over by letting go from the buttons to very quickly change the camera to what I'd like, then return my hand to the right grip.  It was clunky as fuck (It'd be a bit before the PSX would fix the location of a potential analog by having them on the left and right, instead of the middle), but it works.  I'd usually do this in the middle of an invincible attack, such as a Slide.

So Slide - let go - change camera - return to grip - and by then the slide would have completed.  It was better than running around blind to behind-the-camera attacks.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:32:50 PM »
Sounds complicated, lol. I got so used to playing CV64 without camera controls that I've always played LOD the same way, Ocarina of Time–style by frequently fixing the camera behind the shoulders. It was a re-revelation to find the D-pad had a function in LOD.

I've wanted a remaster of LOD for some time, including all content that didn't get ported over from CV64. Now I want that but with modern camera controls (think Breath of the Wild smoothness). Somebody call up Nightdive Studios on the phone and get them to talk with Konami.

I have a Horipad Mini, it's nice for 3D action-adventure games. The placement of the D-pad would make using LOD's camera much easier. And I guess some company named Retro-Bit is going to reprint this controller? Might be worth picking a few up.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:36:43 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »
I've also played LoD without camera controls. Right from the start, when it came out, I assumed there were no camera controls, and I never got too much use out of the different camera modes in either CV64 or LoD. I don't think I even learned there were D-pad camera controls until sometime in the last ten years, and now I experiment with them. They are useful, but not requisite. I never had any problems playing it without the camera controls. (Like I said, I knew there were camera mode options, though, and I assumed that's what people were talking about in the past.) With Castlevania 64, I always used the R-button camera correction technique to center it behind the character, much like Banjo-Kazooie. I actually still like Castlevania 64's default camera a little better, I think, because it's not so close-in focused. Castlevania 64 is a more cinematic game on the whole, too, in my opinion. LoD, despite all the interesting new content, feels a bit more slapped together on the whole. Anyway, impressive that 3D camera control was in LoD when it wasn't in a lot of games at the time. I really would have loved to see more from this team with 3D Castlevania. They were on the right track overall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8br-fTGrErM

Offline NagoriyukiSlayer

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 09:36:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuL6cJPz3Nk

WHO THE FUCK WAS SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT'S HOW YOU'RE...

*inhales*....*exhales*

...It was the late 90's, devs didn't know how to make 3D games age well, and didn't know that analog sticks > d-pads and freakin' C-Buttons.

Tags:

anything