Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1101940 times)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1620 on: November 21, 2015, 05:09:31 AM »
One question; how do you guys do this shit??? Lol im a good artist but can't do sprites for shit lol. Do you guys draw these first then resize and add color from there? My sis hooked me up with a Wacom tablet so drawing wouldnt be a problem.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1621 on: November 21, 2015, 06:32:01 AM »
One question; how do you guys do this shit??? Lol im a good artist but can't do sprites for shit lol. Do you guys draw these first then resize and add color from there? My sis hooked me up with a Wacom tablet so drawing wouldnt be a problem.

drawing or spriting?

To be honest most of it is practice, practice and practice.
A good starting point would be to take a simple sprite and study it, try to reproduce it and then alter it a bit.
In pixel art it's all about trying to give every single pixel meaning. Some stuff like dithering (that I still suck at) serve as illusions to make the viewer think there are more colors in there.

A fun thing you could do is to go back a couple pages (like 10 or so) where I posted much earlier versions of the sprite I am working on now, you can see me gradually picking up tricks and improving not only the spriting but also the animation skills. Sprite don't have to start out perfect, it's like a painting where you keep making iteration upon iteration until you call it quits I suppose.

Here it is. I did nothing much. Just edited the leg and the cape's lining. The darkest color was indeed not useful.

Thanks for the help, I ended up with a pretty similar result. Your shading is still more subtle than mine, I guess I still have to work on improving that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 07:02:44 AM by Donvermicelli »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1622 on: November 21, 2015, 07:10:09 AM »
I dunno how they do it either! Its always baffled me. Im good with color and putting things together but Im no artist by any stretch. Ive been tryin to improve my spriting for my own games I work on but its a constant struggle. Im limiting mself to 8x8 with the db32 palette. Sometimes I get a halfway decent result lol

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1623 on: November 21, 2015, 07:20:05 AM »

Well when i started the 1st thing i do was edit sprites that exist, this help me i think to understend how it works, for the animations i have problems but most of the time i use 2 methods, the 1st its doing and watching a video or gif of something similar of what im trying to do and the 2nd that sometimes is more easy its to transform a gif in images and grab frame by frame and with that i can make a "good" animation.

Like Donvermicelli say its practice, i dont know how to do a lot of things but you can see how my art changed and are better and thats because i try to do something when i can.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1624 on: November 21, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »

Everything I do is on the old fashioned way: Pixel per pixel on MS Paint. I use my laptop's touchpad to do pixel art. I don't have a mouse, but it's much easier with a mouse, I can say that much.

I never used a (reduced) drawing as a base. And, like Jop, I started editing sprites from old video games directly on the game's memory. This helped me understand a lot of things at the same time: The value of a single pixel, the value of a low color count, how to make most of such a tiny space, implying things that aren't really there etc etc.

One of the things that I dropped that vastly improved my technique are outlines. I don't draw using outlines anymore. I do color clusters and then I detail each cluster independently (just like you do on a painting).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:44:16 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1625 on: November 22, 2015, 01:55:45 AM »
One of the things that I dropped that vastly improved my technique are outlines. I don't draw using outlines anymore. I do color clusters and then I detail each cluster independently (just like you do on a painting).

This seems like something I would like to try doing but would you still at least draw stick figures when making animations?

Everything I do is on the old fashioned way: Pixel per pixel on MS Paint. I use my laptop's touchpad to do pixel art. I don't have a mouse, but it's much easier with a mouse, I can say that much.

Also I use GIMP, I like it because it's simpler than photoshop and all that I really use are the layers anyways. (drawing limb by limb and then assembling sprites can be a timesaver when making animations)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1626 on: November 22, 2015, 04:21:19 AM »
This seems like something I would like to try doing but would you still at least draw stick figures when making animations?

Most times I don't. I do one big silhouette of the character already on the poses and fix it as I go along.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1627 on: November 22, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »
So I was planning for three different attacks for Alucard; First one is based on his SOTN teleport attack sans the teleport:

It's mostly done I think might edit some shading here and there as I work on the others.

Attack 2: (quick attack executed while running)

Attack 3: (crouch attack like in CV3)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1628 on: November 22, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »
So I was planning for three different attacks for Alucard; First one is based on his SOTN teleport attack sans the teleport:

It's mostly done I think might edit some shading here and there as I work on the others.

Attack 2: (quick attack executed while running)

Attack 3: (crouch attack like in CV3)

I like alll this. The only issue I have is when he turns his head doesn't move.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1629 on: November 22, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »

Nor does the front-most leg.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1630 on: November 22, 2015, 02:22:32 PM »

I personally don't find that to be an issue. His head doesn't turn because he's still looking in the same direction (the enemy) to attack. The leg doesn't turn because he's leaning on it to keep his posture.

However it does look a tiny bit strange he turns one leg and not the other. But the animation is good, nonetheless.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1631 on: November 22, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »
I personally don't find that to be an issue. His head doesn't turn because he's still looking in the same direction (the enemy) to attack. The leg doesn't turn because he's leaning on it to keep his posture.

However it does look a tiny bit strange he turns one leg and not the other. But the animation is good, nonetheless.

My suggestion is for you to act out the actual movement. You head would naturally turn with the direction your torso is turning. Maybe that's why it looks out to me.

Either way, I think acting out the movement yourself before you sprite will help you in a long ways on animating.

What parentage are you at finishing Alucard?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1632 on: November 23, 2015, 04:55:33 AM »
Here, have some more monster doodles:

(click to show/hide)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1633 on: November 23, 2015, 05:35:25 AM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
:V
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1634 on: November 23, 2015, 06:38:50 AM »

Any trained fighter would never turn his eyes from his opponent, as theplottwist correctly pointed out this is why he doesn't move his head.
This entire attack is a pivot, he rotates around his standing leg slightly to make way for his consequent attack while still aiming with his eyesight.

My suggestion is for you to act out the actual movement. You head would naturally turn with the direction your torso is turning. Maybe that's why it looks out to me.

Either way, I think acting out the movement yourself before you sprite will help you in a long ways on animating.
Naturally you would move yes, attack moves executed by trained fighters are far from natural though. More often than not active training is to suppress natural urges in favor of better movement.
Also I do actually act out almost any move I draw, I film myself and use the footage as a basis to determine key frames in the animation.

What parentage are you at finishing Alucard?
It's hard to give a percentage since different animations require different amounts of work.
Here's an overview though:

Walking anim: done (requires reshading)
Crouch anim: done (requires reshading)
Attack anim1: done
Attack anim2: Not started yet
Attack anim3(crouch): About 30%
Fireball attack: done
Jump: Not started yet
Stairs: Not started yet
Injure: About 30%
Transform: About 90% (requires reshading and some fixes)

anything