Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why is the Devil depicted with a goat's head?  (Read 22793 times)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
Re: Why is the Devil depicted with a goat's head?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »
X, I'm not completely sure what you're saying. I wasn't taking a jab at your faith or anything, if that is the impression you got. I just pointed out that angels are capable of emotions very different from love. Also, the cultural depiction of them has changed radically. The modern version is usually an attractive human with wings, clad in white and so on. Not sure where that style started, but angels were originally described as looking pretty damn scary and/or weird. Along the lines of this:

If your point was that your personal belief is that angels have always been just full of love, that's cool. My point is, common mythology would disagree with that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:33:44 PM by A-Yty »

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
The original angels were closer to Sumerian and Babylonian deities, even said so in the Old Testament. Even Paul in the book of Revelation referred to them as hideous beings that bring forth destruction upon the Earth and lament the sins of Man. Love does not mean without punishment or anger.

As for angels being perfect, that was discounted in some of the books that were banned from the Bible. Although it does seem kinda odd they'd allow one angel to be a fallen angel but then never really go into how the other angels fell. Although again, it's based on other religions.

Aside from Christianity being nothing but a political tool ever since the Roman Empire's adoption of it, the fact is Judeo-Christian beliefs over the millenia were just other principalities' beliefs bastardized to further someone's agenda. The best way to establish the foundations of an self-determined populace is to establish a religion and belief system within which to corral the citizens.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
X, I'm not completely sure what you're saying. I wasn't taking a jab at your faith or anything, if that is the impression you got. I just pointed out that angels are capable of emotions very different from love. Also, the cultural depiction of them has changed radically. The modern version is usually an attractive human with wings, clad in white and so on. Not sure where that style started, but angels were originally described as looking pretty damn scary and/or weird

Don't worry too much A-Yty  ;) I'm not offended as I don't belong to any real religious faith. I have my own beliefs but it's kinda a mesh-mash of spirituality along with other tid-bits. Essentially if something rings true for me then I'll accept it. I guess in that sense you could call me a Gnostic as that's what I'm doing; seeking knowledge. I'm merely giving out facts that I have learned about the different religions and spiritual beliefs. and how the old and outdated ideas contradict all the new evidence that's starting to re-emerge. The purpose is not to offend anyone but know-doubt some would see it that way.

If your point was that your personal belief is that angels have always been just full of love, that's cool. My point is, common mythology would disagree with that.

And you'd be correct. Mythology is constantly being rewritten over and over again. What was yesterday's terrible evil could be tomorrow's savior (Hellboy comes to mind  8)). Unfortunately most of the rewriting is done by those whom have an agenda. Something of personal gain, power, greed or otherwise. And it's those people who should mind there own business rather then bringing about more confusion when all that we really need is a simplistic positive message.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Lone Wolf

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »
+2
O.O??

Uhmm.... I like boobs.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »
O.O??

Uhmm.... I like boobs.

Me too!! :D
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
Same here!  :D

I also believe that the Devil also has inspirations from the Zodiac sign; Capricorn.

Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »
Head like a goat, smells like fish.

My ex was the Devil!
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Lone Wolf

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 08:08:13 PM »
Me too!! :D

Same here!  :D

Something tells me i'm in the wrong thread though... :p
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:55:48 PM by Lone Wolf »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 11:48:23 AM »
This may seem like some religious fodder but I once remember a similar convo about this. I vaguely remember something like cats protecting goats (goats being the devil I assume). I just wanted to share it as I truly am not savvy at religion. Maybe someone can clarify this a little more
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 06:21:16 PM »
+2
I've not heard of this before but I do know that Cats are a sacred animal. In Egyptian mythology they are guardians of the underworld. Most likely what you heard was something out of Christian mythology. But I do know that both cats and Goats aren't evil nor have they ever symbolized evil. In fact if it wasn't for animals such as cats the black plague would have been much worse then what it was. The cats would kill the rodents that carried the disease and as such the insects wouldn't be able to transmit it over to the person because of the lack of rodents. But one the main reasons why the plague hit Europe with such ferocity was because the church believed cats to be familiars of the Devil or the Devil in animal form, and thus had them purged. The same was true for bathing as washing yourself was seen as a pagan thing and the church seriously cracked down on it.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 05:10:37 AM »
Thanks! That's an interesting bit of stuff. It all (religion) seems so out-stretched and jumbled to me. All the entities and beliefs, where does it all begin? That is an entirely different subject though.
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »
I believe at some period French nobles believed showering is bad for the skin so they never showered (including royals) and that's how modern perfume was invented.  :rollseyes:
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »
They also wore wigs to hide the fact that they had such disgusting hair due to not washing it. I'm sure you can imagine the load of dandruff and head lice crawling over their scalp  :P  Most likely to avoid this they cut all of their hair off their heads and put on wigs.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 02:44:56 AM »
They also wore wigs to hide the fact that they had such disgusting hair due to not washing it. I'm sure you can imagine the load of dandruff and head lice crawling over their scalp  :P  Most likely to avoid this they cut all of their hair off their heads and put on wigs.

The ancient Egyptians also shaved their head and wore wigs to prevent lice.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
True dat. Although the reasons behind the Egyptian choice of wearing wigs were different then their European counterparts. The common problem was head lice and dandruff. However the Egyptians weren't under the grip of the church, and they bathed on a regular basis as they knew about proper hygiene so those things weren't such a big issue. But the desert environment in which they lived was the enemy of their hair. All that heat, sweat, wind and sand. So it was much easier just to shave it all off rather then keeping it clean every couple of hours or so.

Tags:

anything