Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The best movies EVARRRRRR  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
After watching the genius that is Fight Club for the first time, I came to a conclusion that there are so many great movies that I haven't seen. You know that moment when your friends are talking about a movie, and you ask: "What movie are you talking about?"
And they say: "No way, I can't believe you didn't watch xyxyz, it's da best movie EVARRR!"

Anyway, what are the greatest films that you have seen, and by greatest I mean epic masterpieces with genius plot, great characters and an ending which makes you say: "wow" and just numbly stare at the screen, overwhelmed by what you have seen?

My examples for such films are: 

Fight Club
Falling Down
Requiem for a Dream
American History X

Well, that's what I remember right now. Any recommendations?
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
I thought Fight Club was only mediocre. Maybe I should watch it again.

Anyways, here's my greatest list in no particular order

Blade Runner (Final Cut or Directors Cut, theatrical version is very inferior)
Grave of the Fireflies
Millennium Actress
My Neighbor Totoro (greatest children's move ever)
Lord of War
Fireworks
Casablanca
Let the Right One In
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The Great Dictator
Come and See
Rebel Without a Cause
Yojimbo
The Seven Samurai
Triumph of the Will (This is a Nazi propaganda movie, but it is the greatest propaganda movie ever)
The Battleship Potemkin
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Sunset Boulevard
Forest Gump
Citizen Kane
Dr. Zhivago
Dr. Strangelove

There are other great ones I just can't think of right now, but these are definitely movies everyone should see.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »
I don't think you got my point. The idea of this thread is not about your favorite movies.
It's about movies that are so epic it blows your mind!  :o

All of the films you listed are good, some more, some less.

But I am looking for films which draws you into the story, to the point where you can't stop watching, as the psychological / philosophical  contexts in them are so unique.

The godfather, for example, is a great movie. But it's a three-hour-long stretched melodrama in which you fall asleep halfway through! So no, I don't mean that kind of movie.  
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 12:46:49 PM »
Those are the ones that are masterpieces.

I have seen hundreds and hundreds of movies. Thats a pretty small list.

In fact, Blade Runner, My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Dr. Stragelove, Casablanca, The Great Dictator, Come and See, and others are also on Roger Ebert's Great Movies List.

Here are few examples of why I picked them. Dr. Zhivago for instance has a pretty run of the mill story when summarized, but the work on the sets, the cinematography (the use of mirrors is astounding), and the direction, make it an incredibly beautiful movie to watch. Grave of the Fireflies is perhaps the most emotionally powerful movie ever made, and Fireworks carefully deals with the trauma of losing a child and hopeless, and Millennium Actress combines beautiful images that just seem to flow perfectly with its score. Blade Runner doesn't really need explanation.

The godfather, for example, is a great movie. But it's a three-hour-long stretched melodrama in which you fall asleep halfway through! So no, I don't mean that kind of movie. 

If a movie is so boring that you fall asleep, its not a great movie. I actually haven't seen Godfather so I can't really comment on it.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »
The godfather series is great, but I don't think it's a best evar movie like most people think.

For me.....

The Sound of Music
Shawshank Redemption

There are other great movies, but I don't think there are many that would be as good as those 2 to me.

Edit: Dude, Harrycomb, I think you should rewatch Fight Club, it was very good imo. Definitely not mediocre... though it's one of those one time around watch more than a masterpiece. Like the Six Sense in a way.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:57:47 PM by Kale »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »
I still can't get over Guyver 2: Dark Hero. THe Guyver-Zoanoid fight was awesome.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: