Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What do you think of Cox-sama?  (Read 27255 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
It seems Dave Cox is as much of a lightning rod of criticism as IGA. What do you personally think of him? Does he get too much heat from the fans?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
Both are human and both make mistakes. Both deliberately and honestly.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »
He has lied before so I can't really say that I like him. It is almost expected in a way though. His job depends on him selling enough of his game. I liked IGA more but what do I know maybe IGA had a secret darkside. Seems like most people do.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
COX is arrogant & has insulted the fan base, by essentially saying "you guys don't matter anymore, we want new fans."

IGA remains humble & always has, and i'm sure he would've acknowledged the 25th Anniversary with a game or Konamistyle package.

COX acknowledged the 25th through a few tweets and nothing else.

IGA respected the games that came before him (except for Legends) by trying to create a cohesive timeline.

COX doesn't seem to realize what made the old games special, not even acknowledging the little things we love, such as hearts coming out of candles.

IGA is not afraid to wear a hat & carry a whip with him, everywhere he goes.

COX is bald & has no fashion sense.

COX wants big budget Castlevanias but unfortunately has to sacrifice certain elements of what makes the series special & unique.

IGA acknowledges his faults & is receptive to criticism, and always takes into account the little things we like (hearts coming out of candles)

COX lied to us about QTEs.

IGA lied to us about 1999.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »
Cox isn't a bad person per se (nobody is perfect lets be honest here) I see him as a well intentioned extremist, he want's to bring Castlevania to the forefront and make it relevant to the public but he's going about it the wrong way(sacrificing tradition for cash). Sort of like a Tales of villian who wants to save the world by killing everyone in the process.

IGA seemed to be more dedicated to his job but his quest to try to top Symphony of the Night over and over again was getting tiring to some people, especially Konami.

I liked IGA more but what do I know maybe IGA had a secret darkside. Seems like most people do.

Well there was the whole "sexist" thing.

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:51:24 AM »
COX is arrogant & has insulted the fan base, by essentially saying "you guys don't matter anymore, we want new fans."

IGA remains humble & always has, and i'm sure he would've acknowledged the 25th Anniversary with a game or Konamistyle package.

COX acknowledged the 25th through a few tweets and nothing else.

IGA respected the games that came before him (except for Legends) by trying to create a cohesive timeline.

COX doesn't seem to realize what made the old games special, not even acknowledging the little things we love, such as hearts coming out of candles.

IGA is not afraid to wear a hat & carry a whip with him, everywhere he goes.

COX is bald & has no fashion sense.

COX wants big budget Castlevanias but unfortunately has to sacrifice certain elements of what makes the series special & unique.

IGA acknowledges his faults & is receptive to criticism, and always takes into account the little things we like (hearts coming out of candles)

COX lied to us about QTEs.

IGA lied to us about 1999.

Very well written but I have to ask. Did IGA really lie about the 1999 game? Or did he just never get a chance to make it because LoS began development.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »
It seems Dave Cox is as much of a lightning rod of criticism as IGA.

He has it great compared to IGA who has been a virtual spitting cup for years.

He has a used car salesman aura. He has said things that aren't true. Maybe he's a nice person but it doesn't show in his work. IGA may have made mistakes as a producer, but to me he has always seemed like a genuinely nice guy trying his best.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:58:13 AM by A-Yty »

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: What do you think of Cox-sama?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »
Well, for one, I wouldn't give him the suffix -sama.  He isn't Japanese.  And besides, he isn't too special.  The only reason he gets so much flack is that his game wasn't CV enough.  Yes, his game was great, but I still see it a CV in name only.  Cox is a good game developer, but is like any "good salesman".  He over inflates the good points and either plays down or lies about the negatives.  Now then, if he listens to our criticism regarding LoS and keeps that in mind when making the sequel, then I will respect him.  If he just ignores the criticism, I will never respect him.  I'll still play the game,  I will never say I respect him.

IGA, on the other hand, has never truly lied to us.  He dropped hints as to what actually happens in 1999, but never actually said anything about working on such a game.  Plus, he as for the most part stayed true the time line.  The only problem I have with him is his method with making games (Gameplay first, then story).  If he did story first and then developed gameplay, then he wouldn't likely get as much flack from fans.  Plus, with every game, he changes the battle system.  I like metroidvanias and I like what he did with LoI gameplaywise.  LoI had no leveling at all.  There were max up items for hp and hearts and you could buy armor.  Now then, if he just applied that to future metroidvanias, they would be more difficult and would require skill like classicalvanias but would have the exploration mechanics of metroidvanias.

All that being said, I respect IGA.  I reserve my opinion of Cox until the LoS sequel comes out and I play it.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »
Cox is just the producer.. the man with the money.

The one you're dealing with is ENRIC ALVAREZ.. the scenario writer.. main designer and overall director of MercurySteam.. He designed the gameplay.. he wrote the story. Even the screenplay.

Cox is just the PR side of Mercury.

Everything comes full circle

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »
Cox is bad for PR, then. Fire him and hire Bill Murray. He's so baked these days, he'll do anything. And no one can hate Bill.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
Well, for one, I wouldn't give him the suffix -sama.  He isn't Japanese.

I give everyone a suffix, sometimes, like Gunlord.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »
prunlorduu~

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
Well he sure as hell ain't a -sama. He's a -san or -kancho or a -sensei (or -chan if you're fuck buddies). Calling Cox a -sama is an insult to the actual -sama recipients in the world.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
You're just mad because you're not a -sama.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »
Cox is just the producer.. the man with the money.

The one you're dealing with is ENRIC ALVAREZ.. the scenario writer.. main designer and overall director of MercurySteam.. He designed the gameplay.. he wrote the story. Even the screenplay.

Cox is just the PR side of Mercury.

..aand all the individual directors of Metroidvanias and pre-LoS 3DVanias  are to blame, not IGA?

Tags: