Dracula9's Kain
3 (27.3%)
Dracula9's Servbot
0 (0%)
Kokushibyō's Zero
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: March 31, 2015, 11:53:54 PM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: March 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest  (Read 22572 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: March 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »
Darkman, why are the pixels all fucked up on the sprite? They're certainly not in the right resolution to be SotN styled. They're all different sizes, offset, and overlapping their surrounding pixels.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 03:34:05 PM »
Darkman, why are the pixels all fucked up on the sprite? They're certainly not in the right resolution to be SotN styled. They're all different sizes, offset, and overlapping their surrounding pixels.

Really dude?

The resolution is 144 at 2X Zoom and 72 at 1X.

And that is hand-drawn from scratch so forgive the overlaps.

I chose SOTN because that is what the style I thought the sprite closely resembled.  What do you think? Suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:41:55 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 04:11:55 PM »
What did you use to make it? I really have no idea how you got the result you did if you were spriting in any normal manner. Regardless if you did it from scratch, if it was sprited at actual resolution there is no way the pixels could overlap. I just have no idea how you got it the way it is.

Without redoing it, the best you could probably do is shrink it tot he actual SotN size and touch it up from there. That would then become your final version, and you'd upscale the zoomed versions from that new final version.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2015, 06:17:59 PM »
All he's saying is that the "look" isn't quite there.

That Alucard's at 2x scale, whereas your Raziel towers over him. It'd be different if Raz was ten feet tall, but in-universe he's likely around 5'8 or so, even less considering his usual slightly hunched stance. The size you have him at now is closer to Dumah's height.

The complaint about the pixels is a little easier to explain. Without intending to give offense, it does kind of look like you drew the sprite with the square-block tool, rather than the typical pencil tool for spriting.

I understand firsthand (and then some) the immediate feeling of defensiveness when confronted with uzo's criticisms, but in this context I don't think there's a real need for it. Aside from saying the pixels look fucked up (which when compared to SotN's sprite style they kinda do), it's not like he outright insulted your work; he's just trying to figure out how you got it done.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »
I didn't get the impression he was upset or insulted. It's hard to tell in text but his post didn't come off that way to me.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 07:19:18 PM »
I didn't get the impression he was upset or insulted. It's hard to tell in text but his post didn't come off that way to me.

Ha, takes alot more than that to get me upset!

Besides no reason too.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback!

As for my style yes, I indeed drew the sprite in photoshop with squares because I like that pixelated look. I draw all my sprites in that style. I have a Wacom but for spriting I just use a mouse.

I also purposely drew it big so that when I had to scale it down I wouldn't lose that detail, but judging by that Alucard you provided that put my sprite in scale.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:23:46 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »
Guess I misinterpreted, then. The "dude, seriously?" comment is what made me think you'd gotten bothered.

My bad.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 06:06:41 AM »
Guess I misinterpreted, then. The "dude, seriously?" comment is what made me think you'd gotten bothered.

My bad.

That was more sarcastic than anything dude.

Don't jump to conclusions not everyone is out to get you D9! ROFL

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 06:14:52 AM »

:P

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
Somebody show us Kratos!

The worst monsters are human.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
As for my style yes, I indeed drew the sprite in photoshop with squares because I like that pixelated look.

Yeah, that's going to screw it up because you're not doing it at the actual resolution. Vectoring pixels is going to make them look really screwed up when you try to reduce it. Zoom in and do it pixel by pixel.

You should be able to salvage it by what I described above though for this one. Good luck.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 02:00:32 PM »

Judgement: by tribunal and popular vote from March 28th to March 31st at midnight and Winners announced on the morning of March 1st (or earlier if the judges are already done)

@Shiroi
I think you mean April 1st?(or is it a joke?)

Thought I'd just point it out.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 11:09:08 PM »
Thanks Don. Ahahahaha. April fools just got way too early.  :)

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2015, 12:43:57 PM »
Another 2 more!!!

Wren from Phantasy Star IV The End of the Millennium

(click to show/hide)

Journey

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120324152638/journeygame/images/f/fc/-Journey-PS3-_.jpeg

Oh I almost forgott if someone want to use my sprites I 1st want that send me a pm to talk about, just to know of which game it will be and there are some works that im planing to use but dont want to say which are so thats the other reason I want a pm.
 darkmanx_429 if you can add this to my works it will help me a lot (in the post Dungeon Bestiary Sprite Contests Entries and Winners) or Shiroi Koumori, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:50:29 PM by Jop »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2015, 11:50:29 PM »
Added Jop's 2 more entries. That makes 4 sprites from him.
I also added your pm thing on the first post.

Tags: